Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Area to live in Dublin 1

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I need to find an apt in Dublin 1, as my husband needs to get the Red Luas Line and I need to get the Dart to go to work.
    I have heard Dublin 1 is not a good place to live, but as I need to find a place there, I wonder what would be the best are within Dublin 1 to live.

Thank you,

Bia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I live in on Capel Street its actually a good bit quieter than I thought it would be at night. If you find a nice place here I would definitely recommend it. Because a lot of the buildings are very old you can find some gorgeous places with original features our apartment has sash windows and 15ft ceilings with loads of really nice ornamental plastering we absolutely love it! Our apartment was the first to become available in the building for three years so I would imagine it would be quite competitive if you did find somewhere available.

Good luck with the hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jimmii wrote: »
    I live in on Capel Street its actually a good bit quieter than I thought it would be at night. If you find a nice place here I would definitely recommend it. Because a lot of the buildings are very old you can find some gorgeous places with original features our apartment has sash windows and 15ft ceilings with loads of really nice ornamental plastering we absolutely love it! Our apartment was the first to become available in the building for three years so I would imagine it would be quite competitive if you did find somewhere available.

Good luck with the hunt!

That would involve the o.p. either walking to Connolly or getting the Luas down to get the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you are OK with newer "soulless" areas, there are good apartments around the George's Dock / Mayor Square / Spencer Dock LUAS stations and you can also walk to Conolly Station and get DART from there. No big grocery shops but an Small M&S, a Mace, an a few Spars and Centras. A few decent restaurants as well,even though it is a bit quite on the weekend - and the very centre of the city is within 10-15 minutes walk anyway.

Ask people who are familiar with the area before you commit to a specific place in Dublin 1. Some areas are perfectly fine, but others are seriously dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Birneybau wrote: »
    That would involve the o.p. either walking to Connolly or getting the Luas down to get the Dart.

Would definitely be a pain getting to Connolly each morning its a nice place in Dublin 1 to live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 beatrizramos

Thank you!
    The docks sounds good to me, as long as it doesnt take more than 10 min walk to the Dart.
    I could also live close to Abbeys Luas station and get the Dart at Tara. Does anyone know any nice area around there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thank you!
    The docks sounds good to me, as long as it doesnt take more than 10 min walk to the Dart.
    I could also live close to Abbeys Luas station and get the Dart at Tara. Does anyone know any nice area around there?

No worries. Yes all the areas I mentioned are between 2 and 10 minutes walk from Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bob24 wrote: »
    If you are OK with newer "soulless" areas, there are good apartments around the George's Dock / Mayor Square / Spencer Dock LUAS stations and you can also walk to Conolly Station and get DART from there. No big grocery shops but an Small M&S, a Mace, an a few Spars and Centras. A few decent restaurants as well,even though it is a bit quite on the weekend - and the very centre of the city is within 10-15 minutes walk anyway.

I agree with this. (OP, if you are searching online, the area will be referred to as the IFSC.) I lived there for two years and loved it. There is a massive apt complex behind Connolly Station called Custom House Harbour. The sheer size of the place gives you a good few apts of differing sizes and layout to choose from. They were built in the late 80's. The decor will be quite dated, but they were very solidly built and are relatively easy and cheap to heat, compared to the newer builds.

Connolly Station is a 60 second walk away, as are the Connolly and Georges Dock Luas stops. There is a Supervalu & a Tesco on Talbot St and a Dunnes a little bit further up. O'Connell St is a 10 minute walk away. The area doesn't have the best of reputations, but it is such a busy area in general, with people going to/from Connolly Station, Busaras. I felt pretty safe, as long as you exercise good common sense. As the IFSC has so many businesses and a college, it can be a bit souless on weekends and at night, but there are often events set up at Georges Dock (Oktoberfest, Christmas Market etc) so there can be a bit of buzz when they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 beatrizramos

Thank you for the tips. I'll search for Ifsc and custom house then, great! Thank you

Advertisement