Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty wholegrain pasta and rice?

• 17-02-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

We have fresh white pasta once or twice a week and white rice around three times a week. I would like to replace these foodstuffs with their wholegrain alternatives. I have had brown rice in the past and I was not crazy about it but I want to reintroduce it to our diet to help avoid fast release carbohydrates. Is there anywhere that sells wholegrain pasta, fresh rather than dried if such a thing exists, and wholegrain rice, that are just as healthy as but tastier than the products available elsewhere?

I realise asking this wholegrain rice and pasta may just be things that are all standard, and what you buy in Aldi, Dunnes, or Marks and Spencers, may be the same as what you buy in a health food store?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It really is a matter of just getting used to the fact that it tastes/feels a bit different.

I mixed brown rice in with white and wild rice for a lovely side dish in the past but I actually generally prefer brown rice these days. It tastes of something, which white rice doesn't really.

I could never get my head around the texture of brown pasta though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I put a stock cube in with the rice when it's boiling. It's lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try Camargue rice (red wholemeal rice from France).
    Go to an Asian store and try red cargo rice (similar to Camargue), brown Thai rice or brown basmati rice.
    You'll also find buckwheat soba noodles there which are lovely and are really much the same as pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

I used to be disgusted by brown rice and pasta but sort of forced myself to eat it at the time (Used plenty of sauces to mask the taste for a while!) Couldn't go back now to the white stuff! Try to hang in there. It's like someone told me before about olives, you just need to eat enough of them and you'll begin to like them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I put a stock cube in with the rice when it's boiling. It's lovely!

with brown rice?
    Try Camargue rice (red wholemeal rice from France).
    Go to an Asian store and try red cargo rice (similar to Camargue), brown Thai rice or brown basmati rice.
    You'll also find buckwheat soba noodles there which are lovely and are really much the same as pasta.

Havent seen those varieties, Asian stores usually sell white (processed?) rice from what I can tell. Thats where I get my rice, Im sure its better value.
    But, I havent seen brown rice or bigger sacks of it?

I must try Soba noodle, I was sure it was japanese, the asian stores I visited seemed to cater to other asian backgrounds, I must keep an eye out for Soba, but I think there are some more specifically Japanese asian stores in Dublin city centre, any on the outskirts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cerastes wrote: »
    with brown rice?

Yup. It's lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cerastes wrote: »
    with brown rice?

Havent seen those varieties, Asian stores usually sell white (processed?) rice from what I can tell. Thats where I get my rice, Im sure its better value.
    But, I havent seen brown rice or bigger sacks of it?

I must try Soba noodle, I was sure it was japanese, the asian stores I visited seemed to cater to other asian backgrounds, I must keep an eye out for Soba, but I think there are some more specifically Japanese asian stores in Dublin city centre, any on the outskirts?

My local Asian store sells loads of different rices - the ones I mentioned would be in 1kg bags rather than big sacks.
    The soba noodles I have are actually from Korea but most Asian stores will have a few basic Japanese ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Any of these stores around Naas, Tallaght, or Dundrum!? Maybe some of you have ordered online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Also, are you specifically talking about wholegrain buckwheat soba noodles? Are they just as healthy as brown pasta? I have read some soba noodles are wholegrain, some are not, and the best place to find wholegrain is in markets aimed at eastern europeans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

dusf wrote: »
    Any of these stores around Naas, Tallaght, or Dundrum!? Maybe some of you have ordered online?

There is a good Asian Supermarket in Stillorgan, not that far from Dundrum.
    I've only been once, and I wasnt looking for rice, so cant comment on the range, but worth a try, its good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

huskerdu wrote: »
    There is a good Asian Supermarket in Stillorgan, not that far from Dundrum.
    I've only been once, and I wasnt looking for rice, so cant comment on the range, but worth a try, its good.

It's a great spot. I use it all the time. I haven't checked it out for wholegrain rice and pasta but they have a wide selection so it should be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I quite like tescos organic wholewheat spaghetti. It has an unusual taste but I like it and it works really well in a stir fry. Tescos wholewheat fusilli is fairly alright and romas wholewheat penne. I've tried tildas and romas brown basmati and both are quite nice. I think blue dragon do wholewheat noodles which are good too. I also found brown rice vermicelli in Eurasia but only found it the once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

dusf wrote: »

There's one near liffey valley, think it's called Eurasia. It's over with smyths and nct centre

Advertisement