Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pruning Lavendar

• 17-02-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi folks, an update on my learnings in a new garden.... I pruned the roses back (successfully?) on the weekend, and deadheaded my hydrangea back to the next buds.

I have a couple of established lavendar, medium size and health looking, though with a number of dead flowers still. Would now be an appropriate time to prune the lavendar? Or just deadhead it for now. (I've read online that its best to do it in autumn, but its obviously too late for that.)

I was also given four shrubs in pots, but have no idea what they are. I took photos to post, but now realise I can't post them here as a newbie. Will have to take them to a garden centre I guess.

Thanks.

Comments

can you pm photos as a newbie? or a link if you have them on a picture hosting website. ill put them up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

tmq wrote: »

I have a couple of established lavendar, medium size and health looking, though with a number of dead flowers still. Would now be an appropriate time to prune the lavendar? Or just deadhead it for now. (I've read online that its best to do it in autumn, but its obviously too late for that.)

You prune lavender in the end of summer right after blooming by cutting 1/3 of it down (what is rouhgly the annual growth with the flower on top). And from the rest you take away 2/3 in late winter/early spring. That could be done now. But you have to be careful if its a mature plant and wasn't pruned in recent years. In its lower parts lavender starts to lignify if its not pruned on a regular base and if you cut this woody parts it might not recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a good cut back then, but be sure not to cut into any woody growth. I'm near enough to the sea, so hopefully there will be little chance of any severe frosts now (says the naive new arrival!)

Suresanders, I sent you a PM with a link, as I couldn't attach the pictures. Not sure if it will work...

Much appreciated!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8ykRoH

Here is the link for the four pictures. Glad I could help. I'm a beginner too. Ill chance my arm and say the second on is a hebe of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm no expert but I think the first one is a Viburnum, second one is Hebe, third one is Photinia Red Robin and can't think of the name of the last one is.

I'm sure other more knowledgeable gardeners will give you further feed back.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Suresanders, glad that worked.

I look forward to hearing the identifications... then i might know where to plant them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

tmq wrote: »
    Thanks so much Suresanders, glad that worked.

I look forward to hearing the identifications... then i might know where to plant them!

The first one is a Viburnum tinus and the other three are all different Hebe varieties, good for near the sea!

So, thanks to your leads, I've tried to narrow it down a bit further simply googling images of plants I've found online. At this stage I think they are:

Plant 1: Viburnum tinus 'Gwenllian'

Plant 2: Hebe Elliptica

Plant 3: Hebe Mrs Winder or Autumn Glory

Plant 4: Hebe Great Orme

Happy to be corrected or confirmed on any of these!

The good news is they all look easy enough to grow, particularly in coastal Dublin. The Hebe's don't look like they grow very large (only 1-1.5m) so I might even put one or two of these in large pots.

Advertisement