Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Deposit Issue

Options
  • 17-02-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

We moved into this house without paying a deposit (just the month's rent up front) as agreed with the landlord, and that the deposit was to be paid in four instalments with the monthly rent starting January. We got in contact with the landlord last November to tell him our financial circumstances had changed and we would be able to begin paying him immediately, which he was fine with. We lodged the rent and first instalment that month, and paid the second and third instalment in December and January separate to the rent (days apart) but have full evidence of this in our bank statements. The last payment is due next Friday and we have it ready to go with the rent.

LL contacted me today to tell me that he has documented evidence of one payment, being the one in November and politely requested that with next month's rent we include the second instalment, and so on until April. I forwarded him screenshots of our online bank statement with the reference numbers of all lodgements made, which clearly showed we have made three of the four lodgements. LL is set up as a saved payee on my account, so the separate lodgement is going to the same payee as the rent (which he has received every month without issue) so I know it isn't a case of it going missing. He's said that he believes that I lodged it if I say I do, but he has no record of it.

Just to cover our own selves here, does the record on our bank statements from bank transfer with his name on the reference for each one stand as proof that we did, in fact, make the payments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Check with the bank to see if it went through, and to double check it went to the right person. To be honest, it sounds like the landlord either didn't cop the money coming in or is just trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Check with the bank to see if it went through, and to double check it went to the right person. To be honest, it sounds like the landlord either didn't cop the money coming in or is just trying to pull a fast one.

He just rang the bank there and they confirmed he received lodgements from us on the dates we provided so we're all clear. I'll be keeping a closer eye on things in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Did he assume the extra payments would be coming in with the rent money and maybe didn't cop that they were a few days apart? I would contact him again to tell him you have checked with your bank and that they have confirmed the payments have been credited to his account. That way he cannot make out you did anything wrong.

Advertisement