Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need 520 in Leaving Cert (5th Year)

• 17-02-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Well as the title says I'm looking to get 520 minimum (aiming for higher but realistically speaking that more than enough to get into my course and I do not want to fall, I "aim for the moon, and even if I miss, I'll land among the stars")in the Leaving Cert 2016, I am currently a 5th year and the subjects I am doing are English (H), Irish (H), Maths (O), Biology (H), Business (H), French (H) and Geography (H). I am really stressed out already, because of the lack of study I've done so far. I am fluent in French and if I do not get complacent in the subject I am very confident of an A1.

My best subjects excluding French are probably Business and Geography. Despite doing Higher Irish I struggle with it to say the least but in my opinion I need it due to me doing Ordinary Maths, but I am going to a Gaeltacht in the Summer to improve it and I will most likely get grinds when I am in 6th year.

I really want to get into my preferred course, but I can never find the motivation to study, but after this midterm break I really want to try put the head down and see how well I can do in the Summer Exams, and see how close I am to reaching this 520.

How much study a night should I be doing after doing realistically? Also are Revise Wise or Less Stress More Success books much use? Because I was looking at investing in them, anything that can help compress these 3 bulk subjects (in biology, business and geography) is much needed.

Appreciate you taking the time to read this and thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Don't worry about taking a break this week, I'm in 6th Year and have orals and practicals taking place in the coming weeks and I still am taking a break.

Anyway, in 5th year, not a lot of study needs to be done, honestly. Make sure you do your homework to a HIGH standard. You will end up using it for revision in 6th Year.

If you have a class test coming up, revise for it from the day you are told about it. If you're learning new material in class, make sure you understand it before you leave the class and if you don't ask your teacher on the way out. A lot of my teachers never told us about tests until the day before, they did this to make sure that we were doing our homework and revision. Get on the good side of teachers this year, especially in subjects that have a practical or oral component. It will be easier to talk to them about your projects etc. and they won't feel like they're wasting their time on you.

In regards to study, no more than 70 minutes a night extra should be done on top of your homework. Choose two subjects a night, each with a 35 minute period for study. Make sure it's targeted study too, not just "I'll look over X, Y and Z". Go and say "I'll make a mindmap of wave nature of light and revise the experiments associated with Light, Sound and Waves"*

*(I don't do your option subjects nor do you do Physics but it's just an example)

Make room for freetime, if you have training or you like to go running or if your hobby is reading, they're also important. Have time in your evening for you, you'll go insane if you are surrounded by textbooks 24/7.

Learn how you learn, I learn best using bright colours, figures and diagrams. I watch videos on Youtube on all my subjects, or listen to podcasts. You might find it easier to simply write out text, read it and learn it, we're all different.

The most important thing to do in 5th Year is to keep up with work every night and then study for your end of term tests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

I thought I did quite a lot last year and then I start seeing study logs from 5th years!! Not saying I don't agree with it, maybe I could have done much more than I realised. Anyways all I did was homework and study for classtests, summertests last year and I think that's enough. At this stage you might only have what a 3rd done? Keeping up to date with hw and school much more important. Notes u make now might be no use to u next year, mine sure aren't.

Advertisement