Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Ladybird of 2015!

• 17-02-2015 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Just come in from my garden after a mooch around examining shrubs and estimating amount of work ahead over coming weeks and months.

To my astonishment I found a ladybird, is this a sign of a scorching summer to come. Funnily I also found a bee on my driveway last week.

Spring has sprung !:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No! beat you there! Saw a cluster of about 6 ladybirds on a twig, last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just come in from my garden after a mooch around examining shrubs and estimating amount of work ahead over coming weeks and months.

To my astonishment I found a ladybird, is this a sign of a scorching summer to come. Funnily I also found a bee on my driveway last week.

Spring has sprung !:)

A pleasant and welcome surprise indeed But I would have thought still a little early for them to be active after winter dormancy? Many hibernate in dense trees, which is why it is not unusual to find a few confused stragglers indoors in December after being abruptly woken and falling off the Christmas tree.

A pleasant and welcome surprise indeed But I would have thought still a little early for them to be active after winter dormancy? Many hibernate in dense trees, which is why it is not unusual to find a few confused stragglers indoors in December after being abruptly woken and falling off the Christmas tree.

The ones I saw were on the south east coast, a tight cluster on an exposed twig in quite cold weather. They certainly were not active, though it didn't seem like a very sensible place to hibernate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wouldn't have been much of a holiday for them, I saw 2 Christmas week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First pic wins the prize!

Actually come to think of it, did anyone think the ladybird numbers were up last year?

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    First pic wins the prize!

Actually come to think of it, did anyone think the ladybird numbers were up last year?

Yes, I seem to recall there were loads of them - and this was the year before http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/08/21/meanwhile-in-wexford-8/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, I seem to recall there were loads of them - and this was the year before http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/08/21/meanwhile-in-wexford-8/

Wow look out greenfly!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Wow look out greenfly!

Come to think of it I recall there were not many greenfly last year, did anyone else think the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Not sure if I'm right to post here but it's ladybird related!! I moved into an old apartment that has four large sash windows that are south facing. Everyday I am finding a couple of dead ladybirds on the window sills :(

Sometimes they are still alive, is it better to leave them where they are or put them outside, to increase their chances of living?! It's terrible to keep finding dead little guys, I don't mind leaving them inside at all if it's better as I presume they just had a nest over the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Can you post a photo of them? These might be the invasive species of ladybird. You don't want them released.

• Advertisement

There are black ones with red spots and vice versa? I'll get a picture up, thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a bee came into the garden over the weekend and was fairly big

also my tulips are still not even in bud yet and I usually have them practically in full bloom by Paddys day, what does that say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I think those black ones might be the invasive Harlequin ladybird. Might want to post a thread in the nature forum as people there can confirm. They are bad news

thread here on them - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080535&page=2

Advertisement