Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Cong

Options
  • 17-02-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to get my first ever salmon and on the fly, I tried lots of places last Eg. Drowes and The R.Clare With no luck, Last year i was getting my Spey casting better! So i herd there's a Free section, How's it for the fly?I'm a student and i don't really want to pay 40+ day tickets.. So if you have any info or tips that would be very appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Also if you could recommenced me some flies that would be great

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The free section isn't really great fly water except in summertime when the water drops a lot. Even then it's very limited in length and you're competing for space with bait fishermen. Most people fish the shrimp or worm on that section.

Zzippy wrote: »
    The free section isn't really great fly water except in summertime when the water drops a lot. Even then it's very limited in length and you're competing for space with bait fishermen. Most people fish the shrimp or worm on that section.

Thanks how much is it for the Ashford castle beat? it be worth paying for day around St Patrick's day on Ashford beat? Have you fished there your self??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No idea how much Ashford is, I'd say it's out of your budget though from your first post. Paddys Day is a bit early for salmon, there'll be the odd one but April on is when Cong starts to produce.

Zzippy wrote: »
    No idea how much Ashford is, I'd say it's out of your budget though from your first post. Paddys Day is a bit early for salmon, there'll be the odd one but April on is when Cong starts to produce.

Yea but I'll just go in March as tester and then I'll go April, what flies would u recommend??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Come down to cork I'll get ya a day ticket for very resonable money on my beats on the blackwater ,I'd wait until may/June to be in with a very good chance

The beats produce a good number of fish on fly every year

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Mid march was when Cong started to produce Salmon last year. Buckets of Kelts there now and the river is open . River will fish the fly well in spots at the right level , too high now.
    That been said angling pressure will be low for the next 2-3 weeks. It is only open for salmon and not trout , Fisheries will be keeping a close eye on it.
    Above the weir is public , below is Ashford . To my knowledge Ashford do not lease beats , seems to be a free for all , when its busy it is very like Alaskan combat fishing.

Advertisement