Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapists in Carlow Town.

Options
  • 17-02-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't want to drag up old threads.

Can anyone recommend a good Physio around Carlow town,

I was recommeded Clint Wilkie and a search of the Carlow thread he seems to recommended quite abit as well.

Problem is I just checked his website Physio Carlow and it states he and his staff will no longer be working in Carlow.

Any other suggestions from the good folks on Boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I go to willie power with my back he is good he takes me in late in the evenings after work. I use to go to Clint but found it hard to get in when needed shame he isn't in town anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Without looking for gory details, would someone like Star Geoghan be of use for your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Without looking for gory details, would someone like Star Geoghan be of use for your issue?

It's nothing to gory thankfully I gave up smoking a few years ago and piled on the weight over the last 6 months I have started to take that weight off :D I've dropped 3 stone in that time.

But now I feel the wear and tear on my my knees and shoulders.

Star Geoghan was the one name I did know but I thought he only worked with athletes etc that's why I probably crossed him out. He's up by the Credit Union isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Star is out the kilkenny road. His daughter is the one who does most of the non athletics she is good but no where as good as star. I have used most in town unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Have been to Willie power myself & can recommend, have heard good things from lots of different about Marie Malone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Star Geoghan by a country mile. The old man would be fussy about who he would see but swore by Star. Visited him a few times and he is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've heard mixed reports about Star. Some swear by him and I don't think my brother was especially fussed when he went quite a few years back.

My sister who is a physio herself would have gone to Maurita in Rivercrest in Graiguecullen.

I've gone to Damien Sheehan/Carmel over Kelly's Pharmacy in Graiguecullen and I'd recommend him and her (neither are physios to my knowledge but rather sports rehabilitation therapists).

I found Clint Wilkie too prone to spending a large section of the session talking and making the same point over and over rather than actual hands on work or explaining exercises to do and he was very expensive per session. Although the advice he did give me at the time was spot on and I'll acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Didn't know that Clint had stopped working in Carlow. I guess I will be following this thread also.

When speaking to my some people last year on this topic they mentioned that star is actually a sports therapist and not a physiotherapist so not 100% what the difference is but was told that for the knee issues I had from running to go see Clint at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thanks everyone a couple of names there for me to ring around and talk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

tommycahir wrote: »
    Didn't know that Clint had stopped working in Carlow. I guess I will be following this thread also.

When speaking to my some people last year on this topic they mentioned that star is actually a sports therapist and not a physiotherapist so not 100% what the difference is but was told that for the knee issues I had from running to go see Clint at the time.

Physios have a much broader knowledge. It'll cover respiratory, stroke rehabilitation, ante-natal care for women etc.

Sports therapists don't have a specific qualification or set standard (not that it is specifically a criticism) in the way Chartered Physios would.

You could have sports therapists that are hip/knee/ankle or back experts for example with a greater knowledge in that area than a physio with a degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement