Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG Vs Chelsea

• 17-02-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hey, just noticed there was no match thread set up.
    I am in work so can't add any glitz or glam to this but it should be a cracking game!

Come on Chelsea!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

10/10 for effort

1/10 for content :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

The plentiful 'Omgz Chelsea are so amazing in the transfer market' brigade in the media will be shut up if PSG and David Luiz win the tie so here's hoping they do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

No sexy pictures of Zlatman?

This thread has let me down.:mad:

Unlike Chelsea who will win tonight, owww yeah!:D

Chelsea travelled with 22 players, only John Obi Mikel misses out due to a knee injury, Cesc is meant to have a bug and is rated as 50/50 also.

PSG have a few injury concerns and its hard to guess who'll be fit and playing for them.

PSG team I'd expect

Sirigu
    Marquinhos Silva Luiz Maxwell
    Veratti Motta Matuidi
    Lavezzi Ibra Cavani

Chelsea XI

Courtois
    Ivan Zouma JT Azp
    Cesc Matic
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Costa

Hopeful of at least scoring and giving us something to fight for in London.

1-1 or even a 2-1 loss sint the end of the world, a win would be brilliant but PSG are unbeaten in 32 European games at home.

Godot. wrote: »
    The plentiful 'Omgz Chelsea are so amazing in the transfer market' brigade in the media will be shut up if PSG and David Luiz win the tie so here's hoping they do it :)

Must have missed that article.

• Advertisement

Chelsea are amazing in the transfer market in the last few years, especailly getting rid of surplus players. :confused:

How PSG stumped up that money for Luiz is mind boggling and theyre a very capable side so I wouldnt be shocked to see them win, didnt help them last year and I dont it will here either.

Chelsea to go through over the 2 legs.

Any other channels other than TV3 (shudders) this is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Panthro wrote: »
    Any other channels other than TV3 (shudders) this is on?

ITV HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Not really. If they win we don't have to give them the £50m back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Roy Keane is going to be in the ITV studios tonight! 2-2 I reckon!

http://www.the42.ie/reasons-excited-roy-keane-return-punditry-1941910-Feb2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Chelse to nick a win or scored draw.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had no idea CL was back this week, woohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Not really. If they win we don't have to give them the £50m back.

But Chelsea wouldn't be able to win the trophy, they'd only have £50m in the bank.
    If PSG win the results of Chelsea having such an amazeballs balance sheet that we are constantly reminded of wouldn't be showing where it counts - on the pitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

But Chelsea wouldn't be able to win the trophy, they'd only have £50m in the bank.
    If PSG win the results of Chelsea having such an amazeballs balance sheet that we are constantly reminded of wouldn't be showing where it counts - on the pitch :)

David Luiz could score a hatrick of overhead kicks and getting £50m for him will still be amazeballs

TBH I'd much oprefer the 50m, it allowed us to bring in a better CM and play a CB who will eventually be better than Luiz, its a win-win-win situation for Chelsea.

If we go out, its no big deal, this year is all about the league, everything else is a welcome distraction, upcoming league cup final included.

We're expected to win the league while the UCL is a different kettle of fish.

If PSG win the UCL this year I'll never mod this forum again, I'm that confident that,

a) they wont get past us.
    &
    b) if they do, they wont win it.

David Luiz could score a hatrick of overhead kicks and getting £50m for him will still be amazeballs

That would be amazaeballs though, maybe not worth 50millino but the entry fee, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Just have a look at the Premiership table mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Great potential this unless Mourinho decides to suck the life out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Like LVG did with United ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

GavRedKing wrote: »

a) they wont get past us.
    &
    b) if they do, they wont win it.

Bagsy being the next mod on here so !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Carpentry wrote: »
    Like LVG did with United ?

There's been no life in United for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Does anybody know would Marquinhos have played many games at right-back? Just going by Gav's team prediction, I always thought of him as a strictly centre-back.

3-3 would be fun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I hope we going to see Costa - Unchained tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Does anybody know would Marquinhos have played many games at right-back? Just going by Gav's team prediction, I always thought of him as a strictly centre-back.

3-3 would be fun..

He has started playing there more frequently since the turn of the year. Before that, Luiz and Silva were both struggling for fitness so he got a good few games at CB.

Lately with Luiz and Silva both fit and starting to form a partnership he Blanc has started playing Marquinho's at RB. They haven't lost a game this season that Marquinho's has started.

If he does start tonight they will have an all-Brazilian back 4.

0-0 going back to the Bridge wouldnt be a great result IMO, not to a slightly inferior side anyway, we'll go for it, now if we can manage it is another thing, our away form and performances have been poor for a few weeks now.

Bagsy being the next mod on here so !

Name in the hat, anyone else want in? :D

Carpentry wrote: »
    I hope we going to see Costa - Unchained tonight :)

Costa vs the 2 Brazilian CB's should be interesting tonight.

All of his Chelsea goals have come in the league so it would be a good time to score in Europe.

Hes nearly always been benched for the FA/League/UCL games with Remy or Drogba starting.

• Advertisement

Been reported on Twitter that the Chelsea bus has collided with a wall coming into the stadium.

Insert parking bus jokes here

<___________________>

:pac:

PSG team (apparently)

Sirigu
    V.D.W Marquinhos Silva Mazwell
    Matuidi Verrati Luiz
    Cavani Ibra Lavezzi

That PSG team is confirmed, waiting on Chelseas XI

Chelsea is

Courtis
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Cesc Hazard
    Costa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Can see Chelsea getting at least one tonight, leaking no more than that. Anything with Carlos Valderluiz in it will let in more than what the Titanic did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Be interesting to see what Chelsea will be like defensively. Have not looked solid the last few months.
    They are very lucky Lucas isn't fit he would destroy Azplicueta with his pace.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what Chelsea will be like defensively. Have not looked solid the last few months.
    They are very lucky Lucas isn't fit he would destroy Azplicueta with his pace.

I'd have much preferred Zouma over Cahill but I iamgine the experience of Cahill is getting him selected tonight.

If he has a poor game our worse, costs us goals, he'll be droppped probably for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

subs Cech, Filipe Luis, Zouma, Oscar, Cuadrado, Drogba, Remy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

PSG team (apparently)

Sirigu
    V.D.W Marquinhos Silva Mazwell
    Matuidi Verrati Luiz
    Cavani Ibra Lavezzi

Looking at that back line makes me wish more than ever that the Drogba of yester year was still available. He would have bullied those centre backs without doubt!

Still think we have too much in the tank for a team not performing well in their own league. Hazard has to potential to dominate VDW and the game but I imagine he will be closely watched by Matuidi/Luiz as VDW will need the back up. This could open up the rest of the midfield where Chelsea on paper are just far stronger in every area.

A two goal winning margin here tonight should wrap it up and I think is very achievable so I just hope we go for it.

peteeeed wrote: »
    subs Cech, Filipe Luis, Zouma, Oscar, Cuadrado, Drogba, Remy.

Those 4 attacking players can change the game if we need it.

Happy with the bench although I'd prefer to see Cahill on it. :mad:

Looking at that back line makes me wish more than ever that the Drogba of yester year was still available. He would have bullied those centre backs without doubt!

Still think we have too much in the tank for a team not performing well in their own league. Hazard has to potential to dominate VDW and the game but I imagine he will be closely watched by Matuidi/Luiz as VDW will need the back up. This could open up the rest of the midfield where Chelsea on paper are just far stronger in every area.

A two goal winning margin here tonight should wrap it up and I think is very achievable so I just hope we go for it.

PSG started like a team possesed last year and took an early lead, a dodgy penalty brought us back into and we hit the post shortly afterwards, for the rest of the game they were in control really.

Even though on paper its a 4-2-3-1, I can see Cesc dropping in and filling in and ,atching PSG 3 man CM combination when needed, Ramires and Matic should have enough to get around and provide a screen if Cesc is trying to playmake and we're caught on the break, as been mentioned, Lucas not playing is an advantage, his pace and trickery is immense and a real outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I'd have much preferred Zouma over Cahill but I iamgine the experience of Cahill is getting him selected tonight.

If he has a poor game our worse, costs us goals, he'll be droppped probably for the rest of the season.
    Cavani & Ibrahimovic are not strikers with alot of pace. If Chelsea were up against a very fast striker Zouma would play. He was superb up against Lukaku last week.

Chelsea is

Courtis
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Ramires
    Willian Cesc Hazard
    Costa

Very glad to see Ramires get the nod here tonight. A lot stronger defensively than Cesc and one of the few players in world football that can match the athleticism of Matuidi.

PSG's midfield looks pretty defensive with Verratti likely to pull the strings and luiz getting distracted by something shiney. Matuidi is likely to be the one making the bursts from the middle which Ramires should hopefully nullify.

Willian and Matic should help our fullbacks with Cavani and Lavezzi leaving JT and Cahill to handle Ibra. I'm thankful Ibra is not pacy.

Verratti should be occupied by Cesc and vice vearsa so I really think we have our team selection right on the money.

PSG started like a team possesed last year and took an early lead, a dodgy penalty brought us back into and we hit the post shortly afterwards, for the rest of the game they were in control really.

Even though on paper its a 4-2-3-1, I can see Cesc dropping in and filling in and ,atching PSG 3 man CM combination when needed, Ramires and Matic should have enough to get around and provide a screen if Cesc is trying to playmake and we're caught on the break, as been mentioned, Lucas not playing is an advantage, his pace and trickery is immense and a real outlet.

PSG are not the same team as last year and Chelsea have improved a lot. I agree I could be under rating PSG but as a Chelsea fan I find it hard not to believe we will win every game comfortably :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

PSG have been underwhelming this season overall but have been much better lately. They drew with Lyon away recently but dominated impressively. I wouldn't read too much into their 2-2 home draw at the weekend, they were apparently down to 9 men when both goals went in (2 injuries).

Chelsea should shade it over the two legs but I reckon it will be close.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Cavani & Ibrahimovic are not strikers with alot of pace. If Chelsea were up against a very fast striker Zouma would play. He was superb up against Lukaku last week.

Part of me wants Cahill to f**k up and not start a game again but the rest of me wants us to win with no Cahill mistakes. :o
    Blatter wrote: »
    PSG have been underwhelming this season overall but have been much better lately. They drew with Lyon away recently but dominated impressively. I wouldn't read too much into their 2-2 home draw at the weekend, they were apparently down to 9 men when both goals went in (2 injuries).

Chelsea should shade it over the two legs but I reckon it will be close.

It will be close thats for sure, I cant see eith er team running away with it and the game being a dead rubber in London barring a crazy set of circumstances with cards/injuries/goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

2-1 win with a colossal screw up by Cahill for their goal, sorted

duploelabs wrote: »
    4-1 win with a colossal screw up by Cahill for their goal, sorted

Fixed that. :cool:

Playing Luiz where I wanted Chelsea to play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TV3 :(

Wait....

Brian Kerr! All is forgiven TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

TV3 :(

Wait....

Brian Kerr! All is forgiven TV3.

Commentary or punditry?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement