Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting Payments

Options
  • 17-02-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been building a new payments system over the last few months which is now live.

I've integrated the system into some of my client's websites, and both my clients and I are getting great use out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JDU0OcL2M

I'm trying to gain feedback from other sources so would appreciate feedback of any capacity, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

That looks really nice and easy to use. I tried a couple of similar options and there was a lot more work involved in being able to just send a straight forward invoice your system looks a lot more like something I would actually use! Are the payments processed via stripe by any chance? Looks almost identical to the card processor on their dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

jimmii wrote: »
    That looks really nice and easy to use. I tried a couple of similar options and there was a lot more work involved in being able to just send a straight forward invoice your system looks a lot more like something I would actually use! Are the payments processed via stripe by any chance? Looks almost identical to the card processor on their dashboard.

Thanks, yes my main focus was to make the process as simple and quick as possible.

Yes, the payments are processed by Stripe. The system also allows you to add items (products and services) in the dashboard, which you can link to from your main website... where your customer will see the exact same payment page, with the item details and price.

Do you plan to make money from it?

jimmii wrote: »
    Do you plan to make money from it?

Yeah I've already sold it to a few of my clients.

It's integrated into your own site, such as www.yourdomain.con/pay

oo7 wrote: »
    Yeah I've already sold it to a few of my clients.

It's integrated into your own site, such as www.yourdomain.con/pay

Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its nice but was is stopping the customers using stripes or PayPals own UI to send the invoice out? Eliminating you're UI in the process?

Unless of course you are incorporating it directly into your clients erp or something in which case your offering more api customisation and webui work.?

Thanks guys.

The software has a few other features in the backend along with a very useful dashboard too, however i didn't want to cram all of that into the video... as i purely want to demonstrate the ease of use and simplicity of the process.

Yes, one of the main benefits is that it's integrated into your own site and can be customised to adopt the same look and feel of your website.

PayPal has a very high CAR (cart abandonment rate) in Ireland, and like many other payment systems, they have far too many steps.

I've designed click pay with a view of stripping out as much as i can out of the usual payment process - 'if it's not needed, then don't ask for it'.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Great application!, whats it built with? Did you do it all yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Buttercake wrote: »
    Great application!, whats it built with? Did you do it all yourself?

Looks like RoR to me anyway

Going to sound like a killjoy but I do hope you have success with this but why would I use your/buy application over using PayPals send invoice option?

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Looks like RoR to me anyway

Going to sound like a killjoy but I do hope you have success with this but why would I use your/buy application over using PayPals send invoice option?

No problem at all... i welcome all feedback, and your point is very valid.

If you try to build a product for everyone, you'll end up with a product for no one :-)

I initially built this because it solves a problem that i have... and it solves a problem that many of my clients have.

Why Would You Use This Application (over PayPal):

01 - this system is completely branded and integrated into your own website, so your customers are not redirected to a third party website
    02 - you can create items (products or services) via the admin dashboard, and embed simple 'buy now' or ‘book now’ buttons on your website, where your customers will be directed straight to the payments screen and can complete the payment within seconds (much quicker than any commerce system that is currently out there (results in a very low CAR) )
    03 - a lot of people have a resistance against PayPal (for many different reasons)
    04 - PayPal is not mobile friendly
    05 - PayPal has a very high CAR (cart abandonment rate)
    06 - PayPal has too many steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

02 - you can create items (products or services) via the admin dashboard, and embed simple 'buy now' or ‘book now’ buttons on your website, where your customers will be directed straight to the payments screen and can complete the payment within seconds (much quicker than any commerce system that is currently out there (results in a very low CAR) )

this is a great USP

Cool, thanks... i didn't want to mention this in the video, as it might complicate the system for some users. The main problem that it solves is 'getting paid quicker and easier', so i wanted that to be the main USP for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

We use xero.com to issue our invoices with the paypal link on the bottom.

Can it be included on their invoices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Did you ever pass a PCI audit? It's no joke.
    What does the back end look like?
    It is a serious thing to enter the payments industry, and to care for other people's card data.
    I wish you good luck, but I seriously doubt you know what you are in for.
    Processing card data? Got breach insurance? Vetted your processor's PCI audits?
    Did they vet yours? I'd say the answer to all questions is no, and if so, major red flags right there.

Are you clickpay.com? If not, don't you think they will object to you coming up with a very similar product to theirs, using the same name? Looks like you haven't done your homework.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fuzzy wrote: »
    It is a serious thing to enter the payments industry, and to care for other people's card data.
    Did they vet yours? I'd say the answer to all questions is no, and if so, major red flags right there.

Are you clickpay.com? If not, don't you think they will object to you coming up with a very similar product to theirs, using the same name? Looks like you haven't done your homework.

Anyone involved with the processing, transmission, or storage of credit card data must comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). Stripe makes it easy to do so:
    • Serve your payment page over SSL, i.e., the page’s web address should begin with https, not http.
    • Use Stripe.js or Checkout to accept payment information and transmit it directly to Stripe’s servers.

https://support.stripe.com/questions/do-i-need-to-be-pci-compliant-what-do-i-have-to-do

WOW...

Serious statements (and almost accusations)...

To answer your questions... and a bit of background.

I used to work for Realex, and i'm very familiar with the payments industry and PCI compliance. I'm not sure if you lack knowledge in the same field or if it's a case that you didn't read the other posts in this thread.

All payments and transactions are carried out by Stripe.

All data transmitted to Stripe is encrypted via SSL (a requirement of the system).

All card details are processed and stored on Stripe's side / server (who are PCI compliant).

No payment details are stored in the system.

The user's email address is the only personal information stored in the system, which again is encrypted.

The name 'click pay' is purely a reference / term name for now, as I've only just finished building it, and will now look into the business side of the project if there is enough interest, which I can happily say there is now.

The system takes the name of the business that installs it, as it does not contain any branding other than the specific business that is using it.

There is no mention of click pay, in the code or on / in the system when a client is using it.

click pay is only listed in the video as I needed to put a quick reference name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

WOW...

Serious statements (and almost accusations)...

To answer your questions... and a bit of background.

I used to work for Realex, and i'm very familiar with the payments industry and PCI compliance. I'm not sure if you lack knowledge in the same field or if it's a case that you didn't read the other posts in this thread.

All payments and transactions are carried out by Stripe.

All data transmitted to Stripe is encrypted via SSL (a requirement of the system).

All card details are processed and stored on Stripe's side / server (who are PCI compliant).

No payment details are stored in the system.

The user's email address is the only personal information stored in the system, which again is encrypted.

The name 'click pay' is purely a reference / term name for now, as I've only just finished building it, and will now look into the business side of the project if there is enough interest, which I can happily say there is now.

The system takes the name of the business that installs it, as it does not contain any branding other than the specific business that is using it.

There is no mention of click pay, in the code or on / in the system when a client is using it.

click pay is only listed in the video as I needed to put a quick reference name on it.
    Yeah I didn't realise it was just a front end on stripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

It looks nice and don't get me wrong I can see the appeal to some users but there are a ton of systems out there that already do this. How do you plan on standing out? And what is the ballpark you plan on charging for this? As there are very similar systems really cheap out there if not free.

Yeah I didn't realise it was just a front end on stripe.

It's not "just" that... anyway, moving on...
    It looks nice and don't get me wrong I can see the appeal to some users but there are a ton of systems out there that already do this. How do you plan on standing out? And what is the ballpark you plan on charging for this? As there are very similar systems really cheap out there if not free.

Thanks Salamanca, yes absolutely, there are 1000's of invoicing and accounting systems out, and a lot of very good systems too. I've tried a lot of them, and many of them are bloated and overloaded with features for my individual needs, so i decided to build my own.

I initially built the software for my own use and to solve my own problem, however once i started issuing invoices to my clients via the new system, a lot of my clients asked me what invoicing package i was using, and therefore i decided to create the promo video, and offer the system as a service.

My system has stripped the payment process back and cut out as many steps as possible, while still remaining PCI compliant. I also don't like the idea of redirecting a customer to an external 3rd party site, so i wanted something that was integrated and became part of my own website (and many of my clients seem to want the same thing).

The system is not intended to replace your current accounting software by any means at all, as it's not an accounting package... it's simply an add on to your existing site to facilitate and simplify invoice payments and the purchase of products and services on your website.

In short, the main advantages over other systems are:

01 - the payment process is stripped back to the bare minimum, making the process much quicker
    02 - the system is integrated and becomes part of your own website
    03 - you can sell products and services through a system that has a much less CAR compared to other ecommerce systems

however, the system was not designed or built to compete with other packages, but it really does what i designed and intended it to do very well - "make getting paid easier and quicker, for both businesses and customers".

I don't plan on running the system as a startup or as a separate business at all, as far too busy with other ventures / startups, however it's there for anyone who wants it.

It might be worth adding something like "powered by stripe" the big thing for using stripe/PayPal etc is these are big names that people trust some may be a bit apprehensive about entering card details on random websites they really know little about.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jimmii, i totally agree that it adds trust, and actually had it there at the start, but a few people asked "what Stripe was" and some others felt it looked a bit "third partyish" :-)

I was planning to hold off for another few months until Apple Pay is released which will greatly help Stripe's brand and awareness.

Thanks Jimmii, i totally agree that it adds trust, and actually had it there at the start, but a few people asked "what Stripe was" and some others felt it looked a bit "third partyish" :-)

I was planning to hold off for another few months until Apple Pay is released which will greatly help Stripe's brand and awareness.

Yeh I guess Stripe is still something people who only read the business pages will know about for now you would have thought with it being two Irish guys they might at least have got some more mainstream press over here. As you say presumably that will change when Apple Pay is fully rolled out.

Yeah, they've made great progress and have a great team behind them now.

I think people are more familiar with the guys' names and origin, in comparison to their company's name :-)

Advertisement