Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Marathon 2015

Options
  • 17-02-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Anybody registered for this May Bank Holiday Monday marathon? I have taken the plunge once again and hope to pb in just under 4hrs. Heading up from Dublin on the morning and have room in the car for any fellow boardsies who are running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭runnerboy

Entered last week, got my number in the post today. Never ran Belfast but heard its hilly in parts in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭runnerboy

Entered last week, got my number in the post today. Never ran Belfast but heard its hilly in parts in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Can certainly vouch for the climb onto the Falls Road - Antrim Road but the spectator support was excellent. Anything more than a dished path or road ramp after 20 miles last year had a "north face" feel about it for me last year. Had to go back again this year, with another years training under the belt, to do justice to myself and the course. Really enjoyed '14 and the experience inspired me to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jmccann

Was thinking of doing Belfast marathon this year - Did Great Limerick Run lasty year but no too keen in repeating? Is Belfast worth doing/enjoyable??

Cost wise it was one of the cheaper marathons until the euro nose dived!!!!! It works for me principally because it suits to train during the winter months in particular. Likewise the weather generally tends to be kinder (not too warm) and there is plenty of varied scenery en route. I cannot compare this event with others as I dont have too much experience but it appeared to be well organised. There were plenty of pacers, well tended and frequent water stations and handfuls of jelly babies from well wishers. I traveled from Dublin (90 minutes) on the morning last year and parked at Queens, walking to the start in about ten minutes.

I suppose that it has enthused me to go back again this year so that is a +1 for Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

After racing this last year I'll be back this year as a training run.
    It's mainly made up of relay runners. You'll find yourself overtaking them along the way and also them overtaking you. It gets a bit congested at the change over sections and the water stations use cups so get practicing drinking from one. Energy drinks were also in cups, I was handed something blue but declined.

The route is interesting and you'll see parts of Belfast that you might not normally get to see. I really enjoyed it last year and it is great value.

A big bonus is your race pack being posted out, so I was able to drive from donegal on the morning of the race.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/6487883

Good luck to all doing this on Monday.
    I'm gonna give it a bit of a bash and try and knock a few minutes off my pb of 3:21. But not gonna stress about it.
    Weather looks good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Yeah good luck folks, be another slow one for me but fcuk it :)

Just finished the porridge and on the way out the door to Belfast. All the training done but feel like I need an energy bounce this morning!! The start line will help. All the best to anybody taking part.

Well, hope youse all had a good run, it got warm and it got windy but was a pretty good day for running.
    Got myself a pb so ya can't ask for much more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement