Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog boarding questions

• 17-02-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 3 year old jack russell terrier. My fiancée and I have always been very lucky in that family and friends look after him for us when we go away, however we're going to have to start getting him used to the idea of kennels for the wedding next year cos all his usual babysitters will be at the wedding! So I'm wondering about the following:

1. Vaccines. I realise he'll have to be fully vaccinated, and have just realised I never got him his boosters this year. So, do I need to start from scratch with his vaccines again? How long does it take to have him fully covered again?

2. Do you need to have anything else for a kennel? He'll be wormed and flea treated before going

3. Do most kennels allow you to bring his own food? I'd prefer he stay on his regular food

4. Any recommendations for a good kennel in Cork city or nearby?

Thanks in advance! We're not getting married til next year so I'm not in a rush but I'd like to start easing him in with a night or two over the next couple of months so that we're all comfortable with it before the wedding!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

1. Vaccines. I realise he'll have to be fully vaccinated, and have just realised I never got him his boosters this year. So, do I need to start from scratch with his vaccines again? How long does it take to have him fully covered again? Your vet can tell you this, he might be ok with just a booster, last time I checked some of the companies making vaccines were not insisting on annual boosters

2. Do you need to have anything else for a kennel? He'll be wormed and flea treated before going Kennel Cough Vaccine, no good kennels will accept a dog without it

3. Do most kennels allow you to bring his own food? I'd prefer he stay on his regular food Yes, some also discount the rate if you provide the food :)

4. Any recommendations for a good kennel in Cork city or nearby? No help here I'm afraid :) Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Would you go for a home boarding set-up OP? Where your pooch would go and live in someone's home while you're away. There's a great girl in Cork, I think over in the north-west of the county near Kanturk, who does home boarding. Her name is Ilse Sas, she's also an excellent dog trainer AND groomer! I don't know where she gets the time!
    As he facebook link is to her rescue page, I can't break the charter by linking you to it (I'd have to infract myself :D), but I can PM it to you if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Oooh, yes please DBB, if you could pm me that would be great! Might be more similar to what he's used to when we go away too, i'd like to keep stress to a minimum all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

pampootie wrote:
    1. Vaccines. I realise he'll have to be fully vaccinated, and have just realised I never got him his boosters this year. So, do I need to start from scratch with his vaccines again? How long does it take to have him fully covered again?
    You can check with your vet if you need to restart him or if you'll be covered with just a booster. Phone and ask when he last got the vaccine and ask if it's necessary to restart. Also, along with the yearly booster, most kennels will require you to have your dog vaccinated against kennel cough. This is an intranasal vaccine and needs to be done about ten days before you intend to board your dog if they require it.
    pampootie wrote:
    2. Do you need to have anything else for a kennel? He'll be wormed and flea treated before going
    Nope! Unless you want to bring a blanket or something familiar to the dog.
    pampootie wrote:
    3. Do most kennels allow you to bring his own food? I'd prefer he stay on his regular food
    Yes, that would be fine in most places I would imagine.

Best of luck!

Advertisement