Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Athy/Castledermot to Citywest

Options
  • 17-02-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of buying in Athy/Castledermot area and i'm wondering what the commute is like from here to Citywest campus each morning. I can be flexible in my start time so could leave even around 6.30-7.30.

Also, reading alot about Athy having a bad reputation on here. Don't want to cause a war but would Castledermot and surrounding area be any nicer? I know it is closer to the motorway so i'm leaning towards there. I'm also considering Carlow area but haven't looked into it as much yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Athy is grand, all towns have their problems, I never did that commute so no idea on that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Castledermot to Naas at 6.30 is about 15 mins and maybe another 10 on to Citywest so 25 mins to Citywest give or take 5 mins. Gets longer the later you leave it. I'd say a 45-50 min journey if you left Castledermot at 7.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

ken wrote: »
    Castledermot to Naas at 6.30 is about 15 mins and maybe another 10 on to Citywest so 25 mins to Citywest give or take 5 mins. Gets longer the later you leave it. I'd say a 45-50 min journey if you left Castledermot at 7.30.

Wow, excellent commuting times. Getting up on time to leave at 6.30 is the problem :P

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Wow, excellent commuting times. Getting up on time to leave at 6.30 is the problem :P

Well what time do you have to be in at. After 8.30 in the morning the traffic dies off again and it goes back to a 20-25 min journey. My big thing would be the trip home. The M7/M9 junction can be a fücking nightmare in the evening as can the first Naas exit. Trips of 2 hours from Citywest to M7/M9 junction aren't uncommon between 5 and 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Well what time do you have to be in at. After 8.30 in the morning the traffic dies off again and it goes back to a 20-25 min journey. My big thing would be the trip home. The M7/M9 junction can be a fücking nightmare in the evening as can the first Naas exit. Trips of 2 hours from Citywest to M7/M9 junction aren't uncommon between 5 and 7pm

Between 7am and 9am so that would allow me to leave around 3.30pm with 7am start which i'm guessing would be fine as less volume. The trip home sounds like a nightmare as i could have to work late some evenings each month. I guess i am lucky that i can start early though. I'm guessing the commute from Athy would be pretty similar?

• Advertisement

After 6.30 in the evening the main rush is over and its not too bad. Athy would be about the same time wise and if I had a choice I'd take Athy. It has more in it than Castledermot.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Castledermot to Naas is 30 minutes in the summer 40 minutes in the winter.
    I've driven it for 11 years.
    Citywest would be 15 minutes on from this Northbound.

The 3 into 2 choke at the ball will crucify you Southbound though, hit it nearer 4pm than 5pm if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

When husband goes from Citywest Campus to Athy, whether leaving at 4, 5 or 6, it's approx. 45mins and that includes through Athy town which has brutal traffic itself.

I think 45 mins is pretty good to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Castledermot/Athy to Naas is almost 50km - so for it to take 15min suggest a speed of almost 200kmh - not advised.

Castledermot to Citywest is 65km - probably 40min to 45min on a totally clear run.

As for differences - Athy has a lot more life (bigger population) and half decent train service and obviously a bigger selection of housing. Its about 5km closer to Citywest using the old N78 route too.

Castledermot would have more of a village feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Citywest is absolute hell to get out of between 5 and 5.30pm due to how badly designed it is - its normal for roundabouts to just be blocked with cars trying to merge and get out. Once you escape there you will be stuck again at the naas exit where 3 lanes merge to 2.

Best bet is to try and leave about 4 / 4.30 to beat the traffic. Other wise wait til 6 / 6.30 when its died down.

Fridays are always carnage unless you can leave by 4. Every friday there are delays on the N7 or where the N7 goes to M7. It can take hours.

If you can get someone to show you the back roads from saggart or rathcoole into kill and naas that might be a help as you can avoid the N7 if its really bad.

In the mornings you will be grand if you are leaving early. Traffic is only bad really for an hour at 8 / 8.30 unless theres a crash. If there is traffic Getting into citywest is quicker if you go down to kingswood then over the citywest bridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement