Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's a rebuilding of an existing line so does not need to be going through the planning system.

all ryan did is give the go ahead for it's rebuilding based on all the information put forward to him, which was obviously sufficient to justify it happening given that much bigger rail investments have taken decades to come to fruition.

so the attempt to claim it was a specific project down to him is a failure and just anti-ryan nonsense because he has had to bring in modernisation that is and will be coming regardless and which is necessary to meet our vital climate obligations.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, as I posted earlier, it predates Ryan by years. He came into office in 2020, but SPFC commissioned the scoping study in 2014 and detailed design was done by 2019. All Ryan did was sign off on an already formulated plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Like so many of your posts, this is nothing more than your opinion, devoid of facts, sources and punctuation, and consequently very unconvincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Economics101

Your point about not having to go through the planning system is irrelevant. Some sort of cost-benefit or other form of economic and financial appraisal should have been done, as public funds were being used. Planning is another matter entirely.

the thing is that i don't need to convince you or anyone of anything here.

the line is being rebuilt, it's happening, it's ultimately over for it's opponents.

• Advertisement

it's like a lot of things TBH, just people blaming ryan for stuff that was happening anyway or would be happening anyway or had majority support regardless of him.

it obviously did go through some sort of economic apprasal hence it's happening.

if the details aren't published that's on the relevant authorities but there is no way in hell this line just got rebuilt cause reasons or cause ryan something something that was nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

The Foynes Branch is just the longest siding in Ireland. That's it. It is nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

After watching the video above, my first thought was also "where are the necessary facilities at the port?" I assume they would require planning permission so were dropped, much like raising the level of the bridge which had to be replaced. Presumably they'll scramble to add them later should they find a customer.

This project just happened to tick some relevant boxes; it didn't need planning permission, cost was <€100m so didn't need Cabinet sign off (just the civil works though, signaling, Level Crossings, etc. will likely push it over but will be a separate contract), had TEN-T to hide behind, aligns with policies regarding sustainability (in theory at least), IE are semi-state so more autonomy, etc. therefore got through with little scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Economics101

@end of the road "it obviously did go through some sort of economic apprasal hence it's happening."

Sorry, but are you saying that because it went through an appraisal this ensured the project would go ahead? Appraisal might be (or should be) a necessary condition for a project, but it is not a sufficient one: there also has to be some sort of political decision.

I any event, whare is the appraisal? What about FOI on this? I know I can't prove a negative, but I refuse to believe that these was an appraisal until I see the evidence.

• Advertisement

nothing stopping you from putting in a FOI yourself if you want to, let us know how it goes and the details when you get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Foynes is part of the whole culture of the "Railway Delusion" in Ireland. Politicans create deulsions of new railways lines and then this is sold to the population as a kind of religion. It is always backed by 'scripture'. Plans, engineering drawings, working reports etc. All designed to have the population keeping the faith. Most of the West of Ireland thinks there is a railway from Limerick to Donegal coming soon. There isn't. People in Dublin think a Metro is coming - look at the fanatical evangelists in the Infrastructure forum salviating over plans and drawings like they are the Dead Sea Scrolls. No metro is coming to Dublin. Here is some kind of belief that ships and mines will be filling the Foynes Branch with freight trains. What happened to mega Railfreight Hubs of last year? Again, sermons for Railway Faithful.

None of this is happening. Irish politicans are like the Bishops in the 1940s and 50s. Emigrate if you want any of this stuff.

foynes is being rebuilt.

metro is happening this time believe it or not.

athenry to claremorris will be reopening, but when who knows, however beyond there to sligo won't.

there will be no line that way to donegal, that will come via a line from derry perhapse when the abomination of partition is undone which it will be eventually thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HMS Erebus

You're quite right, I stand corrected - thanks. Not a case of 'the Brits are at it again' after all!

Advertisement