Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

100% wrong on the Maigue Bridge. Planning permission to raise the height of the bridge is required and the plan to raise the height of the bridge has not been dropped, it's deferred pending planning permission. The failure to obtain planning permission in advance of the works commencing has added €1.5m to the cost of the bridge works, although given that this is an IE estimate the real additional cost will likely be a multiple of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They can redo the bridge as a later date, it’s not like they’d have to close the line to traffic while they’re doing it since it won’t have any.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The line is to be opened without the bridge being raised. The odds of it being revisited at a later date once reinstated are slim. It's as good as dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

given dart+ would free up a lot of stock in the coming years you wouldn't need brand new.

the 2800s aren't the hardist worked fleet either so they could stretch a bit further probably.

i don't see passenger services myself either but if there were it would be ran with cascaded stock.

new stations and signalling would certainly add a big enough chunk to reinstatement costs granted.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

ultimately it can and it has been used to justify the reopening.
    the where the investment can't be justified exemption is for where the port never had a railway and you would have to barge through a mountain or build a large viaduct over a river.
    but foynes doesn't tick any of those boxes so the exemption doesn't apply because it's a very easy and cheap reinstatement to do in the great scheme of things.

• Advertisement

all would be more expensive then rebuilding especially as the rebuilding has clearly been justified.
    it has no potential as a greenway, nothing of tourist value as anyone visiting the flying boat centre would be going via road.
    the line won't be a white elephant, 20 or 30 trains a year is still trucks off the road.

they will have been.

the government should publish it all if they haven't already but i suspect even if they did some wouldn't except it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cameltoe86

As someone who travels the n69 a lot....Will this take much traffic off it when it opens? Maybe I'm wrong but Foynes isn't crazy busy from what I see when I pass. Are they taking trucks from Foynes Engineering off the road also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The new road which will be complete by 2029 will take alot of the traffic off the N69. The 150 million plus euro railway line will take virtually nothing off the road, there will be more weeks of the years than trains on it every year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The new Limerick - Foynes road will take a lot of traffic off of the N69. You'll be unlikely to see a HGV on the N69 between Limerick and Foynes once that opens. The railway though is unlikely to make much of a difference.

• Advertisement

Yeah I figured the road would be taking the brunt of the traffic. A bit further down the road than the rail road but it's coming none the less so happy days.

Out of interest....would the motorway to Foynes actually be quicker than going the n69? Currently it's about half hour to Foynes from say the start of the motorway, but the new motorway goes around by rathkeale, but it's still a motorway 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IIt Will probably be dual carriageway from Foynes to Rathkeale and motorway from that on.

Ya it will be faster.it will not be much longer only 3-4 km. You will cover the distance in about 25 minutes compared to about 40 minutes now

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks all. Glad I found this as was very curious about this for a while now but couldnt find much info on it. Havent been on Boards in years also. Have been following Dronehawk (who I can see has been shared here) and I think hes great. I live in Castletroy but travel via N69 about twice a week, so this info is good to know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Never use old roads when there’s a new one!

Advertisement