Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frampton VS Avalos ITV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Exciting stuff, some differance after changing over form the Fury fight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah, but I had been watching boxnation earlier and got used to none between rounds.

I don't have such luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This guy won't go down easily lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

efb wrote: »
    Christ will it get to 5???

Well called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was class!!

Good stoppage from the ref.

Every time I see him Frampton gets better. He's really top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Good stop, Avalos was getting battered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

He was getting battered. Justified stoppage.

efb wrote: »
    Gone for R5 or R8

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Framptons accuracy is frightening.

• Advertisement

He was taking big shots but I thought he was well able to continue. Great performance from Carl though. He makes sh*t of Quigg that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Framptons cheap shot in Round 2 turned it for him, more suited to wwe than ibf. I wanted him to win, but I wish he'd done it fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

McGuigan seems to think he won the fight himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Framptons cheap shot in Round 2 turned it for him, more suited to wwe than ibf. I wanted him to win, but I wish he'd done it fairly.

Nothing cheap about it, protect yourself at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Thought he was ok, but you could see in replay just after that last shot he took a massive wobble. Good stoppage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Some finish by Frampton. I thought the Stop was a bit early, but on seeing the slow-mo of the finish, Avalos was practically unconcious on his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Nothing cheap about it. If you knew anything about boxing, the first rule is protect yourself at all times

Avalos threw a couple of sly ones earlier on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

sbw is not what it used to be, Avalos is pretty soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sit down the **** McGuigan.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Avalos wasn't defending himself any more, all concentration on staying on his feet.

• Advertisement

Bit harsh there lad although I agree it was very important. Almost thought we'd have a Floyd-ortiz deja vu. The ref was at fault imo. Carl was well within his right to keep boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

It would have been a hard knockout if it wasnt stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The only annoying thing about the Frampton thing is McGuigan, a bit like Eubank with Jnr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

awec wrote: »
    Avalos wasn't defending himself any more, all concentration on staying on his feet.

And his waistband!

I thought Avalos should have got a standing count tbh, would have been fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

You can just decide to take a break in the middle of world championship fight. You wouldn't do that as a novice amateur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

WTF

He p*sses all over Quigg if you ask me! Though, the Rigondeaux comment was a bold one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

He was being stopped sooner rather than later. I'd have no problem with the stoppage and I don't think Avalos o his corner protested it.

Anyway I'm delighted as I managed to spin up my PP account cash with a Fury-Frampton stoppage Double :)

Although the Quigg fight would make sense, he only holds the second tier WBA belt. Should be going after LSC and then Rigo. It'd be a good stay busy fight though.

• Advertisement

There was no standing count rule in effect.

In most juristictions there isn't.

Play to the the ref

Ridiculous statement.

Anybody who know anything about boxing (and I do mean ANYTHING), knows the first rule in boxing is 'protect yourself at all times'.

Avalos just decided to stop boxing, what was Frampton supposed to do? The referee never said 'stop' and that's the only instruction he has to obey.

megadodge wrote: »
    There was no standing count rule in effect.

In most juristictions there isn't.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He p*sses all over Quigg if you ask me! Though, the Rigondeaux comment was a bold one!

What did he say about Rigo ?
    Quigg fight as a stepping stone to LSC ?

check out this guys face 7:52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭stooge

Wasn't that impressed by Frampton tonight, moreso I was unimpressed by avalos. Really strange fight, but definitely the right decision at the end especially after viewing the replays. Avalos was gone and another punch could have done damage.

The thing I'm most annoyed about is Barry mcguigan. Running and jumping about like an uncle at a wedding. Very embarrassing.

I think Carl should even try fighting Nonito Donaire before going near Rigo. Donaire is just after dropping down to Super Bantam again and a title fight would be very attractive to him and he is in decline and would be a great win for Carl and he'd learn lots from it.

check out this guys face 7:52

That guy was nothing more than a club fighter and he knocked down Rigo twice if I remember. I would take that performance with a grain of salt. It gave me hope that Rigo could be beaten. Sure Rigo beat him to a pulp but it shows he can be knocked down. That would be vital for Carl.

• Advertisement

check the "knockdowns" - I wouldnt say he was ever in any danger at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

kilns wrote: »
    The only annoying thing about the Frampton thing is McGuigan, a bit like Eubank with Jnr

The Mcguigan vibe strikes me as being pretty intense and I think Frampton also needs an experienced voice in the corner for some of the fights ahead!

I think Donaire is lose lose and he's a step above Quigg. With the momentum he has at the moment I think they should roll the bandwagon on to vegas and try get the Cruz fight!

check the "knockdowns" - I wouldnt say he was ever in any danger at all

Getting knocked down twice by an unranked guy is pretty alarming. Imagine what an elite boxer like Carl could achieve? I will say that guy was freakishly tall for his weight and his reach probably played a part in his success in flooring Rigo but still Rigo is well into his thirties now. Carl has a chance. Rigo is kinda like Marquez in the way he gets dropped a fair amount in his fights but is rarely actually hurt badly by knockdowns. His recovery is excellent.

I wouldnt get too carried away with tonight - Avalos is soft and hes in the top 5, also with someone like Quigg - sbw lacks any depth these days, not Carls fault - Carl is best of the rest, but doesnt touch Rig or LSC to a slightly lesser extent

I wouldnt get too carried away with tonight - Avalos is soft and hes in the top 5, also with someone like Quigg - sbw lacks any depth these days, not Carls fault - Carl is best of the rest, but doesnt touch Rig or LSC to a slightly lesser extent

Then dont get carried away with Rigo beating an absolute bum. Avalos was a true test for any Sbw. And that's crazy talk, Sbw hasnt been as competitive since Morales and Barrera times. You have three legit p4p boxers there, all undefeated. I'd rank it in the top 5 divisions in boxing arguably top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Getting knocked down twice by an unranked guy is pretty alarming. Imagine what an elite boxer like Carl could achieve? I will say that guy was freakishly tall for his weight and his reach probably played a part in his success in flooring Rigo but still Rigo is well into his thirties now. Carl has a chance. Rigo is kinda like Marquez in the way he gets dropped a fair amount in his fights but is rarely actually hurt badly by knockdowns. His recovery is excellent.

Boxrec have Amagasa 8th, was 7th. Not exactly unranked. He also happens to an odd fighter for that weight as he's 5'10 and a reach of 71". When you're thinking Rigo is 5'4 and Frampton is 5'5, it's a big size difference.

• Advertisement

Then dont get carried away with Rigo beating an absolute bum. Avalos was a true test for any Sbw. And that's crazy talk, Sbw hasnt been as competitive since Morales and Barrera times. You have three legit p4p boxers there, all undefeated. I'd rank it in the top 5 divisions in boxing arguably top 3.

Scott Quigg and Avalos in top 5 sbw's, plus Martinez being considered as a serious contender... You don't have to go back as far as morales and Barrera. When Martinez beat Dunne he wasn't even considered a remote danger to the top sbw's at the time. And it could be argued he was at his peak about then.

Rig's record and reputation speaks for itself, you can point at the top 10 fighter and call him a bum, but if you do then its only because you agree sbw division lacks any depth, kind of contradicting yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Avalos was pretty ordinary, but Carl looked as sharp and strong as ever. Refreshing to see an Irish pro with a solid inside game.

As to Rigo. I've had my bellyfull of the nonsense surrounding him and boxers "afraid" to meet him. Whether it's on this forum or elsewhere. He's a man, with two arms and two legs. It's not like anyone has to move 3 weights to meet him. He hasn't done anything major in his pro career apart from a win over Donaire. He's in his mid 30s now. Man up and fight each other. You're meant to be hard an confident pro boxers. Listening to Barry it is Frampton who is number 1. Ok, go fight the best then.

Rant over

titan18 wrote: »
    Boxrec have Amagasa 8th, was 7th. Not exactly unranked. He also happens to an odd fighter for that weight as he's 5'10 and a reach of 71". When you're thinking Rigo is 5'4 and Frampton is 5'5, it's a big size difference.

Amagasa dropped down from Featherweight although I think he was ranked pretty decently there....no fights at SBW prior to Rigo...only reason he was ranked top 10 is because of the Rigo fight, lets be real here...and I already acknowledged his height advantage in a previous post. I am not blaming Rigo for taking the fight because he is one of the most ducked boxers there is, but I just wouldn't take much from his performance other than he can get knocked down...that's all I was saying.

And with regards to SBW, you also have Donaire there and Tomoki Kameda is soon to move up...two more p4p level fighters. The division was not stronger at the time of Dunne, nowhere close. That Kiko win was sheer luck lets be honest here. Dunne would get KO'd by Frampton, Rigo, Donaire and LSC in the best shape of his life and Quigg would also beat him. It's been a very long time where there was two SBW's ranked high in the ring's p4p (Donaire top 5, Rigo just outside top 10 prior to their fight) and there are several household names in the division...it's a thriving division, Frampton and LSC are nearly pushing for p4p status, Carl especially as Al Haymon is f*cking up LSC's prime years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Another win or two and Frampton is knocking on the door of the p4p lists

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

weemcd wrote: »
    Another win or two and Frampton is knocking on the door of the p4p lists

I like him and he's a good fighter but not near a P4p ranking at this point, needs to beat some top ranked fighters before you can even think of it. His next two fights would have to be Santa Cruz and Rigo and they won't be, Quigg will be next, who knows after that

• Advertisement
Advertisement