Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost estimates for PVC windows supplied and fitted

Options
  • 17-02-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm looking to put a triple glazed PVC window in a north facing gable end of my kitchen. If the window would be maybe 2m wide and 1.5m high with a single opening section, how much would I expect to pay for the window and how much to fit? Fitting to include making the hole for the window, adding the new head, installation and finishings as well as removing of all waste & rubble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Good luck with that one, Brian!

I contacted 3 of the biggest suppliers of doors and windows in Cork last Tuesday about pricing a french door and a window of similar size, plus a reglazing job. All 3 said they'd get back to me but I've heard absolutely nought since.......

Pathetic attitude! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Allow 275 a m2 for pvc triple glazed. Since you talking about one window id boost that to €300/m2

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

cronin_j wrote: »
    Allow 275 a m2 for pvc triple glazed. Since you talking about one window id boost that to €300/m2

Is that price just for the window or is the e300/m2 estimate similar to the guideline eXXXX/m2 to build a house?

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    Good luck with that one, Brian!

I contacted 3 of the biggest suppliers of doors and windows in Cork last Tuesday about pricing a french door and a window of similar size, plus a reglazing job. All 3 said they'd get back to me but I've heard absolutely nought since.......

Pathetic attitude! :mad:

I was wondering if that situation was going to apply to me. Sounds like there's a chance I could be doing a lot of shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

BrianHal wrote: »
    I was wondering if that situation was going to apply to me. Sounds like there's a chance I could be doing a lot of shopping around.

I sent out drawings for a new build to 5 window companies about 3/4 weeks ago, only one came back with a price. It makes it pretty hard to shop around and inevitably leaves you dealing with the larger companies.

• Advertisement

Is that price just for the window or is the e300/m2 estimate similar to the guideline eXXXX/m2 to build a house?

No that's what it will cost you for them to supply and install the window.

Double glazed pvc is 225/m2 where no window is below that cost. Triple glazed pvc is €275/m2. That's a bog standard window. If your going for fire rated glass or laminated you'll have to price it as I've seen the prices vary wildly.

tbukela wrote: »
    I sent out drawings for a new build to 5 window companies about 3/4 weeks ago, only one came back with a price. It makes it pretty hard to shop around and inevitably leaves you dealing with the larger companies.

You honestly need to hound them. Get the name of someone in their estimating dept and keep on to them. They are up the walls at the moment pricing all the school jobs that are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

I just saw this thread and I thought it might be worth shedding a little light on this area.

Window Suppliers are just that .. they supply and (normally) fit windows. Making openings, fitting concrete sills, plastering, painting etc is the normally the work of other trades.

Each of these trades will want a days pay for their work.
    Each will have costs in relation to transport / insurance.

EG:

So for one 1 window; 1.230m x 1.480m (1.82m2), lets take the rate quote above

at €300/m2 that is €619.71 incl VAT

To create an opening, fit a window, seal an opening and leave the room ready for use. Will involve

A labourer (to cut the opening and clean up)
    A Blocklayer (to positions sill and prep opening)
    A window manufacturer (to make the window)
    A window fitter (to fit the window)
    A plasterer (to replaster after fitting the window)
    A painter (to repaint the raw plaster)

The cost of materials and equipment;

Consaw to cut the opening
    Concrete sill
    Blocks
    Cement
    Window
    Window fitting materials (straps, foam, mastic)
    Plaster
    Paint / Brushes etc

Transport
    Fuel
    Insurance

and finally

A Margin (because everyone is entitled to at least try make a profit with their business)

VAT @ 13.5%

Would you take this job on at a price of €619.70 incl VAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TadasK

I'm looking to put a triple glazed PVC window in a north facing gable end of my kitchen. If the window would be maybe 2m wide and 1.5m high with a single opening section, how much would I expect to pay for the window and how much to fit? Fitting to include making the hole for the window, adding the new head, installation and finishings as well as removing of all waste & rubble.
    If you are still looking for a window with these specific requirement i could give you contacts of small renovation company that do custom windows and the wimdows are made and shipped from Scandinavia so they are fully sertified.

TadasK wrote: »
    If you are still looking for a window with these specific requirement i could give you contacts of small renovation company that do custom windows and the wimdows are made and shipped from Scandinavia so they are fully sertified.

This little project has taken a back seat right now but if it gets resurrected, I'll be back. Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement