Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Congreve nursery closed

Options
  • 17-02-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

The further decimation of mount congreve continues. First the house is ransacked of its historical interior and now the nursery is closed. Does anyone care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

The further decimation of mount congreve continues. First the house is ransacked of its historical interior and now the nursery is closed. Does anyone care?

I've got to confess, I'm not that fussed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I've got to confess, I'm not that fussed :(

Symptomatic of the feelings of Waterford people I suppose, none if us are fussed yet piss and moan about governments attitude towards us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

What's the source for this. I understood the nurseries were very successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The official announcement was closure due to cheap imports from Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Regardless of peoples opinion of Mt. Congreve itself its still more jobs lost. Which I think the city can do without at the moment ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The official announcement was closure due to cheap imports from Holland.

The Dutch themselves have some of the largest dealers in foliage taking imports from South and North America, South Africa as well as Eastern and Mid Europe and when you consider that they export up to 90% of all imports again within the EU it isn't hard to imagine that you could develop a nice business importing cheap flowers or produce to supply a local need.

(source) http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2013/2955/CutFoliageMarketReport2012.pdf

The real problem is the packaging of imported produce as being Indigenous, and before anyone jumps down my throat asking for proof, it has long been suspected that this is happening wholesale (excuse the pun) indeed you need only talk to some dedicated local producers to be told of cases where it has and is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Can't find any details on this, when did it close?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Can't find any details on this, when did it close?

http://www.mountcongreve.com/nursery

Don't be so lazy Daisy........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Regretfull,a desicion has been made to close Mount Congreve Wholesale Nurseries, attached to the world famous gardens, situated in the heart of County Waterford in South Eastern Ireland.

A list of nursery machinery available for sale, will be issued in due course.

It does not say when, I tried RTE website, bt cannot find when.....

Sorry.....

As homer Simpson says...
    “Goodness, I had no idea! For you see, I have been on Mars for the last decade, in a cave, with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears.”

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Thread has just been cleaned up, less of the personal abuse and let's keep it on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While it is a pity to see anything close, it is the wholesale nursery that has closed, the gardens and retail nursery are still open. It is important as a tourist and local amenity and it would not be sensible to channel money into a failing wholesale nursery when the rest of the site is operating ok.

Advertisement