Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Learner vest

• 17-02-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the cops do be pulling fellas over to check of they are wearing their learner vest, I dont want to be wearing it if I can get away with it, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I would suggest at least wearing a plain hi viz vest if not the L one. Tell the guard it's Laundry day if they stop you. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

zubair wrote: »
    I would suggest at least wearing a plain hi viz vest if not the L one. Tell the guard it's Laundry day if they stop you. :-)

Sound out, thats a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Sound out, thats a good idea

You can get two penalty points & a sixty euro fine for no 'L' vest or a vest with no 'L' on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You could wear worse on these dark evening mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

In my experience the l vest just makes a target out of you. Target for overtaking, and generally being considered a nuisance on the road. Works exactly opposite to the way intended. Kinda like thr amber light; rsa will tell u it means "prepare to stop" but we all know I means "floor it muther****er!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Roadcraft wrote: »
    You can get two penalty points & a sixty euro fine for no 'L' vest or a vest with no 'L' on it.

Started wearing my N-vest as soon as I heard about that. Was wearing a hi-viz anyways but why not throw on the the right one just to cover all basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

My experience of the L plate vest was like szaltan84's above. But I just wore a normal hi-viz while on the learner permit anyway. Every check point i came across i was always waved to move on, seems like most guards where i live dont want the hassle of the time involved checking a biker. I feel sorry for people wearing the N plates though, its just an L plate i disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I got pulled a couple of weeks ago and got a bollocking for not wearing the L vest, got a warning, however I'll never wear the N vest. They are pointless for bikes, I can understand N plates for cars but they are taking the p*** making bikers wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I got pulled a couple of weeks ago and got a bollocking for not wearing the L vest, got a warning, however I'll never wear the N vest. They are pointless for bikes, I can understand N plates for cars but they are taking the p*** making bikers wear them.

Why were you pulled in?

Can't remember what radio show it was on this week but there was somebody on complaining that when she passed her test her premium went up. Insurance logic was that she was more vulnerable having recently passed and she'd be no longer accompanied. People who have just passed their test are a higher risk.

I got my full A a few weeks ago but no need for N if you've held a full in any category for 2 years. I was covered by car licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Why were you pulled in?

Can't remember what radio show it was on this week but there was somebody on complaining that when she passed her test her premium went up. Insurance logic was that she was more vulnerable having recently passed and she'd be no longer accompanied. People who have just passed their test are a higher risk.

I got my full A a few weeks ago but no need for N if you've held a full in any category for 2 years. I was covered by car licence.

Yeah???
    They'll come up with anything these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

IMO the guards would only bring in the no L/N plates point if they caught you doing something else you shouldnt be, say carrying a pillion,speeding or just acting the bollox in general.

Wearing one isnt too bad tho! It functions like a normal hi-viz!

I get what people are saying about the L-plate acting like a bulls-eye for other road users. When I first started riding a bike I noticed a good few people driving up my arse. I was just barley doing the speed-limit and wasnt very confident on the bike. But Id say after about 3-4 months i noticed less and less cars doing it. 2 and a bit years later now all I see is the odd 1 in 100 doing it.

Anyways my point is I dont think people see an L/N plate and think "Lovely ... Im gonna cut this poor b*****d up" ... I think its all down to how confident you are on the bike. If your progressing and doing the right speeds in the right areas and just generally not being a nuisance youl be fine, with or without an L/N plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I heard numerous people saying the L plate made them a target etc but i found the opposite, i think a lot of people would give you more room and if you do something stupid which is possible as you are a learner it might actually help avoid an accident. I was happy to get rid of it when i got my license but its not something to be ashamed of. The N plate is a bit over the top though, even for cars, thankfully i have had a full car license for years so i dont have to wear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Started wearing my N-vest as soon as I heard about that. Was wearing a hi-viz anyways but why not throw on the the right one just to cover all basis.

Plus it's important to note
    Where the person was first issued with a learner permit on or after 1 August 2014, during the period the person drives under a learner permit
    and during the first two years while the person drives under a first full driving licence, then 7 Penalty Points = six months disqualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

The only time I ever wore the "L" vest was for my test and I don't have to wear an "N" as I've had a full car licence for years. But even when I was a learner in the car, I only put the "L" plates on the car the morning of my test (different times though). I'm so cool. :rolleyes:

If the guards are clamping down on it and people still don't really want to wear one, I'd advise one of the following:

1) Wear a hi-vis without "L" or "N" anyway. Does no harm and could be a mitigating factor from a guard's point of view.

2) Have the "L" or "N" vest under your saddle and dirtied up a bit. You can just say you forgot to put it on.

3) Actually wear the thing but wear a backpack over it. I usually have a backpack any time on on the bike anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Just wear it under your jacket technically you're still wearing it.:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

3) Actually wear the thing but wear a backpack over it. I usually have a backpack any time on on the bike anyway.

This is what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I kinda feel like any hi-vis seems to be some kind of eejit magnet.
    Maybe there's just a lot of stupidity out there, people who seem to think mopeds / motorcycles / bicycles are all the same thing or something and start sitting on your back wheel and trying to get past you when you're doing the speed limit in town. Or the one I've had a couple of times is coming out of town just leaving the 50 zone and about to engage the 'ol warp drive and I see some muppet pulling out trying to overtake me! 'da fuk!? Or today I had an N plate cage tailgating me then squeeze up to the stop line beside me at a t-junction instead of just queuing behind, and I'm thinking 'This person just passed a test!?'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Why were you pulled in?

It was 2am and I was driving home from work, stopped me to check tax, tyres etc... the usual, probably had nothing better to do and they decided to bring up the L vest too, they were fair snobby I will admit, must of had an off day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

L and N signs are an attraction for muppets alright. If they see a L plate they will try to overtake at first oppertunity (good or not so good) . These muppets won't overtake a squad car no matter how slow tis going ,just incase:rolleyes:. Apart from the muppets though others will give a bit of leeway to L platers.:)
    I'm sure with all the science and investigation into road accidents and behaviour somebody somewhere has come up with test results that show wearing a L plate is overall good/bad ????.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 DOD555

Just got my first bike today, bandit 600 so exciting times. Have all the gear except this learner vest which I probably should get, anybody know where to get one in Dublin city centre preferably? Or happy for anyone to donate an old one. Applied for the test so hopefully not have it for too long!

Ps: Cornwall insurance is the cheapest insurance company for new bikers, I got quotes from all the insurers but they were the cheapest, €506 for first time biker! 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

DOD555 wrote: »
    Just got my first bike today, bandit 600 so exciting times. Have all the gear except this learner vest which I probably should get, anybody know where to get one in Dublin city centre preferably? Or happy for anyone to donate an old one. Applied for the test so hopefully not have it for too long!

Megabikes on Wexford Street. Unfortunately I think I already gave my old one to someone but I'll have a look for it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Pm your address and I will send you my old one
    Just pass it on again when your finished with it.
    Lost.

They're like ~€10. Just buy one FFS!

Pugzilla wrote: »
    They're like ~€10. Just buy one FFS!
    Why? It's not like I want to keep mine. Rather than me dumping mine I offered to recycle it. Think it's fairly simple concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Exactly.

A fellow Boardsie gave me his as he'd passed the test and as soon as I pass my test, I'll pass it on too. Every little helps and it's only a temporary thing for each biker.

If you were living in the same town fair enough, but it seems like a lot of hassle for a vest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you were living in the same town fair enough, but it seems like a lot of hassle for a vest.

nah, sounds like a good reason for a road trip adventure

It's somewhat of a moot point anyway as he hasn't bothered to message, or reply here

Advertisement