Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTW travel - advice needed?

• 17-02-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I, single white female, am heading on my version of a round the world trip. Heading off in september. The theme will be mostly trekking. I would like to go off the beaten path if I can.
    I am willing to pay more to travel safely alone but I do not wanna pay through the nose for tours which I could do myself, with more information and courage.

Plan so far:

I wanna go to patagonia so - as the time to trek there is oct - march I am gonna start in latin america.
    Starting in mexico - then costa rica and nicaragua.
    Then columbia and then down to patagonia (chile/argentina? both? not sure).
    Then Oz/New Zealand.
    Then East - maybe indonesia, Myanmar, then Nepal/Tibet, not sure about SE asia or Northern India yet -not got that far.

But 1st Q: Should I get a RTW ticket or but flights as I go?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hi, I'm looking at a similar enough trip from this summer - CA, SA, NZ, SEA and finishing in Nepal/India. I can't figure out whether to get a RTW ticket or not either.

I've got a good few quotes and all seem to be expensive (around €4k). I originally planned to get the RTW ticket for the big flights at least and then just book the smaller flights myself but now I'm thinking of organising all flights myself as it seems like less of a headache!

I think I can do all my flights for about 4k (and not just the major ones) but don't know if I'm being too ambitious. But is one then missing out on some of the flexibility that the RTW ticket provides....

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'm looking at doing a similar RTW early next year myself. Bit nervous about the Central America section- so I'm thinking of doing it with G Adventures. They're an awesome company to travel with and mainly deal with smaller groups - think 12-14. Here's the Patagonia tour thats always intrigued me, but they have trips all around the world! https://www.gadventures.com/trips/end-of-the-earth/SAPE/2015/ I've already travelled with them through West America, Nepal (Everest BC) and NZ, and couldnt recommend them enough. Their prices are very good value all things considered and are geared towards solo travellers.

I've also done a fair bit of research into RTW flights, and from what I can gather, you'd be better off booking flights as you go. It doesnt work out much more expensive, and gives you far greater flexibility as you go.

How long are you going for and whats your budget, everything included? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

Cleanman wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at a similar enough trip from this summer - CA, SA, NZ, SEA and finishing in Nepal/India. I can't figure out whether to get a RTW ticket or not either.

I've got a good few quotes and all seem to be expensive (around €4k). I originally planned to get the RTW ticket for the big flights at least and then just book the smaller flights myself but now I'm thinking of organising all flights myself as it seems like less of a headache!

I think I can do all my flights for about 4k (and not just the major ones) but don't know if I'm being too ambitious. But is one then missing out on some of the flexibility that the RTW ticket provides....

wow our trip is almost the same - i am going to indonesia too.. before vietnam etc..
    Undertow wrote: »
    I'm looking at doing a similar RTW early next year myself. Bit nervous about the Central America section- so I'm thinking of doing it with G Adventures. They're an awesome company to travel with and mainly deal with smaller groups - think 12-14. Here's the Patagonia tour thats always intrigued me, but they have trips all around the world! https://www.gadventures.com/trips/end-of-the-earth/SAPE/2015/ I've already travelled with them through West America, Nepal (Everest BC) and NZ, and couldnt recommend them enough. Their prices are very good value all things considered and are geared towards solo travellers.

I've also done a fair bit of research into RTW flights, and from what I can gather, you'd be better off booking flights as you go. It doesnt work out much more expensive, and gives you far greater flexibility as you go.

How long are you going for and whats your budget, everything included? :)

i am thinking of getting a rtw ticket - its going to be 2500e. There are some flights that have to be booked well in advance like from chile to nz.
    I think that there is a good bit of flexibility as one can change dates for a small or no fee and one has to fly into out of the major hubs anyway.

I think it would work out the same - and it would be a lot of hassle/work for me to book all flights myself. I plan to get buses and train where possible inland - thats the best way to travel.

@undertow - i have been to CA last year - did some with intrepid - another great company - and the 2nd half on my own. It was totally fine on my own. I think that tours are great when you are stuck for time. I may use some tours where it is more cost affective - but there are things that I do not want that come with a tour. There are places where you might wanna stay longer and I feel that there is a lot of stocking fillers too - places where you would omit yourself. I but can understand the appeal.
    For me i want the freedom around the world - and to do some of the figuring out myself. I might use a tour for costa rica this year though as there is a lot to do there and i am under pressure to get to south america.
    Budget wise, I have not worked that out - not too worried - there will be continents that are more expensive/cheaper than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

sporina wrote: »
    wow our trip is almost the same - i am going to indonesia too.. before vietnam etc..

i am thinking of getting a rtw ticket - its going to be 2500e.

Yup - I'm going to Indonesia too after NZ and then working my way up to Hanoi so it's a very similar trip!

Do you mind me asking where you are getting the ticket for 2500e? Everything I've looked at is more expensive.

I haven't really looked into the adventure companies much but I will do over the next couple days and see if could work for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

sporina wrote: »
    Hi,
    I, single white female, am heading on my version of a round the world trip. Heading off in september. The theme will be mostly trekking. I would like to go off the beaten path if I can.
    I am willing to pay more to travel safely alone but I do not wanna pay through the nose for tours which I could do myself, with more information and courage.

Plan so far:

I wanna go to patagonia so - as the time to trek there is oct - march I am gonna start in latin america.
    Starting in mexico - then costa rica and nicaragua.
    Then columbia and then down to patagonia (chile/argentina? both? not sure).
    Then Oz/New Zealand.
    Then East - maybe indonesia, Myanmar, then Nepal/Tibet, not sure about SE asia or Northern India yet -not got that far.

But 1st Q: Should I get a RTW ticket or but flights as I go?

Thoughts?

are you gonna stay in hotels in bettween? a night of luxury goes a long way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Anyone rough idea what budget for the above itinerary including flights . Looks amazing!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

Anyone rough idea what budget for the above itinerary including flights . Looks amazing!

Thanks

no not worked that out yet,,

as i am going solo - for now anyway, and as a solo female traveler - it will be a bit more expensive than average - but i gotta do it i have a bug..

Advertisement