Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you currently studying while working?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a degree and have been working in various digital and project management(ish) roles for the last 5 years. I feel like I should start a evening/online college course to top up on my info and get another cert for my CV. I'm pretty on top of things and read up on SEO, graphic design, social media marketing and ecommerce.

I didn't do a masters straight after my degree like most did because1) I couldn't afford it,2) had enough of college, 3)thought it was kinda pointless without work experience..

So do you think its only worth going back to do a Masters of some sort? As an employer would you care about an additional cert vs experience, if I already have a degree. Only thing I have zero experience in is coding (I can do a very very very small bit in email marketing). But I can't really see where this will benefit me. I don't particularly want to be transition into programming.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 !Jules!

Hey,

I was kind of in the same boat as you and decided last year to just do a master and get the official qualification. At the end of the day a master is something that you have on your CV for ever and especially in combination with your current experience it is very good to show of in a job interview (and salary negotiating factor). Apart from that you can still learn new stuff in the class, you will get a different perspective on things, especially if you are used to working in a particular industry. You will work on many different cases and as far as I know most of the master courses work with industry clients and "real-life" consultancy projects as well. If you are considering different courses, I have shared a course comparison overview on my blog, feel free to use it. (To find the blog just google: the aspiring digital marketer).
    It does not only have the master courses but also shorter courses, but the top five in the list are all masters in Dublin (DCU, DIT, UCD, DBS and DMI).

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Cheers for the reply! The reply slipped under the radar for me. Going to check out your blog now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GBrownie

Certification just only to standardise your ability but experience makes you perfect in your occupation. So if it is difficult to manage the time between both works and learn then it is my suggestion never compromise with your job. You can learn a lot residing job. It is a good option to learn online I think that is not more difficult to learn with work. Everything is available online don't focus on the degree or certification just learn from and take help from the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

I personally do not place much value on certificates. Experience over anything. But as the world is, you need to fit in, in other to make it.
    So try as much as possible to get a masters. Am sure you will find a programm that will fit your schedule and style.

Advertisement