Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB socket has fallen inside an external hard-drive, where is best to get fixed?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

One of my older externals recently stopped working when its USB socket fell inside it. Its well outside warranty so I tried opening it myself and it wasnt happening. These things are practically Fort Knox!

What I want to do is bring it into someone, preferably in Dublin city, centre and get them to open it and while Im there we can maybe transfer all of its contents onto my new external.

Where could I get such a thing done at a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Webby5 wrote: »
    One of my older externals recently stopped working when its USB socket fell inside it. Its well outside warranty so I tried opening it myself and it wasnt happening. These things are practically Fort Knox!

What I want to do is bring it into someone, preferably in Dublin city, centre and get them to open it and while Im there we can maybe transfer all of its contents onto my new external.

Where could I get such a thing done at a reasonable price?

Did you look online while you were trying to open it or just have a quick go with a screw driver? usually once you know the 'knack' to getting it open it should be easy enough. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

May not be as simple as that its probably come off the motherboard. id recommend going to a computer repair shop. there are many around the city i only know places on the south suburbs so not a huge amount of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I would try the Chinese computer repair shop on Capel street, they don't turn their noses up at small jobs and AFAIK are fairly good value, that said they are sort of unreliable about times though but if I was you what I would do is bring hard drive and your laptop in with them, ask them to open up the hard drive (its probably really simple to open might just be TORX heads), ask for the appropriate cables/temporary caddy and sit in the corner of the shop transferring the stuff. It might be a few minutes work for them and you sitting in the shop for an hour so offer them 20-30 quid and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

or the repair shop in temple bar.... www.lynch.ie

Advertisement