Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for aging woman for company and security

• 17-02-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I am looking for a suitable dog for an aging woman living on her own out the country

Dog needs to be good around kids
    Be able to bark at strangers
    Have a good temperament
    No terriers please

What breed of a dog do you suggest that might be suitable?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

A cocker spaniel might work well. Our one ticks all the boxes from your list. These days you might even pick one up in a rescue.
    Hope it works out. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A Rescue might be the ideal place to find the right dog. An older dog won't take as much work as a puppy and with a rescue dog they should be able to tell you whether the dog would be suitable for her and around kids. When buying a dog you just take your chances really on what their temperment will be like and you also have all the training to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I would be inclined to say greyhound/lurcher/sighthounds in general. But you have to be aware if there are any small animals or cats, and of course the garden needs to be securely enclosed.

They are some of the sweetest dogs I have ever met, so many people seem to think they need a heap of exercise but they really don't. They are happiest if they have somewhere warm to curl up. They are also incredibly affectionate dogs. One of the security guys where I work has a couple of them and his are quite vocal if there are any intruders or if they see anything out of place, but aside from that they are generally quiet dogs in the home.

Generally being good around kids/barking at strangers/temperament all depends on the dog itself, it's more personality/experience based. But to be honest I don't think I have ever met a bad sighthound when it comes to friendliness and I work with dogs on a regular basis. Most of the sighthounds I know go out of their way to be next to a human and be petted. They are such a gentle breed.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I would say a Springer spaniel, but not a young dog. Fiercely loyal, happy and great house dog, well, mine is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Try the shelters, particularly older dogs tend to be more laid back and not require too much exercise which might suit an older person better, for example <snip> looks like a friendly old girl.

Mod note: please make any recommendations of individual rescues, or dogs within yhose rescues, by PM.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    I would be inclined to say greyhound/lurcher/sighthounds in general. But you have to be aware if there are any small animals or cats, and of course the garden needs to be securely enclosed

My only issue there would be security. Simply because a certain Irish Demographic target these dogs to steal for racing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

madmaggie wrote: »
    I would say a Springer spaniel, but not a young dog. Fiercely loyal, happy and great house dog, well, mine is. :D

+1 for an adult springer, and there's so many of them in rescues at the moment.

My youngest dog is a collieXSpringer, she is so protective and loyal and just wants to be with the family. She is a fantastic watch dog both inside and outside the house, shes scared of the cats but nobodies perfect :D

I'd also recommend a Labrador over three years old, my 85 year old neighbor adopted a six year old labrador four years ago and he is always by her side. He is a great watch dog even now in his old age. I had a Lab myself who sadly passed away at just 6 years old and he was fantastic with kids and let the cats sleep on his back but he would always let us know if strangers were around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Jack Russell.

My elderly parents have kept a Jack Russell bitch. She's a great guard dog, a lovely companion and she's great with visitors such as the grandchildren.

The only downside is that she sheds her coat a lot so there is some maintenance work with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

With the list of stipulations that you've posted you really would be better off focussing on the dog itself rather than any particular breed.

With this in mind a reputable rescue should be able to help you out and by reputable I mean that they assess the dogs, have them in foster homes before homing, neuter, vaccinate and microchip. Also they should carry out a homecheck before homing and then also provide back-up in case any help is needed by the adopter or should the dog ever need to be returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Like Toulouse says above an assessed dog would suit best. I don't imagine a Labrador or Springer or similar high energy dog is going to suit an elderly lady especially if she was any way frail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toulouse wrote: »
    With the list of stipulations that you've posted you really would be better off focussing on the dog itself rather than any particular breed.

With this in mind a reputable rescue should be able to help you out and by reputable I mean that they assess the dogs, have them in foster homes before homing, neuter, vaccinate and microchip. Also they should carry out a homecheck before homing and then also provide back-up in case any help is needed by the adopter or should the dog ever need to be returned.

I'd agree with most of this, except for this bit. Most rescues would love foster homes for their animals but the reality is that fosterers are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd agree with most of this, except for this bit. Most rescues would love foster homes for their animals but the reality is that fosterers are few and far between.

Yes, I understand that. But seeing as the OP has so many specific requirements then I really would advise them to go with a foster based rescue so that the dog has been assessed in a home environment with kids and strangers.

Better they are very picky about the rescue they choose to deal with than take a poor dog from kennels or the pound and have to return him/her. Also taking a dog from a foster home frees up that home to take another dog.

Knine wrote: »
    Like Toulouse says above an assessed dog would suit best. I don't imagine a Labrador or Springer or similar high energy dog is going to suit an elderly lady especially if she was any way frail.

Hence the reason adult Labs and springers three years and upwards were suggested, not puppies. I agree with the assessed part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We had a cocker spaniel ,very good guard dog,safe with kids and very loyal...a neighbour has a springer and is also very loud when a stranger is around but a big softy at the back of it ,but not many people will venture into there yard if he is out loose.
    Would also agree that it will have to be a few years old,a high Energy spaniel pup would not be ideal,plenty of springers about that are bought for hunting but end up no good with the gun and are often given away ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

SingItOut wrote: »
    Hence the reason adult Labs and springers three years and upwards were suggested, not puppies. I agree with the assessed part.

3 year old Labs & Springers are in their prime. I am a gundog person & no way would I suggest one for an elderly lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

As a person who works for a rescue, I would recommend that you phone your nearest rescue/shelter and explain to them what the situation is with your elderly neighbour. They may have some dogs in their shelter already, that would be suitable. If not they will take your info, and hopefully get back to you when a dog comes in that meets the criteria.

Its in the dogs best interests for a shelter to home a dog that will suit your neighbour. I know that in our shelter there have been/are several dogs that were older, and would suit those criteria perfectly. They are out there, in shelters, looking for someone like your neighbour to love them and give them a good home. Most dogs will repay their owners by barking when someone comes to the house. Take your time, bring your neighbour to look at some dogs, remember they will be bouncy and excited when a visitor comes to the shelter, but the staff there can tell you what the dogs personality/temperement is.

GREAT idea for your neighbour to have the company of a dog by the way :)

Knine wrote: »
    3 year old Labs & Springers are in their prime. I am a gundog person & no way would I suggest one for an elderly lady.

Having owned both and knowing people who have both I'd disagree as they all matured by this age, but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SingItOut wrote: »
    Having owned both and knowing people who have both I'd disagree as they all matured by this age, but each to their own.

I'd agree too but Lucy has been chilled out from day one so imo it depends on the individual dog too.. She's a year and half now and would sleep most of the day with Bailey (5 and a half) and they couldn't care less if they have a walk or not as long as they're fed :pac: Now I'm sure if the were fed a crappy food they'd be bouncing off the walls so their diet plays a big part in it too.

Advertisement