Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver or Toronto for summer?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I know that Vancouver and Toronto are very different cities, but I am just looking for other peoples opinions. I am a 20 year old student who is travelling to Canada for the summer, and don't know where to go. Which city offers the best experience in the summer? Need to be thinking about jobs and accommodation too. Basically we like to drink loads, and relax outside in our spare time (typical Irish), so any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love Vancouver. We live in Seattle so we go up there quite a lot. Its a great city.

Never been to Toronto though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dano1044 wrote: »
    I know that Vancouver and Toronto are very different cities, but I am just looking for other peoples opinions. I am a 20 year old student who is travelling to Canada for the summer, and don't know where to go. Which city offers the best experience in the summer? Need to be thinking about jobs and accommodation too. Basically we like to drink loads, and relax outside in our spare time (typical Irish), so any advice?

Maybe Vancoucer? You could get up the hills and shake of the endless hangovers you're likely to be having!

I could just be getting old, but "basically we like to drink loads" isn't something to boast about! :D:eek:

Enjoy your summer, get f*cked up and get it all out of your system before you're old and sensible. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

Keep in mind that Vancouver is not renowned for its nightlife. Nightlife there is poor by Irish standards. If you are looking to party all the time Toronto may be a better bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I visited Toronto and lived in Vancouver. Vancouver wins hands down.

There are loads of beaches around Vancouver all easily accessible by bus.

The summer in Vancouver is incredible. I got savage weather there for last summer and the summer before and there was always street festivals and stuff on.

I never understood the "bad nightlife" it's meant to have, I always have a great laugh when I go out there and there's loads of places. I was in Toronto for Paddys day a few years ago and we barely got into a pub at 12.30am!!!

I'd pick Vancouver 10/10 times anyway

onworld wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Vancouver is not renowned for its nightlife. Nightlife there is poor by Irish standards.

Vancouver is as big as Dublin.

Can you explain what you mean?

I'm genuinely curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'm genuinely curious.

It used to be known as No Funcouver might have something to do with it. Its changed over the last ten years no doubt but it used to be awful for going out. Far prefer Seattle for nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'm genuinely curious.

I've had some good nights out in Vancouver but it's definitely no comparison to Dublin nightlife

huffingtonpost.com/mitch-moxley/welcome-to-vancouver-no-fun_b_1931606.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablosbadger

Summer work is easier to come by in Toronto (always see a lot of Irish working on Toronto island each year). Suggest you get here early though - alot of the college courses finish in May so quite a few of the jobs go by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭username2013

Depends what you are into/after.

Vancouver is a nice city but a bit boring. If you are into the outdoor life, hiking, running, swimming etc then it's the place for you. If you want to have a bit of fun and good nightlife then Toronto is the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dano1044

Thanks for all the replies! Both places sound amazing for different reasons. Toronto seems to have the upper hand due to jobs & the nightlife. If only it had the scenery & mountains Vancouver has :( Such a tough decision!

• Advertisement

onworld wrote: »
    I've had some good nights out in Vancouver but it's definitely no comparison to Dublin nightlife

huffingtonpost.com/mitch-moxley/welcome-to-vancouver-no-fun_b_1931606.html

Fascinating. That really is.

We visit from Seattle a fair amount but honestly I;d never really gone there for a night out.

But I agree with a lot of the comments in that article. It can be a generally Dull place.

Intersting about the public transport because Its a nightmare to get into by car. I dont know of any other major city with no freeway or motorway into the city centre, but in Vancouver you're dumped into city streets about five miles out and it can take forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Anyone I know who has gone to both much prefer Vancouver. I went Vancouver and loved it. No problem getting jobs either.

Advertisement