Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic CAT.. cat7 that is

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Any point in putting in a good high quality cable? Will I get the use from it?

Looking around and doesn't seem to be many matching items like wallplates / keystones or connectors that have the "Cat7" rating. Is this because this would be considered enterprise quality cable?

Plan: to have a central server servicing 3 tvs and a laptop / tablet with video streams, mostly 1080i/p all wired but the tablet of course.

Some of the streams are quite large so I wanted to put a nice heavy cable in (order 50m of cat7) and feed to a few wall plates. With the rest make up the cabling (which also will do for the switch/router/PC/Voip Phone/CCTV etc etc...

I have about 4 devices that have GB Ethernet ports (possibly will be more in the future)

Am I crazy in putting this high spec of cable in? Thinking on doing it once and then its done. Cable is rated at 1000mhz, would I have any reason not to put it in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd put the cable in, I just wouldn't bother with the wall plates.

The cable will last years, then if you need to scale to 10gig or 100gig change the wall plates and connectors when they don't cost a fortune.

Although those speeds are a fair bit off to the average consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I'd put the cable in, I just wouldn't bother with the wall plates.

Although those speeds are a fair bit off to the average consumer.

So just stick with something like cat 6/5e wall plates?

I know I dont have anything near those speeds but I like the idea of having the cable there that can... its not that expensive nowadays anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes. Its at least 5 years before 10gig starts becoming remotely reasonable. Maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cat6 is enough for now, you can go 6A but it's a good bit more expensive per box. Cat7 did not catch on. We only installed it once and that was 10 years ago for a special client. We stopped installing 5E 5 years ago. If you plan on 4k video streaming with no compression than 6A would be serious consideration.

Cat8 will be the next standard to go to.

Advertisement