Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Charging - the white flag of decent battery life ?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Is wireless charging just an admission of defeat by the phone suppliers and the rechargeable battery manufacturers ?
    There really is no big deal about plugging in a tiny charging plug. Except how often you have to do it. Every few days is fine. Every couple of weeks would be great. Thats what we really wanted.
    So is wireless charging just an attempt to put a positive spin on a failure - wireless charging an attempt to disguise from you how often you really have to charge your phone, i.e. how bad the battery technology in it really is.
    And disappointingly, since they are going on this road, it suggests there is no significant battery step improvement on the horizon at all.
    Just my few mW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

I agree with the disappointment that batteries don't last longer, but I'm a complete convert to how handy wireless charging can be. No fumbling around in the dark for cables to plug it in, or grabbing the phone in the morning to turn off alarm while half asleep and being frustrated with the cable hanging out of it. Yeah I know these sound like really silly minor things, but I certainly prefer wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

At the moment, we're limited to 'power mats' but the industry has already demonstrated wireless charging at a distance. This is a major step forward. Imaging having your devices charging wireless in your pocket/bag etc. by just being near or in a room fitted with a wireless charging device?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wireless charging is an admission that micro usb connectors are too fragile. Four good phones in our house with broken micro usb connectors that would otherwise be working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....how bad the battery technology in it really is......

The solution is to use less power.

Get a modern smart phone and turn off all the power sucking features, and it lasts for a long time. You're basically carrying around a mini TV and computer, Music, Radio Camera. and a massive battery. So things like eInk and new CPU's that use less and less power are being developed all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Never had a broken micro USB in our house (or work place).

Wireless charging is just another advance in technology - there's no conspiracy theory here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Wireless charging is an admission that micro usb connectors are too fragile. Four good phones in our house with broken micro usb connectors that would otherwise be working

lightning connectors are even worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Never had a broken micro USB in our house (or work place).....

Same here. Though I heard specific models had a lot of issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Speaking of wireless charging, I'm looking forward to this new Ikea furniture this year which will apparently integrate the function. (LINK)
    ap_resize.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F03%2Fnexus2cee_ikea-wireless-charging-6-728x488.jpg&w=728
    http://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger/public/field/image/2015/03/ikea-qi-charging-furniture-06.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It's a step in the right direction, and I am glad ikea has decided to support it. What would be great to see would be public transport intergrating this concept. I'm sure this is a while away yet, but one can hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I just don't understand why they sacrifice battery life for thinness of the phones. As long as the phone isn't a totally thick brick, I honestly think the majority of people would prefer being able to go without charging for a few days

• Advertisement
Advertisement