Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic card upgrade

Options
  • 18-02-2015 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking for a bit of a steer on a graphics card.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 as my media pc / gaming machine.

It's mainly for streaming but I do play some steam games on it too (Fallout, Bioshock and similar).

Anyway, I had a Radeon 6450 lying around and I stuck that in thinking it'd be an upgrade on the on-board intel graphics. It was actually worse, which was a surprise. I'm toying with a cheap upgrade but it's a long time since I started looking at GPU's. Is there anything in the sub $100 category that would actually be an upgrade? My only prerequisite is that it has to be low profile.

I had a look on ebay (i'm ok with used) but then got a bit confused at the options available.

Oh I'm in the US too, so shipping charges aren't a worry.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 6450 is a HTPC card really, can play some games at low settings but as you've discovered, not an improvement on modern integrated graphics.

The GTX750 is 100 euro and is one of the best value cards to ever hit the market - can play most new games at 1080p reasonably well. There are low profile versions available.

There are cheaper cards but none of them come close in terms of performance per euro. The GT740 is the next card down and it's about 60% of the power for 85% of the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Much appreciated, at least now I have a starting point.

Advertisement