Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to box hedging

• 18-02-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Some advice please.

I have a straight area about 30 metres long which would suit a short box hedge. I am thinking of the type of look that borders beds or areas where the hedge is trimmed to a height of approx a foot and may be roughly the same depth.

The thing is, while I want something that shape and size, I'm not a particular fan of box. I think it's rare to see one which looks well. They tend to be sparse towards the bottom and can look "scraggy".

So, alternatives please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Some advice please.

I have a straight area about 30 metres long which would suit a short box hedge. I am thinking of the type of look that borders beds or areas where the hedge is trimmed to a height of approx a foot and may be roughly the same depth.

The thing is, while I want something that shape and size, I'm not a particular fan of box. I think it's rare to see one which looks well. They tend to be sparse towards the bottom and can look "scraggy".

So, alternatives please?

I would have to disagree with your opinion of Box, yes often what one sees are plants which have been neglected, poorly maintained or planted in unsuitable conditions. A well maintained Box hedging is a wonderful plant feature, and many fine examples can be seen and the plant's popularity is widespread. Box is a garden lover's plant, and with it's crisply defined edge and dark glossy foliage is simply stunning. What we are more likely to see, are scraggy orange brown remnants, proof of poor care.

An easier alternative ( but IMO not as impressive) is the taxus (yew) but 12" would probably too low for the plant's longterm welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I would have to disagree with your opinion of Box, yes often what one sees are plants which have been neglected, poorly maintained or planted in unsuitable conditions. A well maintained Box hedging is a wonderful plant feature, and many fine examples can be seen and the plant's popularity is widespread. Box is a garden lover's plant, and with it's crisply defined edge and dark glossy foliage is simply stunning. What we are more likely to see, are scraggy orange brown remnants, proof of poor care.

An easier alternative ( but IMO not as impressive) is the taxus (yew) but 12" would probably too low for the plant's longterm welfare.

Agree completely that it looks wonderful when in good condition. I suppose I'm lacking confidence in my own ability to keep it well. NUI Galway has some newish ones (one 4 years old, one 2 years old) which still look terrible and they're maintained by one of Galway's longest established landscaping companies. I suppose I'm thinking that if they can't get them to look well what hope have I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Agree completely that it looks wonderful when in good condition. I suppose I'm lacking confidence in my own ability to keep it well. NUI Galway has some newish ones (one 4 years old, one 2 years old) which still look terrible and they're maintained by one of Galway's longest established landscaping companies. I suppose I'm thinking that if they can't get them to look well what hope have I?

Well for starters, it is a relatively straightforward plant to look at after. Thrives in free draining soils, that said it is a thirsty and hungry plant and hates exposed sites. It is grown successfully everywhere even harsher conditions than Ireland eg mainland Europe.

Orange brown appearances are clear indicators of poor/inadequate plant welfare. Next time you see that local company on campus why not ask them why the plants look poorly? I would be very interested to know their response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder how much sales of box (more so in the UK) would be hit by monty don's hedging having been hit by box blight and him referring back to the issue several times last year on gardener's world.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FarmersSon

Ilex crenata ( Japenese Holly). Very similar to box & clips very well. A few varieties available with various colours of foliage.

Also, Myrtus communis (common Myrtle) clips very well and creates a tight low hedge. Again different varieties with various foliage colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And what about dear old Lonicera Nitida?

http://www.treeandshrub.co.nz/shop/image/cache/lonicera_nitida_large%5B1%5D-400x400.jpg

There are reasons why it is so popular in the suburbs: and it's practically impossible to kill.

Advertisement