Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Fans Stop A Black Man Boarding A Train In Paris (Read Mod Note in OP)

• 18-02-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭

Shocking!

http://news.sky.com/story/1429488/chelsea-fans-stop-black-man-boarding-train

Mod Note: Just a quick note...

Obviously what happened warrants a discussion, and said discussion will involve talking about subsets of fans and the disappointing elements involved.

At the same time, I think we should be avoiding painting ALL fans of a club with the same brush. Comments like "All Chelsea fans are X" are not constructive and in fact could incite problems as innocent fans seek to defend themselves and the majority who are hurt by the actions of the minority.

So if you want to discuss it, please avoid launching wild attacks on the entirety of a fanbase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

"Hurr durr, we are racist, hurr durr"

*And Drogba has done it. Chelsea have secured their first Champions League*

*Slow, awkward claps*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They must have been gutted when Drogba scored winning penalty in Munich.

Every fan base has a element, but some clubs have more then others. Few too many one could say. Proof is in the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Terrible scenes, hopefully the face justice.

Good result dragged through the gutter by the act of a few idiots.

I've said this in the Chelsea thread but I suppose it belongs here too,

I hope all Chelsea fans who travel in Europe now mind their business and not act up as this will paint a target on their backs over this, the innocent among them could be targeted by away supporters and foreign police over the act of those invovled in Paris.

Last thing you want to hear about is innocent people getting caught up in trouble over what a handful of clowns done to that guy in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This has nothing to do with Chelsea. It should be reported as 'English Football fans...' It's not fair to the club. I don't support them btw.

Footage like this is hardly surprising when you've parties like UKIP legitimising casual racism and whipping racial tension up and down the country.

Be interesting to see if Chelsea are punished as it didn't happen in the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why did he pick that carriage to get on. Probably 10-15 more to pick but he keeps trying to get on the one full of football supporters. People usually go out of their way to avoid these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why did he pick that carriage to get on. Probably 10-15 more to pick but he keeps trying to get on the one full of football supporters. People usually go out of their way to avoid these people.
    Are you actually serious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

They must have been gutted when Drogba scored winning penalty in Munich.

Every fan base has a element, but some clubs have more then others. Few too many one could say. Proof is in the history.
    Slightly harsh Kew, understand where your coming from but tbh 99% of Chelsea fans are very decent people ..

Last night was despicable, it's embarrassing for Chelsea, the rest of us in the Premier League and the UK. I wouldn't mind UEFA and the PL making an example of Chelsea here but I do feel sorry for the normal Chelsea fans who are being painted with the one brush across Europe and the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He shouldn't have to.
    I'll admit it's what I would have done after being pushed off once, but that shouldn't be what's expected of any person.

CSF wrote: »
    Are you actually serious

Dont start that ****e. I'm not blaming the bloke. Just found it odd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Scumbags be scumbags. Nothing to do with the club.

Dont start that ****e. I'm not blaming the bloke. Just found it odd.
    Its such an irrelevance that it doesn't bear mentioning. I'm sure each other carriage was full of football supporters and some people are made more nervous by large groups of football fans than others.

Hardly worthy of discussion when theres a much bigger issue at play.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Exactly, could just have easily been any other football club.
    Football support brings out a nasty side in a minority of fans that ends up being attributed to all fans of said club unfortunately.
    And then you get comments like "typical {club} fans" which is just stupid and doesn't help the issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

But it is to do with the club.. They were in Paris for that game, they were Chelsea fans/supporters who knows maybe season ticket holders.

It has everything to do with Chelsea FC.

I wouldn't say nothing. They are obviously Chelsea supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

This has nothing to do with Chelsea. It should be reported as 'English Football fans...' It's not fair to the club. I don't support them btw.

Footage like this is hardly surprising when you've parties like UKIP legitimising casual racism and whipping racial tension up and down the country.

Of course it has! It's their travelling fans and now it's a matter for the French police I read. They may be contacting Chelsea directly about this incident.

Ah yes cos nothing like this happened before UKip :rolleyes: Chelsea FC supporter base has a long history with regard to racists and white nationalists. The "Headhunters" being the most notorious of them probably.

No its not the clubs fault but yes the club will be fined cos that's the way UEFA think.

irishfeen wrote: »
    But it is to do with the club.. They were in Paris for that game, they were Chelsea fans/supporters who knows maybe season ticket holders.

It has everything to do with Chelsea FC.
    Inclined to agree with this. People are more than willing to associate the good things fans do with the club, but if its a bad thing, nope, not the club.

• Advertisement

Ah yes cos nothing like this happened before UKip :rolleyes: Chelsea FC supporter base has a long history with regard to racists. The "Headhunters" being the most notorious of them probably.

No its not the clubs fault but yes the club will be fined cos that's the way UEFA think.
    UEFA have already said they're taking no action.

They are the worst football fans in the world!

UEFA have already said they're taking no action.

Really? Oh, interesting. Presumably they will leave it up to the club to ban them and the Met to nick them. Will they be handed over to the French rozzers I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

They should have video footage of them, send their images to football clubs around Europe and make sure they never set foot in a football ground again.

To try and comprehend this idiocy makes my head hurt.

Really? Oh, interesting. Presumably they will leave it up to the club to ban them and the Met to nick them. Will they be handed over to the French rozzers I wonder.
    That is the correct action IMO. Anyone identified should be banned by the club and dealt with as appropriate by the police.

The only difficulty with any sort of police investigation would be that it would be very easy for them to claim they were pushing him off because the train was too full and they feared their safety. IMO they could only really prosecute for the singing, which is shocking. Chelsea on the other hand, probably don't require such conclusive evidence to ban someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Feel sorry for the person who received this racist treatment, along with the decent Chelsea fans who would never do such a thing.

The people responsible need to be dealt with.

That is the correct action IMO. Anyone identified should be banned by the club and dealt with as appropriate by the police.

The only difficulty with any sort of police investigation would be that it would be very easy for them to claim they were pushing him off because the train was too full and they feared their safety. IMO they could only really prosecute for the singing, which is shocking. Chelsea on the other hand, probably don't require such conclusive evidence to ban someone.

The words or the unsteady pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This has nothing to do with Chelsea. It should be reported as 'English Football fans...'

Eh? Why stop at English? If it has nothing to do with Chelsea, then what has it got to do with England?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

They are the worst football fans in the world!

It's a controversial view but the club certainly has a significant unsavoury element

I remember them being, by far the worst club for booing a minute's silence for the Hillsborough victims a few years back and it wasn't just a few nutjobs screaming out.

I'm sure even their own fans here wouldn't deny there is a strong pro UKIP feeling among their fanbase and that is basically anti-foreigner, anti-Irish, anti-immigrant right-wing rule brittania (the club, for example, has strong ties with Rangers FC who adopt similar views)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Exactly, could just have easily been any other football club.
    Football support brings out a nasty side in a minority of fans that ends up being attributed to all fans of said club unfortunately.
    And then you get comments like "typical {club} fans" which is just stupid and doesn't help the issue at all.

But it wasn't any football club, how can you prove that any other set of supporters would act the same?

I could suggest that these morons were taking their lead from Arrigo Sacchi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ban them from every stadium

Take away their passports for 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

KingdomYid wrote: »
    But it wasn't any football club, how can you prove that any other set of supporters would act the same?

You are niave if you think is exclusive to Chelsea. I was at Arsenal Chelsea a few years ago and sickened by the bile directed at Astley Cole. Remember Spurs' fans treatment of Walcott a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'm sorry if this offends the genuine Chelsea fans on here, and it goes without saying that it's not a mark of you or your club, but there is a special type of scum attached to Chelsea, through no fault of the club of course. Yes, all fans have a minority of idiots, but Chelsea's minority seems to be a bigger, louder, nastier minority than most.

Racist chanting is something I have never heard from any traveling English club, except for one.

efb wrote: »
    You are niave if you think is exclusive to Chelsea. I was at Arsenal Chelsea a few years ago and sickened by the bile directed at Astley Cole. Remember Spurs' fans treatment of Walcott a few years ago?

Remind me of any racist behaviour directed towards Walcott?

I have been to more games than I can count and I have heard plenty of vile stuff, but this is different IMO.

• Advertisement

Remind me of any racist behaviour directed towards Walcott?

Abusive behaviour- throwing coins at him - or are you saying that's OK? And why can you use a banned term in your username?

Abusive behaviour- throwing coins at him - or are you saying that's OK? And why can you use a banned term in your username?

What banned term? I have never been told it is banned. Anyway am not getting dragged into a tit for tat with you. Will say no more.

What banned term? I have never been told it is banned. Anyway am not getting dragged into a tit for tat with you. Will say no more.

Yid- this is a banned term in the soccer forum - I assume you read the charter

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/17/david-cameron-yid-really-is-race-hate-word

Yid- this is a banned term in the soccer forum - I assume you read the charter

Dear God, move on.

Dear God, move on.

From what?

• Advertisement

That wasn't racism that was a stupid rivalry between 2 poor london teams.

This incident was Chelsea fans, to say that no other set of supporters would/could act the same is naive.
    This isn't the first time we've seen football hooligans in action, and it hasn't always been Chelsea fans at the centre of it.

That wasn't racism that was a stupid rivalry between 2 poor london teams.

I never said it was racism - just highlighting scummy behaviors from "fans" of all clubs

From what?

from a username.

from a username.

Just don't get the double standard

Anyway all clubs have moronic fans

Anyway all clubs have moronic fans

Irrelevant post.
    Not all clubs have racist facist fans

Irrelevant post.

Well on probability, the chances are high that every club has at least 1 racist fan somewhere, so youre wrong on that assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Irrelevant post.

I would say every single club in the Premiership has at least some racist, fascist fans. Thing is, Chelsea has so much more than other clubs. Their anti-Irish bigotry is also notable. Worst fans in the Premiership imo. Second only to Rangers in the UK.

Let's not fool ourselves though, there are dcikheads at every club.

Irrelevant post.

Its not- racist / homophobic/ Abusive fans are all vile scum

• Advertisement
Advertisement