Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Fans Stop A Black Man Boarding A Train In Paris (Read Mod Note in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

niallo27 wrote: »
    We do love to jump on a bandwagon here in fairness. Are people really outraged about what a group of a few idiots did that has nothing to do with you. There are a lot worse things going on in the world.
    Ok. Weird that you're posting in the thread about it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Ok. Weird that you're posting in the thread about it then.

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We do love to jump on a bandwagon here in fairness. Are people really outraged about what a group of a few idiots did that has nothing to do with you. There are a lot worse things going on in the world.

Do we pick the worst thing that has happened in the world only to comment on, or the worst thing in the world that has happened in football?

Bizarre logic.

Ok.
    Weird that your 2 contributions to the thread have been criticising the guy for getting on the carriage and saying that its not a big deal.

adox wrote: »
    Do we pick the worst thing that has happened in the world only to comment on, or the worst thing in the world that has happened in football?

Bizarre logic.

True I suppose. I was just wondering are people genuinely outraged by what happened.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    My dad lived in London for 15 years and he said its a constant head scratcher that any Irish person supports Chelsea Football Club. A club known for it's anti-irish and racist fan base.

People in Ireland starting supporting them as kids presumably and knew no better. Also, many are probably oblivious to that when they are living in a different country!

Most won't probably ever attend a match too so that must be factored in too

Weird that your 2 contributions to the thread have been criticising the guy for getting on the carriage and saying that its not a big deal.

Did I piss you off before or something.

Did I piss you off before or something.
    No I take every post on its own merits (or lack of).

No I take every post on its own merits (or lack of).

You just seem very angry lately trying to twist my posts. I just wanted to know are people genuinely outraged by what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You just seem very angry lately trying to twist my posts. I just wanted to know are people genuinely outraged by what happened.

You seem to be missing the point,a crowd of racist clowns proporting to be fans stop a guy from getting on a train because of the colour of his skin,can you not see how wrong this is?

Would you not be pissed off if it was you they stopped because you are Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes, people are genuinely outraged by the fact that people can go abroad and then shout out that they are racists and prevent other people going about their normal and legitimate business.
    Some people then get upset when they see what appear to be slightly idiotic posts on the topic.
    FYI - I am in both of those parts of the Venn diagram.

zerks wrote: »
    You seem to be missing the point,a crowd of racist clowns proporting to be fans stop a guy from getting on a train because of the colour of his skin,can you not see how wrong this is?

jacool wrote: »
    Yes, people are genuinely outraged by the fact that people can go abroad and then shout out that they are racists and prevent other people going about their normal and legitimate business.
    Some people then get upset when they see what appear to be slightly idiotic posts on the topic.
    FYI - I am in both of those parts of the Venn diagram.
    Yeah.

And I don't think theres been a lately niallo27, literally just in relation to your posts in this thread I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy I mentioned earlier is trying to justify himself: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11420015/Chelsea-fan-in-Paris-claims-black-passenger-was-pushed-off-train-for-being-a-PSG-fan.html

And then get's hung out to dry as the article publishes one of his other tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    People in Ireland starting supporting them as kids presumably and knew no better. Also, many are probably oblivious to that when they are living in a different country!

Most won't probably ever attend a match too so that must be factored in too

You could say that about any team though.

I wouldn't say it's the case for Chelsea fans on boards.

Personally. I was born in London to Irish parents who had lived there for over 8 years. Moved back to Ireland shortly after. Was a Chelsea fan because my Dad was. In the years my father lived there the only anti Irish sentiment he'd ever seen was at a Celtic friendly. Most of the rhetoric was aimed at the IRA as the Celtic fans were generally chanting pro IRA songs. It was a different time though, London had been bombed a few times in a relatively short period of time and you didn't have to look too far to find that kind of talk.

I chose to continue supporting them anyways, because in 35 years my dad myself have gone to games I've personally never witnessed it and my dad has on only one occasion, during the troubles.

zerks wrote: »

I'm not defending it. It's a disgrace the way they acted. I'm not dismissing what happened but some of the comments on social media are unbelievable. Chants about players families dieing or dead fans or making fun of a players handicapped son are just as bad as racist chants but are often dismissed as nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Are you saying that this treatment is somehow not outrageous?

gosplan wrote: »
    Are you saying that treatment is somehow not outrageous?

I didn't say it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

rob316 wrote: »
    My dad lived in London for 15 years and he said its a constant head scratcher that any Irish person supports Chelsea Football Club. A club known for it's anti-irish and racist fan base.

They support the teams, not the fans, what's so difficult about it?

I didn't say it wasn't.

Then why would you ask if people are outraged? I don't get your question.

Then why would you ask if people are outraged? I don't get your question?

There are outrageous things happening at every ground every single week. You can't get outraged by everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why did he pick that carriage to get on. Probably 10-15 more to pick but he keeps trying to get on the one full of football supporters. People usually go out of their way to avoid these people.

Post No. 9, good satirical post!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There are outrageous things happening at every ground every single week. You can't get outraged by everything.

But you can condemn it.

efb wrote: »
    They support the teams, not the fans, what's so difficult about it?
    The team is usually completely changed within 5 years. Its the club you support. The club encompasses everything, from the players, to the manager, to the fans, to the board and the officials.

But you can condemn it.

Yes of course you can. It's disgusting behaviour and I'm sure most of the fans on the train were embarrassed to be associated with them fans.

I was outraged when this guy beeped me this morning. I was letting a lady cross the road ad he beeps me to go.

This isn't necessarily a huge problem or anything particularly bad, but I came across it and it it a reaction from me.

Similarly, I watched that video as did others and felt anger.

It's kind of irrelevant what else is going on tbh. We respond to an incident at the time. It's not like later I'll sit down and draw up a ranked list of the things worth being angry about.

The team is usually completely changed within 5 years. Its the club you support. The club encompasses everything, from the players, to the manager, to the fans, to the board and the officials.

I don't support a clubs fanbase, I won't let bigoted opinions stop me from supporting my club. I'll challenge the club to disown the behavior, but it does not represent the club.

Again as I said earlier it's like the Met's dangerous group think assuming all young black man are up to no good. Guilty by association isn't right or fair.

K-9 wrote: »
    Post No. 9, good satirical post!

It was just an observation. Did you not think it was odd.

Yes of course you can. It's disgusting behaviour and I'm sure most of the fans on the train were embarrassed to be associated with them fans.

And not victim blame

I was outraged when this guy beeped me this morning. I was letting a lady cross the road ad he beeps me to go.

This isn't necessarily a huge problem or anything particularly bad, but I came across it and it it a reaction from me.

Similarly, I watched that video as did others and felt anger.

It's kind of irrelevant what else is going on tbh. We respond to an incident at the time. It's not like later I'll sit down and draw up a ranked list of the things worth being angry about.

Yes fair point.

• Advertisement

And not victim blame

I don't get you.

I don't support a clubs fanbase, I won't let bigoted opinions stop me from supporting my club. I'll challenge the club to disown the behavior, but it does not represent the club.

Again as I said earlier it's like the Met's dangerous group think assuming all young black man are up to no good. Guilty by association isn't right or fair.

It's not the same at all. If all those young black men form a club, then the club as an entity is shaped by the actions of it's members. But those young black men have only in common the colour of their skin and their rough age, neither of which is a choice or a preference. Merely physical characteristics.

I don't get you.

Fans wouldn't attribute any part of the incident occurring on the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Sadly not even surprised, of course you cant paint every supporter with the same brush but Chelsea have a history, and are know for this ****e.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Headhunters

It's not the same at all. If all those young black men form a club, then the club as an entity is shaped by the actions of it's members. But those young black men have only in common the colour of their skin and their rough age, neither of which is a choice or a preference. Merely physical characteristics.

You can't define one set of characteristics from something completely unrelated to it

Rascists can be Chelsea fans

Not all Chelsea fans are racist

There is NO correlation and it shouldn't be implied by association - that's not fair

Neither a choice or preference. Are you saying they would choose not be black if they had a preference. Jaysus I'd rephrase your post if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sadly not even surprised, of course you cant paint every supporter with the same brush but Chelsea have a history, and are know for this ****e.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Headhunters
    For Jesus sake.

Neither a choice or preference. Are you saying they would choose not be black if they had a preference. Jaysus I'd rephrase your post if I was you.
    Yeah thats what I saying. Good man.

You can't define one set of characteristics from something completely unrelated to it

Rascists can be Chelsea fans

Not all Chelsea fans are racist

There is NO correlation and it shouldn't be implied by association - that's not fair
    There is not a correlation between ALL Chelsea fans and racism. Obviously not. There is however a larger correlation between Chelsea Football Club and racism, than there is with other Premiership football teams.

There is not a correlation between ALL Chelsea fans and racism. Obviously not. There is however a larger correlation between Chelsea Football Club and racism, than there is with other Premiership football teams.

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

rarnes1 wrote:
    Ask anyone that attended Chelsea v Celtic as an away fan a few years ago in a friendly at Stamford Bridge and they might tell you differently.

I attended it actually! And I was an Irish lad sitting among Chelsea fans and like always was treated no different to anyone else. I'be never experienced any anti-Irish vibe about Chelsea or Stamford Bridge in any of my trips over there.

Always been well welcomed by any fellow Chelsea fans I've encountered or interacted with.

People spouting this Chelsea being anti-Irish shít really don't know a thing about it IMO

• Advertisement

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

The rooster crows every morning, therefore the rooster causes the sun to come up.

cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    Had to google that. Doesn't apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Baldy Conscious what team do you support cause I'd like my kids to avoid supporting a club with fans devoid of basic reasoning and understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Didn't Mourinho ask Chelsea fans a few weeks ago not to be so disrespectful to Steven Gerrard.

Yet a chorus of Steven Gerrard Slip song was sang for most of the game.

I agree that every football club has it's rats but Chelsea seem to have more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

djPSB wrote: »

Top article from Boylesports, the bastions of journalism.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's all very fair and balanced. You can barely spot any agenda whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Didn't Mourinho ask Chelsea fans a few weeks ago not to be so disrespectful to Steven Gerrard.

I agree that every football club has it's rats but Chelsea seem to have more than most.

Firstly, that song is hilarious.

Secondly, that has nothing to do with racism.

This is just another pathetic side-swipe a Chelsea as a whole by a rival fan in the context of something far more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

If by singing that song you are branded as a rat, you may as well label most fans up and down England as such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement