Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Fans Stop A Black Man Boarding A Train In Paris (Read Mod Note in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Lads, its not hilarious. It was admittedly very funny at first. Humour has a lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

djPSB wrote: »
    Didn't Mourinho ask Chelsea fans a few weeks ago not to be so disrespectful to Steven Gerrard.

Yet a chorus of Steven Gerrard Slip song was sang for most of the game.

I agree that every football club has it's rats but Chelsea seem to have more than most.

Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didn't Mourinho ask Chelsea fans a few weeks ago not to be so disrespectful to Steven Gerrard.

I agree that every football club has it's rats but Chelsea seem to have more than most.
    Ha! You must be the only person who didn't know what Mourinho was at there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lads, its not hilarious. It was admittedly very funny at first. Humour has a lifespan.
    Well, admittedly it's a bit long in the tooth now but in the context of what happened and when, it's still quite funny. It may be obsolete now but still funny, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

A song about a footballer slipping is perfectly fine. As long as it's not racist sexist homophobic or Abusive in its lyrics

The eye sees what it wants to see
    https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/seeing-what-you-want-to-see/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    We do love to jump on a bandwagon here in fairness. Are people really outraged about what a group of a few idiots did that has nothing to do with you. There are a lot worse things going on in the world.

While I totally condone what happens. I do agree with you niallo here.

some people will join the bandwagon and go totally ott.

While I totally condone what happens. I do agree with you niallo here.

some people will join the bandwagon and go totally ott.

? Condone?

• Advertisement

You condone what happened? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

efb wrote: »

The reaction of fans. He condones the reactions even though he considers it OTT.

That's how I read it anyway.

what happened to the poor man was not right and the chelsea fans are idiots, but lets not make into a world War or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Love the way people can't get annoyed at anything without somebody bringing up 'bandwagoners'

It's an utter disgrace, and had my blood boiling. Some of my closets friends are black and I'd be livid if that happend to them.

It's a disgusting thing by scum and thugs.

I don't give a sh!t who the fans are, those 'men' are nothing but dirt.

what happened to the poor man was not right and the chelsea fans are idiots, but lets not make into a world War or something.

Can't facepalm myself hard enough for that post.

Niall has hit on a good point tbf.

People are outraged at this and rightly so.

You'll hear chants about mocking the dead regularly. Or calling a manager a paedophile.

Where does that fit on the outrage scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's Chelsea so it's not at all surprising.

Can't facepalm myself hard enough for that post.

So you think its up there with Holocaust do you?

well then facepalm a ****ing way

rarnes1 wrote: »

You'll hear chants about mocking the dead regularly. Or calling a manager a paedophile.

Different people get outraged at different things, is that not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

All ill say is chelsea and their fans are well suited

So you think its up there with Holocaust do you?

well then facepalm a ****ing way

Clearly f*cking not. But comparing them is pretty fcking stupid. Doesn't mean people can't be p!ssed off by what happend.

''OH MY GAWD, WORSE THINGS HAPPEN. MUST MEAN WE CAN'T GET ANNOYED AT SOMETHING BECAUSE SOMETHING WORSE HAPPEND ALL OUR OUTRAGE SHOULD FOCUS ON THAT''

• Advertisement

Different people get outraged at different things, is that not allowed?

Who said it wasn't allowed?

You just made that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

High

Clearly f*cking not. But comparing them is pretty fcking stupid. Doesn't mean people can't be p!ssed off by what happend.

''OH MY GAWD, WORSE THINGS HAPPEN. MUST MEAN WE CAN'T GET ANNOYED AT SOMETHING BECAUSE SOMETHING WORSE HAPPEND ALL OUR OUTRAGE SHOULD FOCUS ON THAT''

They're getting annoyed and angry which is fine.

its another thing to blow it out of all proportion.

Who said it wasn't allowed?

You just made that up

You're questioning that their is an 'outrageous scale' which is idiotic seeing as everybody will have different opinions on in.

Things don't go in order of ''Well this is worse, than that, then that that that and lastly we'll get outraged at that''

CSF wrote: »
    High

While we're at it.

Booing the Hillsborough minute silence was right up there for me tbh.I couldn't get my head around why they'd do that. It wasn't a small minority either :(

I was at Liverpool Utd game for the 25th anniversary and they were well behaved despite the obvious hatred between the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

It's Chelsea so it's not at all surprising.
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    All ill say is chelsea and their fans are well suited

Is this necessary? All clubs have scummy elements and perhaps Chelsea has a more known history but if you dig at every clubs past you will find such characters are scattered throughout. Last year PSG fans hurled objects at and abused Chelsea fans in a disabled area of their stadium, where was the uproar here? Some people are using this to suit their hateful narrative, it is unacceptable and despicable but try and be a bit objective in your views, lets just hope justice is served in this case.

You're questioning that their is an 'outrageous scale' which is idiotic seeing as everybody will have different opinions on in.

Things don't go in order of ''Well this is worse, than that, then that that that and lastly we'll get outraged at that''

That makes no sense whatsoever

While we're at it.

Booing the Hillsborough minute silence was right up there for me tbh.I couldn't get my head around why they'd do that. It wasn't a small minority either :(

I was at Liverpool Utd game for the 25th anniversary and they were well behaved despite the obvious hatred between the clubs.

Clubs don't "hate" each other - some moronic fans do

Clubs don't "hate" each other - some moronic fans do

That's obviously what I meant.

We are talking about fans in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

While we're at it.

Lets not pretend there isn't awful minorities at both clubs that don't hurtle Munich and Hillsborough chants at each other, no club is followed by saints and angels throughout, the "fans" on that train are racist morons first in my book.

• Advertisement

Lets not pretend there isn't awful minorities at both clubs that don't hurtle Munich and Hillsborough chants at each other, no club is followed by all saints and angels, the "fans" on that train are racist morons first in my book.

Agreed

While we're at it.

Really people need to learn how to behave with even the mildest bit of tact.

The race to the bottom continually reaches new lows.

But the day people don't get offended by these things, is the day they've become a societal norm which is even worse.

I would much prefer to run the risk of being considered 'overly PC' by being utterly horrified watching that video than to think its not that big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Singing about lampards mother being blue as well or about lee carsleys son are worse for me than racist chants but society tells us racist chants are 100 times worse.

Singing about lampards mother being blue as well or about lee carsleys son are worse for me than racist chants but society tells us racist chants are 100 times worse.

Who are these people that are not absolutely horrified by the idea of a crowd of people singing songs about someone's special needs son or dead mother?

Who are these people that are not absolutely horrified by the idea of a crowd of people singing songs about someone's special needs son or dead mother?

Why wasn't their videos on every newspapers website or all over Twitter.

Why wasn't their videos on every newspapers website or all over Twitter.

I have no idea. I think this one caught the public attention because it was a bit different to your normal yobbish behaviour. I've never seen anything like that before myself. It shocked me.

I have no idea. I think this one caught the public attention because it was a bit different to your normal yobbish behaviour. I've never seen anything like that before myself. It shocked me.

Fair point that. It not usually as blatant as what was seen last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just a quick note...

Obviously what happened warrants a discussion, and said discussion will involve talking about subsets of fans and the disappointing elements involved.

At the same time, I think we should be avoiding painting ALL fans of a club with the same brush. Comments like "All Chelsea fans are X" are not constructive and in fact could incite problems as innocent fans seek to defend themselves and the majority who are hurt by the actions of the minority.

So if you want to discuss it, please avoid launching wild attacks on the entirety of a fanbase.

• Advertisement

Fair point that. It not usually as blatant as what was seen last night.

And in addition, if I was black I think Id find last night's incident (and the Carsley and Lampard chants) , being treated like a 2nd class citizen, much more hurtful than a racist chant because really, being told you're black is nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.

But I don't subscribe to this race to the bottom, in which we classify the perpetrators of some of these acts as worse than others. They're all dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've said this in the Chelsea thread but I suppose it belongs here too,

I hope all Chelsea fans who travel in Europe now mind their business and not act up as this will paint a target on their backs over this, the innocent among them could be targeted by away supporters and foreign police over the act of those invovled in Paris.

Last thing you want to hear about is innocent people getting caught up in trouble over what a handful of clowns done to that guy in Paris.

Handful of clowns? Far too kind there. These scum are the lowest of the low. I wouldn't lose any sleep to hear they were all ushered into a container and thrown off the side of a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I think my disdain for Chelsea reached the tipping point when they didn't respect the Hillsborough minute of silence at a packed Wembley and it was no minority either :mad:

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya I think my disdain for Chelsea reached the tipping point when they didn't respect the Hillsborough minute of silence at a packed Wembley and it was no minority either :mad:

Tar them all with the one brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Officer999

Given the history of the Chelsea fan base, it absolutely beggars belief that they actually do have Irish fans, it's mind boggling in fact.

I'm not a Chelsea fan, but sorry this is ridiculous. The majority of Irish football fans support English clubs. So how is that not mind-boggling for you given the history of Ireland and England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i work with a chelsea fan from london, this kinda of stuff makes him laugh now because it goes on all the time just is mainly ignored,he had his son over for the bradford game in the cup and he said the fans were at it all game,there are a few thousand hardcore scumbags he says who ruin the clubs image ,but before the money they WERE the image of chelsea, and they dont like not being notorious anymore .

imagine the black chelsea players are disgusted

• Advertisement

Willian/Remy/Drogba/Ramires/Mikel

Would love for one of them to come out and say their opinion on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've been to Stamford Bridge as an away fan three times, been to Wembley for a cup final vs them, and seen them countless times at White Hart Lane.

On every occasion I've witnessed anti-Semitic chanting and hissing noises from large numbers of Chelsea fans. Perhaps not thousands, but certainly in the low hundreds.

David Baddiel would have you believe that if Spurs fans would just stop using the Y word then that would be the end of it. Perhaps if black people stopped using the N word so liberally then that chap would have been free to get on the train of his choice?

Happy birthday Dr Dre, but you have a lot to answer for.

And for balance, our own fans are no angels. And anti-Semitic abuse is by no means limited to Chelsea, as I've witnessed the same at West Ham (this weekend will be so much fun), Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, and Man Utd, and I'm aware of incidents at Stoke, Newcastle, Leeds, and Cardiff to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've been to Stamford Bridge as an away fan three times, been to Wembley for a cup final vs them, and seen them countless times at White Hart Lane.

On every occasion I've witnessed anti-Semitic chanting and hissing noises from large numbers of Chelsea fans. Perhaps not thousands, but certainly in the low hundreds.

David Baddiel would have you believe that if Spurs fans would just stop using the Y word then that would be the end of it. Perhaps if black people stopped using the N word so liberally then that chap would have been free to get on the train of his choice?

Happy birthday Dr Dre, but you have a lot to answer for.

And for balance, our own fans are no angels. And anti-Semitic abuse is by no means limited to Chelsea, as I've witnessed the same at West Ham (this weekend will be so much fun), Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, and Man Utd, and I'm aware of incidents at Stoke, Newcastle, Leeds, and Cardiff to name but a few.
    I would hazard a guess that nearly every club has its share of fcukwits following them. Any fan who says his club hasn't got any of these fans is kidding themselves. I've heard stuff when I've been over to City games that were dreadful . Moreso in the pub before the game, rather than in the actual stadium. But still city fans nonetheless.Sometimes peoples' stupidity and ignorance is beyond comprehension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There always seems to be this notion that all clubs have exactly the same amount of people who do this. This 'but all clubs have supporters who act like this' is only valid as a throwaway comment, without taking any facts into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

You're all just repeating yourselves at this stage without actually establishing or solving anything. Yes it was bad, everyone has a negative opinion of some kind about the situation. Give it a rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement