Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Fans Stop A Black Man Boarding A Train In Paris (Read Mod Note in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah it's not like IRA ever bombed London right? Right..?

And what has that got to do with Irish immigrants being discriminated against for no reason when they moved to Glasgow to seek out a better way of life? But anyway, your clearly missing the point. Any old excuse to have a dig at the IRA, right?

Any old excuse to have a dig at the IRA, right?

If he wanted a dig at the IRA, presumably he would have gone for one of the easy ones, like blowing up kids in Warrington.

I think he was merely pointing out that when you suggested that what supporters of some clubs did was not reactionary, perhaps they were reacting to the violence they saw in a terrorist campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

djPSB wrote: »
    It's another example of the behaviour that's expected from Chelsea fans.

Do you not think the treatment of Rafa was wrong and disrespectful?

You didn't see abuse like that from United fans when they wanted Moyes out or from Liverpool fans when they wanted Hodgson gone.

It's a combination of things:
    - Chanting through the Hillsborough memorial
    - Racial abuse from fans
    - John Terry riding his colleagues wife
    - John Terry being a racist
    - Chants and banners calling your own manager fat

Not the kind of things you want associated with a club. It's the kind of stuff you'd expect from Millwall and the likes.

This sort of behaviour is certainly not what's "expected" of Chelsea fans

Unfortunately racial abuse is still at large in the sport if it wasn't there would be no need for kick it out campaigns.

The chanting during Hillsborough memorial was during a game in Wales in a stadium that fits approx 20,000 with Chelsea fans making up around 2,000 of that there was only assumptions made it was Chelsea fans.

John Terry cheated on his wife is actually the scandal here, The person he cheated with was broken up from his team-mate anyway that or the fact that you claim he is racist are irrelevant, What he or any other player does off the field has no baring on how the fans should dictate their own lives.

When Rafa was at Liverpool he said things about Chelsea that obviously came back to haunt him and many fans didn't want him there from the off and first few games included dropping points to London rivals, were some of the things said about him over the mark of course they were but he is hardly comparable to a man who was coming into a the club "Chosen one" or the current manager of the year when taking Liverpool job.

If he wanted a dig at the IRA, presumably he would have gone for one of the easy ones, like blowing up kids in Warrington.

I think he was merely pointing out that when you suggested that what supporters of some clubs did was not reactionary, perhaps they were reacting to the violence they saw in a terrorist campaign?

Well I think he was going more for mainland Britain to try and make some tenuous "credible" link.

This went on long before any terrorist campaign. That's the point. It was unprovoked vile spewed at a people for no reason, who only sought a better way of life. That's the mindset ingrained in these far right sectarian racist thugs, which is seemingly borne out of nothing of any real substance. This nasty undercurrent of hatred is alive and well within the ranks of certain sections of the Chelsea and Rangers following, hence the love in between the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reading back I do feel sorry for Chelsea fans here. They should not have to answer for why they support Chelsea. I think that is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

zerks wrote: »
    They really don't like it when that's brought up.

On the subject of Chelsea,it'd be these clowns left if for some reason the club ended up in the lower divisions and the (for the want of a better term) 'plastic fans' went on to the next fashionable team to follow.The mindset of these is that they are the "real fans" yet drag the clubs name through the sh1t.

Doubt many give a ****. I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Reading back I do feel sorry for Chelsea fans here. They should not have to answer for why they support Chelsea. I think that is wrong.

Not even getting involved in this. Religion has nothing to do with the football team I support and like was said, Have been at the Bridge many times and experienced no feelings of animosity towards Irish people.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Not even getting involved in this. Religion has nothing to do with the football team I support and like was said, Have been at the Bridge many times and experienced no feelings of animosity towards Irish people.

On a day trip? Or down to some of the local watering holes with local Chelsea fans before and after a game. Because one could easily go to Ibrox in a Rangers jersey, never open their mouth for the game and go straight home and claim Rangers aren't sectarian because I was there and never came across any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

On a day trip? Or down to some of the local watering holes with local Chelsea fans before and after a game. Because one could easily go to Ibrox in a Rangers jersey, never open their mouth for the game and go straight home and claim Rangers aren't sectarian because I was there and never came across any trouble

I've both over on day trips and for the weekend and travelled to away matches in England and Europe.

The arrogance that Liverpool / United fans etc think they know better than Chelsea fans who travel to games is laughable

Particularly when both clubs had more supporters arrested than Chelsea last season.

It's good for chest thumping. Our fans are better than yours etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Again, people support a football TEAM, NOT a minority or their supporters.

If you give in, you let the evil win.

Or Celtic in a celtic jersey

You seem to be obsessed with the 'bad fan' element. If you are in a day trip to the football wry would you go to a rough bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The funny thing in this thread is people telling the Irish Chelsea fans that we are supporting an anti-Irish club etc.

Yet all of us that have travelled over to games all report good experiences and all keep going back and all keep having good experiences.

Who are ye to tell us Chelsea is anti-Irish when we experience first-hand many times that its not?

Kind of insulting that our experiences don't seem to be evidence enough....

That's just because ye get to keep the plastic flags :P

Of all debates around football, surely the "fans of the club I randomly picked are nicer than fans of the club you randomly picked" ones are the most inane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well it is interesting to see that Chelsea now apparently does have a history after all. Pre 1970's Chelsea were seen as the glamour club in the UK being followed by a lot of celebrities (there is among many the famous photo of Raquel Welch in Ossie's #9 kit) mainly I guess due to location as we did not win as much as the huge support every week would have suggested. Things changed for the very much worse during the mid 1970's with the demise of British society as a whole really, during that period pitch battles among "fans" of every club was common place Chelsea were not unique. Perhaps due to its location perhaps due to its reputation as a glamour club violence was part of Chelsea until Cuddly Ken decided enough was enough and took steps to stamp it out (during this time violence was also associated with most big clubs has the Heysel tragedy been forgotton already?). Since then the conditions within Stamford Bridge have changed dramatically and is now a very safe multi cultural environment to watch a match very much different to when I attended my first game there in 1970-1971 season.

As Chelsea have become successful they have become hated but most other fans (they were pretty much everyone's second team during the days of Zola, Rudi and Vialli) but that is par for the course but what is funny really is the gibberish from posters who really have no idea what they are talking about or more likely just plain distorting facts to fit whatever agenda they are running currently.

I do not condone John Terry being unfaithful to his wife but Bridge and his ex had been apart for some six months when the alleged incident happened. It is also worth noting both parties deny the events taking placed and as JT's wife has accepted this then that is good enough for me I would say she is closer the incident.

The so called chanting at the Hillsborough memorial was at Swansea and was widely reported at the time that the chanting was coming from those making their way into the ground and not by those in the ground. Those making their way to the ground had no way of knowing that the minutes silence was on, there is a very good soundbite somewhere in the net of the total silence observed at Thomond Park during the All Blacks game a few years back during a kick at goal where a lone dogs bark is clearly heard, I know because I was at the game and the crowd started to chuckle when it happened. Noise travels and is more clearly heard in silence. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

As for not being able to go into a bar near the ground lest the bad people find out your Irish I wear a red Munster Rugby or a green IRFU wooly hat to pretty much every game I go to in the winter months be it rugby, Premier League or a Bundesliga game I have never had an issue and I have been to hundreds of Chelsea matches. So the talk of non English nationals not being welcomed at Stamford Bridge is pure BS by those who I suspect have never been there.

The events on the Paris metro on Tuesday should be rightly condemned by any sane thinking person if they were racially motivated. To tar all Chelsea supporters with the same brush is as bigoted as the behaviour by the people in the train.

247C34FE00000578-0-image-m-34_1420745023542.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

19 arrests in the last decade for racism by Chelsea fans put them 2nd in the hall of shame,West Ham are worst with 21.Might not seem a huge amount but these are those who got caught or were reported.The train incident would probably never have been mentioned unless it was caught on camera,I'm sure it's not the first time these eejits have done something like this.

Here's another one of the culprits-UKIP supporter,what a surprise.

500.jpg

19 arrests in the last decade for racism by Chelsea fans put them 2nd in the hall of shame,West Ham are worst with 21.

I think that was specifically for racist chanting. It presumably does not cover racist assaults, or other racist incidents, which might see them fall or rise in that table.

Newcastle United topped the overall arrests 2 years back. Ahead of ManU and miles ahead of Chelsea, and bucking the idea that they are a loveable bunch while the Chelsea fans are just bad to the bone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-hooliganism-rising-how-your-2355308

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think that was specifically for racist chanting. It presumably does not cover racist assaults, or other racist incidents, which might see them fall or rise in that table.

Newcastle United topped the overall arrests 2 years back. Ahead of ManU and miles ahead of Chelsea, and bucking the idea that they are a loveable bunch while the Chelsea fans are just bad to the bone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-hooliganism-rising-how-your-2355308

I think you are right,it was those caught in grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Footage like this is hardly surprising when you've parties like UKIP legitimising casual racism and whipping racial tension up and down the country.

Quelle surprise.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/19/chelsea-fan-in-paris-metro-video-posed-in-picture-with-nigel-farage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

19 arrests in the last decade for racism by Chelsea fans put them 2nd in the hall of shame,West Ham are worst with 21.Might not seem a huge amount but these are those who got caught or were reported.The train incident would probably never have been mentioned unless it was caught on camera,I'm sure it's not the first time these eejits have done something like this.

Here's another one of the culprits-UKIP supporter,what a surprise.

500.jpg

Or does it make Chelsea the 2nd in the hall of pride (?) for tackling the problem with the greatest effect? For all we know from that Sunderland fans are chanting racist abuse every week and just not being arrested.

At least it's a fact, but you can't draw that Chelsea are the worst/2nd worst for racism from it.

Also I can't imagine that 1/2 per year is statistically worthy of comparison is it? If one family of Everton fans get arrested in their next game suddenly they're the worst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    I suppose, Liverpool fans don't get much of a hard time over here for following the "orange" club so Chelsea fans can probably feel hard done by in that respect.

The Orange Club. LOL!! :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Or does it make Chelsea the 2nd in the hall of pride (?) for tackling the problem with the greatest effect? For all we know from that Sunderland fans are chanting racist abuse every week and just not being arrested.

At least it's a fact, but you can't draw that Chelsea are the worst/2nd worst for racism from it.

Also I can't imagine that 1/2 per year is statistically worthy of comparison is it? If one family of Everton fans get arrested in their next game suddenly they're the worst?

Also just to note I'm obviously not suggesting Sunderland/Everton have a problem, just that the stat is relatively meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Everton will never make the top 4.

Yeah, doesn't really tell the whole story.

Utd had double the fans arrested of Chelsea last season. Does that make them the overall worst?!

No club is free from idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

kryogen wrote: »

I suppose, Liverpool fans don't get much of a hard time over here for following the "orange" club so Chelsea fans can probably feel hard done by in that respect.

First I've heard of this tbh.

I remember in secondary school a friend of mine who supported Rangers getting awful stick, when they asked me who I supported I said Liverpool they ignored me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The so called chanting at the Hillsborough memorial was at Swansea and was widely reported at the time that the chanting was coming from those making their way into the ground and not by those in the ground. Those making their way to the ground had no way of knowing that the minutes silence was on, there is a very good soundbite somewhere in the net of the total silence observed at Thomond Park during the All Blacks game a few years back during a kick at goal where a lone dogs bark is clearly heard, I know because I was at the game and the crowd started to chuckle when it happened. Noise travels and is more clearly heard in silence. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I just want to clarify that the disrespect I referred to earlier in the thread was at Wembley 2012, a game I was at. I used it as an example of my experience of horrible fans in the flesh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130245/Hillsborough-tragedy-Chelsea-fans-shout-murderers-silence-mark-23rd-anniversary.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nuneaton Town 87

:D

This is gas was waiting for Ferdinand to get his spoke in

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-questions-whether-football-5189633?

Obviously has forgotten all about this

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jul/15/rio-ferdinand-ashley-cole-racist-fake

I think he needs to put the phone down and think about what racism is, even Super Mario makes more sense on the racism issue than Ferdinand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the great man has spoken the end

Gianfranco Zola: "Chelsea fans, the real ones, aren't racists. The proof is how the club is tackling any issue: life banning from stadium"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This is gas was waiting for Ferdinand to get his spoke in

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-questions-whether-football-5189633?

Obviously has forgotten all about this

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jul/15/rio-ferdinand-ashley-cole-racist-fake

I think he needs to put the phone down and think about what racism is, even Super Mario makes more sense on the racism issue than Ferdinand

Ferdinand, nothing between his ears. That Cole tweet was brilliant and the fact he didnt see it as racist was even better, "its only a slang term".

Good defence. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ferdinand, nothing between his ears. That Cole tweet was brilliant and the fact he didnt see it as racist was even better, "its only a slang term".

Good defence. :pac:

Wonder if JT used it as he was found not guilty :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

peteeeed wrote: »
    the great man has spoken the end

Gianfranco Zola: "Chelsea fans, the real ones, aren't racists. The proof is how the club is tackling any issue: life banning from stadium"

That's nonsense, they are real fans and that's why they spend hundreds/thousands of bucks to support their team.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's nonsense, they are real fans and that's why they spend hundreds/thousands of bucks to support their team.

Or they use the club as a vehicle for peddling their hatred and violence

Have to agree, even though a minority they were real fans who used their hard earned to travel to Paris and follow their team.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Have to agree, even though a minority they were real fans who used their hard earned to travel to Paris and follow their team.

The club disown them - why do you insist they are 'real' fans. Zola doesn't think so.

Using a club as an excuse to pedal racism and violence doesn't make you a real fan at all

efb wrote: »

Or maybe they are both? Hate filled and football fans, the two are not always mutually exclusive I would say.

Not sure I agree with this as it doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The club disown them - why do you insist they are 'real' fans. Zola doesn't think so.

Using a club as an excuse to pedal racism and violence doesn't make you a real fan at all

I doubt they bought flights/hotels/tickets over to Paris just to be a **** to a black guy in a station. They were there to support Chelsea.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Or maybe they are both? Hate filled and football fans, the both are not always mutually exclusive I would say.

But if Chelsea disown them, take away their tickets then they are travelling around for what? To fight and chant offensive slogans - sign of real fans for sure

• Advertisement

I doubt they bought flights/hotels/tickets over to Paris just to be a **** to a black guy in a station. They were there to support Chelsea.

You know they had tickets to the match?

Not sure I agree with this as it doesn't make any sense.

Think about it

But if Chelsea disown them, take away their tickets then they are travelling around for what? To fight and chant offensive slogans - sign of real fans for sure

Before this incident they had tickets and went to support team. What happens in the future isn't of much use now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You know they had tickets to the match?

You know that they aren't ''real fans''?

Before this incident they had tickets and went to support team. What happens in the future isn't of much use now.

I think you are using it as a stick to beat Chelsea with and given Chelsea FC's response to date it doesn't hold water

I think you are using it as a stick to beat Chelsea with and given Chelsea FC's response to date it doesn't hold water

I think you are confusing me with someone else as I have not blamed Chelsea club at all.

You know that they aren't ''real fans''?

The club has condemned them, one of their greatest players disowned them - how would they be real fans???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't see how being a racist could make anyone less of a football fan tbh, petty arguments like that just take away from the actual issue.

I think you are confusing me with someone else as I have not blamed Chelsea club at all.

So you acknowledge they are not part of Chelsea Club then?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't see how being a racist could make anyone less of a football fan tbh, petty arguments like that just take away from the actual issue.

How can you be rascist and support a team with players of different races?

• Advertisement
Advertisement