Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Engines running at Bus/Coach Parking Spots

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Are there any regulations regarding buses leaving their engines on at dedicated bus/coach rest stops?

There's one just outside our apartment building and, in general, there are no issues with Dublin Bus or other coaches parking there.

Occassionally, we get a Dublin Bus that sits there with the engine on and revving it to high revs for periods of time (1min at high revs and then 3-4 mins at idling revs, repeated once or twice). Obviously, we would like to avoid the pollution of somebody running their engine directly below the rooms that we sleep in but there is a huge noise nuisance with this.

I have a recording of a bus doing this last night at 11:00pm that I want to send on to Dublin Bus but I wanted to clarify if they were breaking any rules in advance.

Cheers,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Drivers are supposed to switch their engines off when at termini. Contact Dublin Bus about it as the drivers are obviously breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KCoffey

Drivers are supposed to switch their engines off when at termini. Contact Dublin Bus about it as the drivers are obviously breaking the rules.

Thanks, schemingbohemia. I have sent Dublin Bus an email now and, hopefully, they'll get it sorted soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Might be worth taking a look at a recent discussion on the same topic, start from post #24 .......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056203198&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

KCoffey wrote: »
    Are there any regulations regarding buses leaving their engines on at dedicated bus/coach rest stops?

There's one just outside our apartment building and, in general, there are no issues with Dublin Bus or other coaches parking there.

Occassionally, we get a Dublin Bus that sits there with the engine on and revving it to high revs for periods of time (1min at high revs and then 3-4 mins at idling revs, repeated once or twice). Obviously, we would like to avoid the pollution of somebody running their engine directly below the rooms that we sleep in but there is a huge noise nuisance with this.

I have a recording of a bus doing this last night at 11:00pm that I want to send on to Dublin Bus but I wanted to clarify if they were breaking any rules in advance.

Cheers,
    K

Actually it sounds like a symptom of turning the bus off, the bus braking system runs on compressed air when the driver turns off the bus that air escapes, depending on how long or if there is a leak when the driver turns the engine back on to ready to depart the air has to be built up you can only do that by running the engine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

And if the driver hasn't done this, then the bus won't be leaving on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Cheers,
    K

IF,you mean any LAW to force busdrivers to switch off engines at termini,then AFAIK,there is no specific requirement in law to do so.

There are however company specific rules,which in a Legal sense are not enforceable outside of internal disciplinary proceedings.

So,other than considering Leitrim,I suggest lobbying a vote-hungry politician as your best bet.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

He was only building the air. Relax

Red Alert wrote: »
    And if the driver hasn't done this, then the bus won't be leaving on time.

Or at all

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

how much of a noise nuisance? is the smoke leaking into your room? i'd leave it to be honest. just the bus getting set up to depart or making sure they are ready to depart as quick as possible

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I'll try to dig out the video I took of it later - it definitely isn't a routine thing as lots of buses park there during the day and at night and don't make any noticeable noise. Every once in a while though, some guy seems to have a brick on the accelerator or something.

Thanks for the replies though - it is useful to have the brakes working on a bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll try to dig out the video I took of it later - it definitely isn't a routine thing as lots of buses park there during the day and at night and don't make any noticeable noise. Every once in a while though, some guy seems to have a brick on the accelerator or something.

Thanks for the replies though - it is useful to have the brakes working on a bus!

Sounds like DB have a bus with an ongoing air leak. The company policy of stopping the engines at termini means the bus is loosing air pressure and the only way for the driver to get going is to rev it to get air pressure back up. Catch 22 for that bus either leave it running to maintain air pressure or rev the it hard to build up the pressure, or fix the leak!

If its every once in a while, then it is random buses with an air leak, they are fine as long as the engine is running its replacing the leaking air, as long as the hole isn't too big, but once its stopped then the air runs down, the driver may not even be aware there is a leak until he starts the bus up to leave and no air, means no brakes no doors, and the bus won't move.
    I can understand it would be quite annoying especially if you think it is been done just to cause a nuisance, maybe now you know why it happens it mightn't be so annoying.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sounds like DB have a bus with an ongoing air leak. The company policy of stopping the engines at termini means the bus is loosing air pressure and the only way for the driver to get going is to rev it to get air pressure back up. Catch 22 for that bus either leave it running to maintain air pressure or rev the it hard to build up the pressure, or fix the leak!

The driver probably isn't aware there is a leak until he restarts it, but whatever you do it will annoy someone, keep it running = complaint, rev it = complaint or let it build back up on the engine idling = complaint because the bus is late and its sitting there for 10 or 15 minutes with the engine running.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Does the driver have to actively rev the engine with the accelerator pedal(presumably in neutral)? Would have thought the company would frown on that kind of thing at(possibly busy) terminii after the Wellington Quay disaster.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Does the driver have to actively rev the engine with the accelerator pedal(presumably in neutral)? Would have thought the company would frown on that kind of thing at(possibly busy) terminii after the Wellington Quay disaster.
    It's either rev it and fill air quicker or let it idle and it'll take ages to build air

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

micraX wrote: »
    It's either rev it and fill air quicker or let it idle and it'll take ages to build air
    .. or they could get it fixed?

Alun wrote: »
    .. or they could get it fixed?

At the side of the road ?

Or are you suggesting that the tow truck should be brought out to tow the vehicle back to the depot, I wonder how understanding you would be if you were waiting for that bus ???

Why ? Drivers are actively reving engines all day sometimes with the bus in gear and actually moving and with people nearby sometimes even on the bus.

If the driver is building up the air, there is a mechanical brake preventing the bus from moving which automatically engages when the air pressure falls below a certain point.

But no they dont have to rev the engine and newer buses have a limiter to stop the bus being revved too high in neutral but the alternative is to let it build up itself but even then the driver will have to move the bus with people around at some stage which will involve revving the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cdebru wrote: »
    At the side of the road ?
    No, back in the garage, obviously. If a bus has an ongoing problem with a compressed air leak then it should be reported and fixed properly, not left to the driver to patch over the fault in this way.

No, back in the garage, obviously. If a bus has an ongoing problem with a compressed air leak then it should be reported and fixed properly, not left to the driver to patch over the fault in this way.

And who says that's not happening ? The fact that it is a random occurrence for the OP suggests that the buses are being repaired otherwise it would be a lot more common practice is to report it at the end of the day unless the problem is particularly bad, it may only show up on a particular journey which has a longer stopover which is probably why the OP is seeing it at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Why ? Drivers are actively reving engines all day sometimes with the bus in gear and actually moving and with people nearby sometimes even on the bus.

If the driver is building up the air, there is a mechanical brake preventing the bus from moving which automatically engages when the air pressure falls below a certain point.

But no they dont have to rev the engine and newer buses have a limiter to stop the bus being revved too high in neutral but the alternative is to let it build up itself but even then the driver will have to move the bus with people around at some stage which will involve revving the engine.

Ah fair enough so.

Just saying, because DB are nowadays very strict about using the handbrake at stops, turning off the engine for driver changes, that kind of thing. I thought it was in response to Wellington Quay, so this practise of building air I thought would be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Air leaks should be picked up by the driver whilst doing his walk around check before departure I know the RSA would take action if you happen to be stopped at a checkpoint.

I don't blame the OP for being pisd off..

Ah fair enough so.

Just saying, because DB are nowadays very strict about using the handbrake at stops, turning off the engine for driver changes, that kind of thing. I thought it was in response to Wellington Quay, so this practise of building air I thought would be related.
    You have to put the hand brake on opening the door or an annoying buzzer goes off

Truckermal wrote: »
    Air leaks should be picked up by the driver whilst doing his walk around check before departure I know the RSA would take action if you happen to be stopped at a checkpoint.

Depends where the leak is and how big it is, but an air leak is not on the first use checklist either way. And at night time that bus could have been on the road 18 hours or more it could have developed during the day, they dont just develope leaks while parked up overnight you know.

Truckermal wrote: »

the RSA are cnuts. And I've never heard of a dublin bus or bus eireann bus being stopped

the RSA are cnuts. And I've never heard of a dublin bus or bus eireann bus being stopped

They have stopped them DB anyway more than once.

They have stopped them DB anyway more than once.

Have they actually? Over what? Haha

Apologies for the delay - here's a link to the video below. Recorded it on a tablet so the sound quality isn't great but you can gauge the noise level off the final few seconds where the driver drops the engine back to idle again. I'm based about 1.5km from the Pearse Street depot for reference.

Due to the age of my account, I can't post the youtube video, but the bit after the url is:

/watch?v=ah6qCS75BjM&feature=youtu.be

(Somebody else might put the full link in)

I'll make sure to grab a regular camera for recording next time.

Dublin Bus replied by the way - said that they were reviewing the incident and will talk with the driver as they know the date and time.

Have they actually? Over what? Haha

Just a regular check AFAIK they have Gardai with them, just check everything over make sure its all working, tyres, any fluid leaks, tyres, wipers lights etc just general road worthiness and that the vehicle has a first use check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Actually it sounds like a symptom of turning the bus off, the bus braking system runs on compressed air when the driver turns off the bus that air escapes, depending on how long or if there is a leak when the driver turns the engine back on to ready to depart the air has to be built up you can only do that by running the engine.

It doesn't take a bus 15 minutes to build air pressure. Any leak bad enough that it takes the bus 15 minutes to build air pressure would also mean the bus then loses that pressure immediately.

Its not an air leak, its just a fault with the compressor, probably carbon build up in the pipes or a fault in the head. Thats a big enough job to repair, but not something that will immediately stop the bus running (though it will eventually) so I could see why the garage would let the bus drive on for a while until the repair can be properly scheduled.

Advertisement