Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning to code what ways?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi I have been learning basic code at home , this is probably a stupid question but just wondering on how I familiarise myself with it , is it through writing it out constantly or just through reading .

also btw I am actually enjoying it , thought I wouldn't

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Doing it, doing it and more doing it. When you're done, do it some more. Rinse and repeat.

In the times you're not doing it, read about it.

Imagine trying to learn to drive by just reading books about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

That is very true thanks can you recommend any books ? for complete beginners either in a nice easy language to start off in?

p.s I probably will be asking many more questions in future .

What do you know so far, what have you read, what have you tried, what are you interested in, what are you planning to build (think of something if you haven't already)?

html just the basics , learning from an app called devlearn , interested in creating websites with a great search function , interested in making apps , I would like to make a nice app that could keep track of expenses linked with bank account , with a calender function

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I found codecademy a great place to improve my web skills, it covers a lot of the web languages in an interactive way, after doing a course there try to build a personal website of your own maybe? - http://www.codecademy.com/learn

• Advertisement

It might take a while for you to find out what style of learning suits you. This isn't a bad place to start, it blends learning with doing and it's presented in nice bitesize pieces that you can start/stop as time allows:

http://www.codecademy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have you a preference on language?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, if you feel like you can read the code as well (IMHO harder that writing) try to find some real software that is written in you favourite language and try to help with fixing bugs. Obviously you have to have some level of confidence in your skills to do it, but it's a really good exercise.

I'm using code academy , started off on python because I Googled around and seen it was the easiest to understand and all going good except I'm getting stuck in string methods part dot notation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm using code academy , started off on python because I Googled around and seen it was the easiest to understand and all going good except I'm getting stuck in string methods part dot notation

as in
    this.that()

sort of thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement