Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to newspapers for cleaning up after dog?

• 18-02-2015 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

What do you use if your dog has an accident in the house?

I don't buy a paper anymore and my sources for newspapers has stopped pretty much.

Just wondering if there is an inexpensive alternative as good as the old newspaper?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What kind of accident, 1 or 2? :o

Is your dog having frequent accidents in the house?

I can't really help as my dog never has an accident inside and if she did then I'd use an old floor cloth but at my vets they have a bucket and mop on standby for the inevitable pees in the waiting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've never found paper very good for actually picking up poo, or soaking up wee. Kitchen towel, inside a poo bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Kitchen paper, a microfiber bathmat, or an old towel. Then clean the area with bio washing liquid to get rid of the ammonia smell - bleach won't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We have a LOT of accidents to clean up considering one of my cats is incontinent, best way I've found is either kitchen rolls and disinfectant, or those packs of disinfectant wipes that they use to clean surfaces in hospitals. (I don't know if these are on sale anywhere in the general public though? My parents order them along with incontinence sheets from their works medical suppliers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Ah no its just I have a few dogs and sometimes there is an odd accident - like a couple of months ago when 2 of them got a bug and were vomitting up their food.

In that case I would use a poo bag and then clean up with newspaper with a spray of some anti-bac stuff.

I found the newspaper handy for pee but my source (a recycling business) can't give me newspapers anymore.

I have a load of old towels so I'll suppose I'll have to use them along with a mop/bags.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just buy a €2 mop and bucket and use it exclusively for that purpose? Cheap dustpan and brush for any solids and rinse them with a hose after.

Edit: Maybe not a brush but a bit of cardboard instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

odckdo wrote: »

I found the newspaper handy for pee but my source (a recycling business) can't give me newspapers anymore.

Check your supermarket - eg the Tescos near us have a free local newspaper that I often grab a few copies of for spillages etc ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tk123 wrote: »
    Check your supermarket - eg the Tescos near us have a free local newspaper that I often grab a few copies of for spillages etc ;)
    That's what I do, just pick up a handful of freebie newspapers in Lidl, in my case the "Wicklow Times". Either that, or I get my wife to bring home the old newspapers from the coffee corner at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Down my way the only free paper has stopped - out of business I think.

Growing up there was always newspapers in the house - good for cleaning up after the dog. My Dad would get a paper everyday and two on a Sunday - The Sunday Times alone is massive and must have taken at least 10 trees to make. He has since discovered the iPad.

For some reason I just assumed that everyone used newspapers in some way when cleaning up a mess.

Thankfully no pups atm - that would be a nightmare, cleaning wise.

Advertisement