Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop dead?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Have a HP DM4 Beats edition laptop, it's roughly two years old, still would be decently speced (for me) i5 processor, 8gb ram, terabyte HD, yada yada.

Anyway apart from some fan issues since I got it (took apart, blew out fan) no issues really. Went to turn it on a few days ago and it was dead. Dead dead. No lights, no beeps, nothing. And I mean nothing. Got a new charger, still nothing. Took out battery, nothing. Tried to reset it as per instruction manual. Nothing.

Anyone have any idea as to why this would happen?

What should I do next.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

:D Nothing.....only joking

Do you have a multi-meter to test the AC voltage output?
    If the adapter is okay, well then it could be either your DC jack or the motherboard that is at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP you MAY have tried this already BUT
    Take out the battery from the laptop and leave it out.
    Plug the laptop in without the battery and try switching on.
    Worked for a Toshiba laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

I can't multiquote the both of ye but thanks. I don't have a voltage tester to try it out and I've tried unplugging it and taking the battery out for a day and still dead. Do ye think it's totally fooked or could it be a simple fix?

Until you find out the issue I wouldn't say goodbye to it just yet.
    Is the Ac adapter the exact one? Is there a indicator light on it?
    Can you get your hands on an adapter?
    If you could somehow test the adapter output and it is okay well then at least you will know that is not the problem.
    Then move on to the next stage.....

Also, when you say you took it apart, did you take off the heatsink? If so did you apply some thermal paste before reassembling!
    Did you reassemble it correctly?
    You may have shorted the mobo!
    What was wrong with the fan initially?

• Advertisement

Having read your op again I see the fault only happened after you took it apart.
    If everything was fine beforehand and it only happened afterwards then I believe you reassembled it wrong. You probably never applied thermal compound, you never connected a socket correctly or you shorted the motherboard.
    Go back again and double check everything.

Again sorry for not multi quoting but no the problem happened randomly. It's been taken apart and put together several times over the years just go blow out the fan. I didn't remove heat sync. It's put back together fine and was working for the last 6 months grand until she just wouldn't turn on a few days ago.

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Until you find out the issue I wouldn't say goodbye to it just yet.
    Is the Ac adapter the original? Is there a indicator light on it?
    Can you get your hands on an adapter?
    If you could somehow test the adapter output and it is okay well then at least you will know that is not the problem.
    Then move on to the next stage.....

Yes it's the original adapter and I've a second one I use too. Both HP. No indicator lights on them though. The adapters work as I could charge a friends laptop with it. Really worried that the laptop is dead. I really really need it for applying for jobs etc and definitely can't afford a new one or a costly repair....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Hi
    It could be the power socket on the computer I have replaced several its a simple job there are lots of sites on the internet which would show you how to replace the old one, if that is the problem.Try a little pressure on the power plug into the computer see if that gives you power.
    You will have to find out if there is a voltage coming from your power unit to the computer. You can get the jack sockets on e-bay.The suggestions so far are good.
    Best wishes

Just for the hell of it....
    Check your RAM modules..bad RAM can cause all sorts of issues.
    Take one out at a time, maybe switch bays.

• Advertisement

What should I look out for on the power socket on the laptop? I'll be home in an hour, I'll take apart, switch ram and hope for the best. I mean it was working fine...I don't understand how it can just be dead....

When you get home try this first:

It has to be done this way....
    Unplug your power adapter from the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
    When done, do not put your battery back in, but plug in your power adapter and see if it will start.

If that does not work, then try taking out ram modules one at a time, maybe switching bays...it's a long shot but costs you nothing.

If that does not work maybe locate and reseat the cmos battery, take it out for 5 mins.

These are just suggestions that will cost you nothing with no special tools required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
    On August 26, 2014, HP announced a worldwide voluntary recall and replacement program in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies for certain AC power cords used with AC adapters shipped with HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook computers, as well as with AC adapters provided with accessories such as docking stations.

This HP recall is worldwide.
    HP customers affected by this program will be eligible to receive a replacement AC power cord for each verified, recalled AC power cord at no cost.

Source: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dm4-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5186833/model/5218180/document/c04404446/

Will try all those things and report back. For the record I tried the battery out, power button down thing as per the instruction manual and still dead.

When you say that you took it apart to clean the fan, just look over any small connections incase they came loose or popped out. Also check the tiny ribbon cables to make sure they are fully in, if there is any in that location.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is the light on beside the charger socket on the laptop when you turn on the charger?

Mr. G wrote: »
    Is the light on beside the charger socket on the laptop when you turn on the charger?

No light what so ever when I plug it in and there usually is a white LED that comes on.

Have you tried taking out the dvd drive and see if that helps.
    Then try taking out the hdd and see if there is any life in that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

did you check the fuse in plug and even plug charger into a different wall socket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

It's one in a 1000 fix.

Leave it in a warm place overnight e.g hot press at home or near a rad (not so hot it would melt it)

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    It's one in a 1000 fix.

Leave it in a warm place overnight e.g hot press at home or near a rad (not so hot it would melt it)

I wouldn't recommend that dude as the heat will have adverse effects on the monitor. If it's not a problem with inside connections or the power cable, then it's most likely the mobo that has died.

Putting it anywhere near a hot-press will cause problems. But I suppose you could say the same for me when I put my graphics card in the oven at 200°C to get it working :eek: even though it worked after doing this for 2 months. The ole monitor though would be a problem near too much heat.

If there is no power or lights then it's either the power adapter/cable or mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i had a dead laptop,left it for 2 years,did nothing,
    did not power up,no lights on when plugged in.
    2 months ago plugged in new charger
    new ram,
    new hd,
    taken from hp laptop,
    Now it works fine,

My advice,remove battery,
    put near a hot radiator for 4 hours.
    try it with battery in and then with battery out.

or sell it for parts,on adverts.ie As is.
    have a look at the power jack connections on the laptop,inside.

i have a 15 inch laptop,
    worked fine.
    4 wires disconnected from power jack,
    power would go off if i moved it,
    wires need resoldering,reconnecting.
    no ram, no drive.
    if u are in dublin u can have it for nothing.
    hp 2.oghz cpu.dualcore.

You can buy an old dual core laptop,2.0ghz for 70 -80 on adverts.ie

take ram from old laptop,and drive if its compatible.

Right so!
    Update on this... I took the whole thing apart last night, of course the last thing to come out of it was the power socket to motherboard connection which was blackened..and had a wire out on it. It's an 8pin vonn connection to the board, that's the part that was burnt. I assume this is why it won't charge? So anyway, took the part out, had a look and ordered one on eBay for 10 euro delivered...

What are the chances I can get away with just swapping out this part with zero damage done to the board?

That should solve the problem, well done.
    And just use the original charger from now on if you can help it.

While you have it open check the mobo for any blown capacitors.

And don't forget to apply some fresh thermal compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Let us know how you got on OP?

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Let us know how you got on OP?

I will do. A friend of mine has the offending piece of malfunctioning wire, when I get it back I'll upload pics so it may help somebody else.

Advertisement