Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The whole course perimeter has been sealed off by Georgia National Guard and the the city of August is in a state of Emergency.

City of where ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The most over-hyped tournament on the most over-rated course administered by the most overly smug and precious bunch of old farts, covered by the most overly-sycophantic media and with the most overly-restricted field.

What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

First Up wrote: »
    The most over-hyped tournament on the most over-rated course administered by the most overly smug and precious bunch of old farts, covered by the most overly-sycophantic media and with the most overly-restricted field.

What's not to like?
    Hey man, it's the disneyland of golf and what's not to like about disneyland????

Hey man, it's the disneyland of golf and what's not to like about disneyland????

Mickey Mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

Rikand wrote: »
    This is pretty well done

Gotta love that music!

I use this music as my ringtone so as to keep me reminded that is only a few weeks away and then change the ringtone to some other sh1ite for the rest of the year....

The lyrics to the tune are nice as well.....my Favorite verese is this one'' Oh, Augusta
    Your dogwoods and pines
    They play on my mind like a song
    Oh, Augusta
    It’s you that I love
    It’s you that I miss when I’m gone''

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/lyrics-masters-theme-song-augusta-dave-loggins/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

What's not to like?

I'm not quite sure. I could be wrong but I sense you're not a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

What's not to like?

"Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not all out to get me."

Just because the Masters is somewhat over-hyped, it doesn't mean that it's not one of the best venues and best tournaments of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

a certain amount are lottery, i got lucky by playing with somebody who is a member there a few years ago and have stayed in touch, hes coming over here this year for some golf and ill organise some things for him as hes given me 2 tickets for 2016!

Jaysus, Gorfield - you must have pulled some amount that day - to give him hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What's not to like?

Fair play First Up - Right on all fronts.

But - that is why you got to love it.

There are certain institutions in life, that try to remind us of the past. I love "most" of them - I give in, in the end, to modernisation, But was right on Facebook ;).

They include.

The GAA - which seems to be trying to be too cool, with every passing president.
    The Irish Pub
    The R&A
    The USA
    Sinn Fein
    Match of The day
    The Late Late
    The catholic Church
    The Masters
    The Tayto crisps
    The Open
    The Snooker World championships
    Wimbledon
    The Proms
    The Queens Speech
    The RTE Football Coverage
    The Irish Wedding

Yes they will all go - and face the increasing pace of acceleration and passing fads of coolness.

But, we should't ignore the realities of our past

It is so out of date - it is jaw droppingly brilliant for that reason.
    It is not X-Factor.

Fair play First Up - Right on all fronts.

But - that is why you got to love it.

There are certain institutions in life, that try to remind us of the past. I love "most" of them - I give in, in the end, to modernisation, But was right on Facebook ;).

They include.

The GAA - which seems to be trying to be too cool, with every passing president.
    The Irish Pub
    The R&A
    The USA
    Sinn Fein
    Match of The day
    The Late Late
    The catholic Church
    The Masters
    The Tayto crisps
    The Open
    The Snooker World championships
    Wimbledon
    The Proms
    The Queens Speech
    The RTE Football Coverage
    The Irish Wedding

Yes they will all go - and face the increasing pace of acceleration and passing fads of coolness.

But, we should't ignore the realities of our past

It is so out of date - it is jaw droppingly brilliant for that reason.
    It is not X-Factor.

I've nothing against nostalgia (which is not what it used to be) and I am a staunch supporter of the traditions and values of golf. I adore the Open Championship which is authentic but the Masters annoys the hell out of me.
    I'll watch the bits that constitute a golf tournament but with gritted teeth.
    And I have written about the course elsewhere. When not dollied up for the cameras much of it is just hilly and underwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I love The Masters, the sunshine, the quality of the course presented, the deep field, the weather and is always close to us getting our extra hour so all in all it kick starts our golfing season proper, and this year with the Irish players, can't wait.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My enjoyment will be greatly increased if Tiger Woods is not playing. I want to watch golf.
    With a bit of luck Brooks Koepka's big driving will be shown.
    Shane Lowry might make a run. He has the short game.
    I am not a fan of "stats" that say first timers can't win. That type of illogical stat was also bandied about for the soccer World Cup - a team can't win on a different continent - Germany did. The reason first-timers don't win imo is most of the good USA pros play it as amateurs, so by the time they are competitive they have already played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I personally prefer the Open but The Masters is a spectacle though in the best sense of the word. The history, the winners, the setting, the "start" of the golf year and the fact it's on at when the kids are in bed makes it so good. Who here wouldn't relish a chance to smack one down the middle of the 18th?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Jaysus, Gorfield - you must have pulled some amount that day - to give him hope :D

Funnily i was playing great until the Augusta conversation started......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

slave1 wrote: »
    I love The Masters, the sunshine, the quality of the course presented, the deep field, .

about 40% smaller field than all the other majors....its should actually be the easiest major to win with the field size. probably 90 golfers go off as opposed to 156 in the other majors.

mr.pedantic

about 40% smaller field than all the other majors....its should actually be the easiest major to win with the field size. probably 90 golfers go off as opposed to 156 in the other majors.

mr.pedantic

Including a bunch of past winners there on a jolly. What odds on Langer, Olazabal, Mike Weir, Fred Couples, Ray Floyd, Ben Crenshaw, Faldo, Woosnam....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I'd love to see Kuchar exorcise his demons and win the Masters. Has the pedigree but just can't get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'd love to see Kuchar exorcise his demons and win the Masters. Has the pedigree but just can't get over the line.

possibly one of the greatest chokers of all time. won like 6 times in 17 years. When you think of his game and where he is at, he should be winning alot more. Doesnt have the mentality compared to the big boys.

He's a running joke amongst our syndicate about his inability to get the job done.

diomed wrote: »
    My enjoyment will be greatly increased if Tiger Woods is not playing. I want to watch golf.
    With a bit of luck Brooks Koepka's big driving will be shown.
    Shane Lowry might make a run. He has the short game.
    I am not a fan of "stats" that say first timers can't win. That type of illogical stat was also bandied about for the soccer World Cup - a team can't win on a different continent - Germany did. The reason first-timers don't win imo is most of the good USA pros play it as amateurs, so by the time they are competitive they have already played it.

I think Lowry may come to regret his decision not to spend as much practice time as he could. It is a course where familiarity around the greens pays huge dividends. Lowry's putting is his weakest stat and Augusta is no place to be weak on that front.

Cant wait to see this guy again :D

http://video.golfdigest.com/watch/fred-couples-how-to-swing-like-me-sept-2013

Hopefully he can do it this year. Be some achievement as a 55 year old! :D

• Advertisement

Maybe if he was off the ladies tees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Why does he always look like he just left the armchair by the fire just to go out for a few holes in his slippers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Loved the video but have not got a clue what he's on about :confused:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Why does he always look like he just left the armchair by the fire just to go out for a few holes in his slippers?

Because thats probably what happened, lol.

"Backs feeling good today, I'll give them golfdigest folks a call....."

I think Lowry may come to regret his decision not to spend as much practice time as he could. It is a course where familiarity around the greens pays huge dividends. Lowry's putting is his weakest stat and Augusta is no place to be weak on that front.

What are you basing your information on?

Personal experience?

Guessing?

You heard it on the telly?

I'm guessing hes trying to treat it as just another tournament tbh, and rightly so imo, if he started going there too early id imagine hed over do it, and when your trying to compete at that level, routine and sticking to what works is usually best.

Doral is notoriously long, you didn't see him going there really early to try learn how to hit it 30yds further?? No he treated it as another tournament, and had another good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

As he said himself in the indo he would rather be playing well then know the course as it won't help you if your slicing it off the tee. ( As if :rolleyes:)

benny79 wrote: »
    As he said himself in the indo he would rather be playing well then know the course as it won't help you if your slicing it off the tee. ( As if :rolleyes:)

It was in the Irish Times and it struck me as a particularly idiotic point.

What are you basing your information on?

Personal experience?

Guessing?

You heard it on the telly?

I'm guessing hes trying to treat it as just another tournament tbh, and rightly so imo, if he started going there too early id imagine hed over do it, and when your trying to compete at that level, routine and sticking to what works is usually best.

Doral is notoriously long, you didn't see him going there really early to try learn how to hit it 30yds further?? No he treated it as another tournament, and had another good week.

My we are touchy.

What information? That the Augusta greens are tricky? Not exactly a secret.
    As it happens I do have personal experience, having played it twice but that is less relevant than the almost eighty years of evidence.

Do you even play golf? Because if you did, you would be unlikely to say anything as ridiculous as your "30 yards further" nonsense.

So "guess" and "imagine" away about what is the best way to prepare for your first Masters but we'll see how he gets on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Attacked the post people. Will not be saying it again.

• Advertisement

My we are touchy.

What information? That the Augusta greens are tricky? Not exactly a secret.
    As it happens I do have personal experience, having played it twice but that is less relevant than the almost eighty years of evidence.

Do you even play golf? Because if you did, you would be unlikely to say anything as ridiculous as your "30 yards further" nonsense.

So "guess" and "imagine" away about what is the best way to prepare for your first Masters but we'll see how he gets on.

Lucky guy, did you take any pictures?? Would love to see them.

I only play occasionally with my mates for the laugh.

Advertisement