Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not sure where all the Rory hype in the build up to this was coming from. On sky they were nearly giving it to him. Only for the fact he hasn't really shown any form to justify this.

Anyway. Bar a total collapse it will be very difficult to see past Spieth here. And so far - not only in this tournament - he doesn't look like the collapsing type.

Happy for Woods. He won't be near winning this I suspect but he must be pleased with a pretty solid showing. I'd say he was nervous enough.

Also some serious clownery in this thread. Strangely enough even from the odd regular. Beer goggles?
    Hes won the last two majors, there was obviously going to be a lot of hype around him. I wouldn't be handing anything to Speith yet, no major is sewn up after 36 holes, the chasing pack is full of big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wee bit early to be crowning Speith yet...

Anyone remember Greg Norman going into his final round leading by 6 and ended up losing by 5?

It's a strange game at times and who knows what the next 36 holes will bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

AdamD wrote: »
    Hes won the last two majors, there was obviously going to be a lot of hype around him. I wouldn't be handing anything to Speith yet, no major is sewn up after 36 holes, the chasing pack is full of big names.

There is always hype around Rory and Tiger - it makes for good TV, or so the TV channels seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not sure where all the Rory hype in the build up to this was coming from. On sky they were nearly giving it to him. Only for the fact he hasn't really shown any form to justify this.

His results this season have been

2nd
    1st
    MC
    9th
    11th

not shabby

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

mfceiling wrote: »
    Anyone remember Greg Norman going into his final round leading by 6 and ended up losing by 5?

...and let's not forget the 1999 Open with van de Velde 5 shots ahead going into the last round and 3 shots ahead going into the last hole. Was eventually won that year by Paul Lawrie, who was 10 shots off the pace on Sunday morning. Can be a cruel game at times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

And also Scott's final day demise at The Open in 2012... think he was 4/5 shots clear going into the final day. There are some strong names ready to pounce on Spieth if he does falter so hopefully we will be in for an exciting weekend rather than him having shots in hand on the back 9 come Sunday evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think 18 under will win it or be there or thereabouts, folks have to be thinking 65/65/66 both days if they want to catch Spieth and win, simple as...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Ideally speith to come back to the field (at least a smaller come Sunday) and to eventually win it by a shot or two..

He seems like a decent kid and I d hate to see him lose back to back masters.

Just wished I had backed him!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bobby Jones

There is a long way to go...Speith has done well but it's only half-time. I still fancy DJ to do it. 7 under for the Par 5s yesterday...incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't think its over yet but gap has to be closed today or Speith has to be below par with either been a possibility as can't see Speith having 4 great days.

Not over yet but today really will have to be moving day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Can I just say that it's I before E except after C? ;)

spIEth

As in "I spieth with my little eye..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

HighLine wrote: »
    And also Scott's final day demise at The Open in 2012... think he was 4/5 shots clear going into the final day. There are some strong names ready to pounce on Spieth if he does falter so hopefully we will be in for an exciting weekend rather than him having shots in hand on the back 9 come Sunday evening.

Fully agree that it's not over yet but Spieth is in an incredibly strong position.
    If they firm up the greens it'll make it harder to chase him. Plus I think he's the strongest putter in the field so he won't be disadvantaged as much as the others.

If he can add another 2-3 shots over the next 2 days, it will take an 2 incredible rounds from someone. And that someone will have to come from a small group. DJ & Phil would be the only two that I can see doing something special like that. And firm greens won't really play into their hands imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Interesting pairing with woods and garcia. No love will be lost there I'd say. Unless Tiger gives him a big hug.

Interesting pairing with woods and garcia. No love will be lost there I'd say. Unless Tiger gives him a big hug.

It'll be finger licking good to watch the two of them.

PARlance wrote: »
    Fully agree that it's not over yet but Spieth is in an incredibly strong position.
    If they firm up the greens it'll make it harder to chase him. Plus I think he's the strongest putter in the field so he won't be disadvantaged as much as the others.

If he can add another 2-3 shots over the next 2 days, it will take an 2 incredible rounds from someone. And that someone will have to come from a small group. DJ & Phil would be the only two that I can see doing something special like that. And firm greens won't really play into their hands imo.

I was trying to work out why Tiger was trying to lobby the powers that be into firming the greens up... as you say, surely that will make it harder for them to catch Jordan up? Perhaps Tiger thinks Jordan won't fare as well on quicker greens?

Just to say, I'm a big fan of Spieth and the display of golf he has put on this week has been exceptional. I would love to see him win it... I would just prefer a tight fight come Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I was trying to work out why Tiger was trying to lobby the powers that be into firming the greens up... as you say, surely that will make it harder for them to catch Jordan up? Perhaps Tiger thinks Jordan won't fare as well on quicker greens?

Just to say, I'm a big fan of Spieth and the display of golf he has put on this week has been exceptional. I would love to see him win it... I would just prefer a tight fight come Sunday evening.

Because the greens in Augusta can be so fast that the ball don't stop on them as easily if they were soft and putts are super fast so players like woods and mickleson will have more experience of them and know where to land the ball ect.

Was trying to reason that myself... Tiger being the competitor that he is prob just wants to finish as high as possible. It gives him the advantage over the chasing pack. If they remain soft, he prob doesn't gain a whole pile.

Perhaps with firmer greens and tough pins today will indeed be "moving day"... albeit backwards...

https://twitter.com/Graeme_McDowell/status/586874487196516352

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

What time is it on the red button today please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Spieth could easily shoot 75,75. Charley Hoffman could then win with level par over the last 36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

rrpc wrote: »
    Can I just say that it's I before E except after C? ;)

Thats WEIRD!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Is it true that live coverage will actually begin at 19.00 today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Morgan Hoffmann is after achieving an amazing Eagle at hole 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

anyone know what time red button feature groups start at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Why don't they start showing the live rounds until 7pm ? :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

shaunac93 wrote: »
    anyone know what time red button feature groups start at?

Half 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

are the 2 hoffmen related?

Advertisement