Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »
    It was in the Irish Times and it struck me as a particularly idiotic point.

Why idiotic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Lucky guy, did you take any pictures?? Would love to see them.

I only play occasionally with my mates for the laugh.

I took pictures but they are not for sharing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

I fancy lowery's chances in the masters .... I'm not sure if loads of practice and rounds on the course will be the key to winning the masters ..... Whoever is in the hunt and doesn't st1t themselves come the back 9 on Sunday wins ...the player that can keep cool head and play their normal game should win... I think lowery is capable of pulling it off if he gets the chance. My few bucks will be on him and a few pence on Harry !

Rikand wrote: »
    Why idiotic ?

Why should knowing the course and playing well be mutually exclusive? Would chipping and putting well on those tricky greens not be even more important if recovering from a slice or other bad shot? Would practicing his putting and chipping make him more likely to slice it off the tee or fairway?

Augusta also requires draws and has some severely sloping landing areas. What would be wrong with practicing those shots in the place you are going to have to play them?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I took pictures but they are not for sharing here.

Pity, im sure everyone would love to see a boardsies pictures from their games at Augusta.
    Hopefully everyone dosnt think you were talking poop and understand you just don't want anyone to see pictures of your game at Augusta. I believe you anyway, but i only play the odd game so they'd be wasted on me.

Anyway back on topic, i think DJ will be very close, looks a new man.

• Advertisement

Pity, im sure everyone would love to see a boardsies pictures from their games at Augusta.
    Hopefully everyone dosnt think you were talking poop and understand you just don't want anyone to see pictures of your game at Augusta. I believe you anyway, but i only play the odd game so they'd be wasted on me.

Anyway back on topic, i think DJ will be very close, looks a new man.

Couldn't care less if they do. I described my Augusta experience on another thread some time ago.

Why should knowing the course and playing well be mutually exclusive? Would chipping and putting well on those tricky greens not be even more important if recovering from a slice or other bad shot? Would practicing his putting and chipping make him more likely to slice it off the tee or fairway?

Augusta also requires draws and has some severely sloping landing areas. What would be wrong with practicing those shots in the place you are going to have to play them?

Hes said hes getting there on the Sunday, id imagine Mon-Wed is ample time for him to practice and get to know the place, as he also said hes delighted PH is playing so he can pick his brains.

Couldn't care less if they do. I described my Augusta experience on another thread some time ago.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There's normally a tips thread floating around. Has it started up yet?

Hes said hes getting there on the Sunday, id imagine Mon-Wed is ample time for him to practice and get to know the place, as he also said hes delighted PH is playing so he can pick his brains.

If you imagine that to be the case, who am I to disagree? There are players who have been trying to figure out some of those greens for twenty odd years but they presumably don't learn as fast as our Shane.

Augusta is not that demanding off the tee, unless you are trying to play it like the pros. For the average mid handicapper the fairways are generous and there is no rough. Take your handicap shots where you have them and you will probably do alright.

All the trouble is on or around the greens and that is the course's main defence. I attended a practice day there a few years ago and the interesting stuff was watching guys experiment with hitting different clubs to different pin positions and figuring out where they wanted their drives to land, depending on where the pins would be on different days. It was serious, painstaking work and a couple of days (with or without pickings from PH's brain) would be just scratching the surface.

• Advertisement

Link?

I think it was a thread about everyone's favourite course to play.

I think it was a thread about everyone's favourite course to play.

Cool, would love to read your account of the place, heading over next year to the Masters so intrigued as to what joe public make of it.

If you imagine that to be the case, who am I to disagree? There are players who have been trying to figure out some of those greens for twenty odd years but they presumably don't learn as fast as our Shane.

Augusta is not that demanding off the tee, unless you are trying to play it like the pros. For the average mid handicapper the fairways are generous and there is no rough. Take your handicap shots where you have them and you will probably do alright.

All the trouble is on or around the greens and that is the course's main defence. I attended a practice day there a few years ago and the interesting stuff was watching guys experiment with hitting different clubs to different pin positions and figuring out where they wanted their drives to land, depending on where the pins would be on different days. It was serious, painstaking work and a couple of days (with or without pickings from PH's brain) would be just scratching the surface.

Lot of detail there for guys trying to get used to it, makes Jordan Speith leading with 9 to go last year on his debut all the more impressive i suppose!

Cool, would love to read your account of the place, heading over next year to the Masters so intrigued as to what joe public make of it.

You will enjoy it. Great atmosphere and not too many spectators. None of the beer swilling and yelling ("In the hole", "Go Tiger") crap you get at most US tournaments. Prices for stuff also very reasonable.

Main downsides are the course is brutally hilly and the city of Augusta is a kip.

Lot of detail there for guys trying to get used to it, makes Jordan Speith leading with 9 to go last year on his debut all the more impressive i suppose!

Maybe he was a bit more thorough about his preparation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'm sure Shane and his management team will have looked into how best to prepare him for arguably his biggest event yet.

Three days to work out slopes, landing areas, pin positions, misses, whatnot, down on top of knowledge of the course could well be plenty enough to negotiate his way into the weekend. Strikes me as a fellow who doesn't like to over-complicate stuff anyway.

I'm sure Shane and his management team will have looked into how best to prepare him for arguably his biggest event yet.

Three days to work out slopes, landing areas, pin positions, misses, whatnot, down on top of knowledge of the course could well be plenty enough to negotiate his way into the weekend. Strikes me as a fellow who doesn't like to over-complicate stuff anyway.

Three days sounds a lot but they have to keep moving on the practice rounds so they come back quite a few times.

We'll see how he does but most players would bite your hand off for more preparation time. Some fly from Europe and Asia just for practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

As did Jonas Blixt but to be fair, statistics show that generally Masters debutants don't fare as well as the above two.

Also... does playing in on the Playstation count as preparation? :D

HighLine wrote: »
    As did Jonas Blixt but to be fair, statistics show that generally Masters debutants don't fare as well as the above two.

Also... does playing in on the Playstation count as preparation? :D

Three first time winners (of which two were in the first two years of the tournament.) The most recent was Fuzzy Zoeller in 1979.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CAoztr7VEAAnsdI.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Now we know why folk are never short and right on 11, wouldn't like to catch that mound, stuff we don't see from the TV cameras...12 photo bombing too!

CAtpNQNUwAA3EfW.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RikkFlair wrote: »
    BBC still have live weekend coverage right? Wonder how long that will last...

Can anyone update us on this? Searched the BBC Sports pages but can't see anything. The past few years have involved highlights on Thu/Fri and live coverage on Sat/Sun.

Link to sources would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

coylemj wrote: »
    Can anyone update us on this? Searched the BBC Sports pages but can't see anything. The past few years have involved highlights on Thu/Fri and live coverage on Sat/Sun.

its been like that for 2 years now

coylemj wrote: »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/26934607

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Bc coverage far better not as many delays as sky one stage I saw a shot on bbc then saw it 5 minutes later on sky then of course ads every 12 mins well 10 shots meanwhile mark roe talking crap

jjll wrote: »
    Bc coverage far better not as many delays as sky one stage I saw a shot on bbc then saw it 5 minutes later on sky then of course ads every 12 mins well 10 shots meanwhile mark roe talking crap

That can happen the other way round as well. Directors are juggling dozens of pictures and the order in which you see them will vary. If you were watching CBS in the States, or in Japan, South Africa or anywhere else, you might also see certain shots at different times, depending on the Director's preference, ad breaks or whatever.

But I do prefer BBC because of no ads and for Peter Alliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

jjll wrote: »
    meanwhile mark roe talking crap

Roe's an awful commentator IMO. Someone should tell him that saying 'really' lots of times (as in 'that is a really really really good shot') does not equal good analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

loadwire wrote: »
    Roe's an awful commentator IMO. Someone should tell him that saying 'really' lots of times (as in 'that is a really really really good shot') does not equal good analysis.

I quite like him. But I would prefer the BBC to Sky all day long.....the ad breaks on Sky do my head in at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

People say first-timers seldom win at Augusta. My thinking is that some players have dominated there and that it is the type of player that counts, not their experience.
    78 tournaments, 47 won by repeat winners, 31 won by once only winners. The repeaters are a mix of exceptional drivers, robot-like players, and exceptional putters.
    Arnold Palmer (4), Ben Crenshaw (2), Ben Hogan (2), Bernhard Langer (2), Bubba Watson (2), Byron Nelson (2), Gary Player (3), Horton Smith (2), Jack Nicklaus (6), Jimmy Demaret (3), José María Olazábal (2), Nick Faldo (3), Phil Mickelson (3), Sam Snead (3), Seve Ballesteros (2), Tiger Woods (4), Tom Watson (2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Who would have pick Bubba say 3 years ago.

Since 2000 - you also have 7 players who won - and hardly featured again .

So - 1/2 the years since 2000 - there was no domination.

So , 1/2 is 50 % - tossing a coin is 50 % .

Advertisement