Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age to get Puppy groomed?

• 18-02-2015 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a 3 month old JRT x Bichon, just wondering at what age I should first bring him to be groomed/clipped I obviously keep him well brushed and that myself but he will need to be clipped etc at some stage and was wondering would it be better to bring him even just to get washed and brushed so he gets used to the idea? Or will I just leave it until he needs to be clipped, he's a fairly confident, social puppy so I dont think I need to worry about him being too nervous, but he doesn't like being kept still for too long to do things like brushing his coat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would strongly suggest you start the washing & grooming now to get him used to it. My puppies are used to having nails clipped & placed on grooming tables before they even leave for their new homes. It makes for a much less stressful experience both for the dog & the groomer.

You can start yourself by washing him if he is dirty & keep getting him used to grooming by rewarding him with his favourite toy or treat afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

As soon as possible. While his coat mightn't need an actual groom yet, now is the time to get him comfortable with being handled around the sensitive areas. Get him used to having his face/ears/paws/tail touched and held, hold one of these areas for 1 second then give a treat (a tiny treat mind you, like a fingernail sized piece of ham) for good, calm behaviour. Do this around his body so when he gets touched in these areas he isn't panicking or fidgeting. Build up the duration that you are holding these areas for, when he is reliably still while you are holding his paw for example for 1 second, bring it up to 2 seconds and so on.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

well I have had given him a couple of baths already he's not that keen but he's ok with them so just keeping them very quick and unstressed at the mo. and he doesn't mind being brushed as such its just all he wants to do is play with/chew the brush as opposed to letting me use it on him! He would sell his soul for treats though so might try keeping a few close by the next time.

Advertisement