Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterfords Best Deli

Options
  • 18-02-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Not in Ireland at the moment and am hanging for some nice Deli food, so where's your favourite Deli? Centra by the Folly on the way out to Johns park is tops for me nice selection. Cleaboy is alright since being done up, so come on, where's your gems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Not in Ireland at the moment and am hanging for some nice Deli food, so where's your favourite Deli? Centra by the Folly on the way out to Johns park is tops for me nice selection. Cleaboy is alright since being done up, so come on, where's your gems?

Without a shadow of a doubt I think it is is Ardkeen Stores. The selection out there is unbelievable and everything for lunch is top notch. Probably not the cheapest deli going but I make my peace with that. On a Monday and Thursday they have a joint of meat with gravy, relish and stuffing in a boule. It is the nicest thing going. They have a new counter now where they cook meat fresh for your roll too. I know I sound like a shill (I'm not affiliated in any way) but I've never eaten in a deli as nice as it anywhere in Ireland. One negative though, poor breakfast rolls!

I worked for 7 years on the Dunmore and ate there every day. Didn't realise how spoilt I was until I left for a new job and have resorted to bringing my own lunch every day because of the poor selection near me now.

For a top notch breakfast roll I'd recommend RedBridge service station out in Newrath (probably can't be classed as a Waterford Deli but close enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Often go to the TOP station out by Whitfield when feeling peckish. Great selection of hot & cold food.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

crazyman wrote: »
    Often go to the TOP station out by Whitfield when feeling peckish. Great selection of hot & cold food.

Would always get fuel and a few dirty sausage rolls here whenever I went to cork. Another is the Centra up the top of tramore, not far from the schools, always nice food there.

The shop at the roundabout on the way to Tramore pier used to have a good deli back in the boom but went downhill when all the site workers died off. Barely a cooked sausie last time I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

I'm a big fan of Ardkeen Stores also. Actually was recently travelling to Cork at stopped at the Village Greengrocers in Castlemartyr. Its similar to Ardkeen in that it stock artisan type food and well worth a visit if you are passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

Amber garage out by Lisduggan. Quality food, generous portions and fillings, and reasonably priced too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I hate garage deli food, nothing wrong with it in itself just it's all the same sangers, fries , wedges pies etc.
    Rarely if ever you see someone doing something original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Maybe not the best, but good memories, is the late late shop (now the centra on the quay) it was always open really early in the morning, perfect to pick up a breakfast roll before a drive to Dublin

Shams wrote: »
    Maybe not the best, but good memories, is the late late shop (now the centra on the quay) it was always open really early in the morning, perfect to pick up a breakfast roll before a drive to Dublin

Wow that is a blast from the past. Closed over ten years ago!

It actually isn't the Centra on the quay now. Centra on the quay used to be Treacy's.

The Late Late shop is now an Asian food place (I don't know the name of it though!)

Used to work in Treacy's and then Centra but used always sneak down to the deli in the Late Late shop when it was open as the food was a lot better than the deli in Treacy's!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Waterford's best deli was Delicatos.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Waterford's best deli was Delicatos.

Do you mean the chipper in Ferrybank, Delicatas (or Gentiles as it's now called)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Maxol garage on the cork road has a very god deli counter, has a sit down cafe area in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Spar on barracks st is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ah Deli's in Waterford something i actually know about as i would eat from one at least once a week somewhere in town.

I agree with welboytoo that all the garages are more or less the same and offer nothing new but out of all them Maxol Cork road is the best you can even get a roast dinner,they do a very nice chicken fillet roll with a can of coke or bottle of water for €4 ,Amber is also very nice and a good selection,Spar Barrack street has gone downhill a lot in recent months in both the deli and service,Centra on the Quay is great too they have 3 different types of chicken,plain,spicy,and southern fried unlike the rest that only have plain and spicy.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Superquinn yet because they would get my vote for the best deli in Waterford a bit more expensive than the rest but worth it the rolls are fantastic,i forgot about Ardkeen stores deli its about 10 years since i was in there ill try it this weekend and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've set myself a task to get sausage rolls in every deli in Waterford (sad but what a wonderful challenge), the current winner is Viking, formerly Subway, across from the Credit Union on Parnell Street.

In terms of rolls and that, the Park Station was always the nicest for me and cheap enough. Pity it closed down but it seems to be opening back up again, so not sure if the deli will return or not.

Centra Manor Street, Maxol Cork Road and Spar on Barrack Street are all lovely too tho.

Alices on park rd (near to dooleys chipper) for the blaas stuffed with meanies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Ardkeen Stores and the Maxol, Dunmore Road are the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Blaas stuffed with meanies eh? Ill have to try that when im home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    The chipper restaurant in Johnstown with the video game arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

The Fresh Food Hall on Michael St across from Greers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

meanies?

• Advertisement

http://www.inotices.ie/in/death-notice/margaret-pegmurphy315584236

a dark coincedence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I do like Maxol to be honest. It offers a very wide range of hot food products to customers and they have a great unique menu to order food from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What is it about deli staff and rudeness/bitterness? Are they so bitter that they have wasted half their lives making sandwiches for minimum wage that they take it out on the customer? Its not their fault ffs! Get out there and upskill if you hate the job that much. Bar Centra on the Cork Road, I have to say almost every deli in Waterford features some sour wan in her 40s or 50s who barks at you to pass the roll, throws your food at you and has the manners of a pig. The worst for such staff is definitely Spar Barrack Street, followed by the Londis Cleaboy.....Maxol I tried this morning and it gets a thumbs up!

What is it about deli staff and rudeness/bitterness? Are they so bitter that they have wasted half their lives making sandwiches for minimum wage that they take it out on the customer? Its not their fault ffs! Get out there and upskill if you hate the job that much. Bar Centra on the Cork Road, I have to say almost every deli in Waterford features some sour wan in her 40s or 50s who barks at you to pass the roll, throws your food at you and has the manners of a pig. The worst for such staff is definitely Spar Barrack Street, followed by the Londis Cleaboy.....Maxol I tried this morning and it gets a thumbs up!

I mentioned it earlier and i agree with you about Spar the service is terrible i got a roll from there during the week at around 1pm and all they had was chicken fillets,sausages,and wedges thats it for lunchtime,but in general i find most of the staff in delis around the town are nice enough and just get on with their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I'm quite a fan of the Superquinn/Supervalu deli, bit more pricey than other places but their chicken fillet rolls are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

harsh but not without a modicum of truth,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone know of a deli that has gluten free bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Deli in Centra at Johns park is normally very good at lunchtime. You may want to plan it at the right time, as between 12.30-1.30 its swarmed with kids from the Ursuline. plenty of options and sandwich fillings too.

Spar Barrack Street has had a big refit over the past few weeks - with an off licence going in - and looks pretty good. But I don't see much changes with the deli. Still amazes me that they have things like goujons in those bags lying there under the heat light at around 12midday. Should be at least freshly cooked from behind the counter, where you can actually see the food, before you ask the assistant for help. I dread to think how long some of those goujons and hash browns are there for after been cooked.

deisemum wrote: »
    Anyone know of a deli that has gluten free bread?

I dont know of any delis but there is a cake shop on barracks street just down from the post office and i've seen them advertise gluten free cakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Billys in Lisduggan shopping centre fed me every day for a long time, can't really vouch for it now but It was bloody superb a couple of years ago.

Advertisement