Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a tree that buds in February?

• 18-02-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Looking for a garden tree that will bud or flower in mid February?
    I realise that its weather dependant.

Looking for something for a medium sized garden that might show life in mid February (gift for a newborn born in February).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The BUDweiser tree...ha ha...

How about cherry blossom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If your soil and location is suitable a camellia might be nice. Evergreen and with lots of flower colours to choose from. There are several varieties that flower in February but its essential that the soil is acidic or the plant will never thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Prunus autumnalis 'subhirtella' flowers mostly in February but my one put out flowers in 3 different Seasons last year - not full-bloom but patches here and there.
    As said above, a Camellia is a good option and can be made to look like a tree after a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Doesn't magnolia send out flowers earlier than leaves, very early in the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My old man has two Camellias in glorious bloom at the moment, really nice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Have a walk around your local garden centre and see what deciduous trees have already started to grow their foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

hazelnut is in full flower at the moment and looks great. Some of the cultivated varieties (cobnuts) will produce a lot of nuts. www. fruitandnuts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Willow catkins are out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

willow is not quite out yet here, meath, its the hazel thats out. willow is normally march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Magnolia should start flowering in early march, depending on weather conditions probably later. Late frosts ususally have a negative impact and bring the wonderful blossoms to the ground.

Hamamelis is something save for february or sometimes even january. I'm looking at one right now and it's flowering for like 3 weeks so far. Lonicera purpusii 'Winter Beauty' starts flowering in late december and keeps the blossoms during winter. Corylopsis pauciflora is also something for late february or early march, but it's growth is very compact and stops with maybe 150 cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

What about Witch Hazel? It should be in flower in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Prunus autumnalis 'subhirtella' flowers mostly in February but my one put out flowers in 3 different Seasons last year - not full-bloom but patches here and there.

As the plant name points out it starts flowering in autumn and continues through winter, so it would be a nice choice.

Btw it's not uncommon that some plants flower multiple times a year. Magnolia do so too. I have one Magnolia soulangiana in my garden. Starts in march, keeps the blossoms throughout the april - and regularly comes back in august. And another Magnolia I have in the park at work is the same.

Advertisement