Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to lose my job over Eircom system glitch

Options
  • 18-02-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can any one help or provide advice on this situation

On the 28th of January I signed up to move from Vodafone to Eircom for broadband and home phone my broadband switched on the 28th since then I've had 0.5 of a Meg
    Aperantly there is some bug on your system that is preventing turning up the speed of my broadband
    I work from home and have not been able to work since this date my company has been more then lenient and I have been more than patient,
    I have already raised a complaint with comreg and they are due to take over the case on Monday how ever I will have lost my job by then over a glitch on your system not my line not the exchange YOUR system this is simply not good enough no one is taking owner ship of my case I'm being promised call backs every day no one ever calls back every time I phone I've to explain myself again and again
    I have phoned and phoned since the 28th of January and I'm getting fobbed off on every call
    This has gone beyond it at this stage so before it's too late and I lose my job can this issue be sorted out please I am exhausted from it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

crixos30 wrote: »
    Can any one help or provide advice on this situation

On the 28th of January I signed up to move from Vodafone to Eircom for broadband and home phone my broadband switched on the 28th since then I've had 0.5 of a Meg
    Aperantly there is some bug on your system that is preventing turning up the speed of my broadband
    I work from home and have not been able to work since this date my company has been more then lenient and I have been more than patient,
    I have already raised a complaint with comreg and they are due to take over the case on Monday how ever I will have lost my job by then over a glitch on your system not my line not the exchange YOUR system this is simply not good enough no one is taking owner ship of my case I'm being promised call backs every day no one ever calls back every time I phone I've to explain myself again and again
    I have phoned and phoned since the 28th of January and I'm getting fobbed off on every call
    This has gone beyond it at this stage so before it's too late and I lose my job can this issue be sorted out please I am exhausted from it
    Hi crixos30
    Can you PM me your line number and we can have a look at this.
    I have never heard of a bug in the system that "prevents turning up the speed of any broadband account" and will certainly report this also. I suspect that there is another reason for this and will do my best to get resolved.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Hi crixos30
    Can you PM me your line number and we can have a look at this.
    I have never heard of a bug in the system that "prevents turning up the speed of any broadband account" and will certainly report this also. I suspect that there is another reason for this and will do my best to get resolved.
    Tony

Thank you tony pm has been sent

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Hi Crixos30,
    I am also in the same position as yourself well with regards the speed profile issue anyway.
    I signed back up with Eircom on the 2nd feb and to date am only getting 1mb on the upto 24mb package or as tech support call it the rural broadband. I have also received there is a software issue that wont allow the speed profile to be changed any higher and it is currently being worked on. I made the move back from Sky as Eircom had the line capped at 7mb even though line is capable of 16mb Would gladly take the 7mb now :(

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Hi Crixos30,
    I am also in the same position as yourself well with regards the speed profile issue anyway.
    I signed back up with Eircom on the 2nd feb and to date am only getting 1mb on the upto 24mb package or as tech support call it the rural broadband. I have also received there is a software issue that wont allow the speed profile to be changed any higher and it is currently being worked on. I made the move back from Sky as Eircom had the line capped at 7mb even though line is capable of 16mb Would gladly take the 7mb now :(

It's awful and I'm tired of phoning im getting p45 Friday evening if it's not resolved by then and I wouldn't blame the company for doing so but when I tell them on the phone this no one cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Are there any fixed wireless access providers in your area? They connect you using a small antenna on your roof using a radio link rather than a phone line.

Speeds are typically as good as decent ADSL2+

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Are there any fixed wireless access providers in your area? They connect you using a small antenna on your roof using a radio link rather than a phone line.

There is but the company I work for will only work through fixed line DSL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    Dependant on coverage, might a 3G/4G mobile dongle tied you over for a few days?

What was your line speed before you left Vodafone?

Hi yes I've looked in to that also and for security and vpn connections we are not permitted to use wireless for work, disaster really I was getting 14 meg down 0.88 up from Vodafone and I'm getting 0.13 meg down and 0.05 mb up for Eircom

I need a minimum of 2meg down and 0.50 meg up to keep a vpn open 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Sorry to hear your job is at stake. My experience of Eircom is that the phrase 'up to' covers them for any speed. They are, in my opinion, to be avoided. Hope you get a resolution.

• Advertisement

Hi no didn't change any thing same router same socket I know the vpns and remote sessions will work over any type of Internet its just company policy that's all to be honest at this stage id be happy with just the 2 meg I need to get back to work asap I'm down 3 weeks wages as is and I doubt Eircom are going to feed my wife and kids if I lose my job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi yes I've looked in to that also and for security and vpn connections we are not permitted to use wireless for work, disaster really I was getting 14 meg down 0.88 up from Vodafone and I'm getting 0.13 meg down and 0.05 mb up for Eircom

I need a minimum of 2meg down and 0.50 meg up to keep a vpn open ��
    Sorry to read about this situation Crixos30 and hope you can get it sorted ASAP.

I cannot understand whatsoever why your company will only permit you to work on a DSL line however. I have worked from home previously using a Fixed Wireless connection - absolutely no issues whatsoever security wise. So long as you have Firewall turned on your machine, a good antivirus software and the added security of a VPN connection then any connection should work for you so long as you have a good connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Know anyone on the road working for KN or Eircom? They probably have more chance of rectifying this quickly than here 

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Phone companies are a nightmare to deal with. It's a real drawback of dealing with call centres, there just no accountability.

I'm sure you could take eircom to court if you lose your job?

I'm not being smart but why didn't you just change to another company once your job was on the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I cannot understand whatsoever why your company will only permit you to work on a DSL line however. I have worked from home previously using a Fixed Wireless connection - absolutely no issues whatsoever security wise. So long as you have Firewall turned on your machine, a good antivirus software and the added security of a VPN connection then any connection should work for you so long as you have a good connection.
    Plenty of places like the HSE do not allow VPN over wireless, not even home WiFi, insist on a fixed connection and ethernet only. Of course they'd have no way of knowing but you would be breaking some terms of your employment

Plenty of places like the HSE do not allow VPN over wireless, not even home WiFi, insist on a fixed connection and ethernet only. Of course they'd have no way of knowing but you would be breaking some terms of your employment
    Oh Boy!!! :eek:

mada82 wrote: »
    Phone companies are a nightmare to deal with. It's a real drawback of dealing with call centres, there just no accountability.

I'm not being smart but why didn't you just change to another company once your job was on the line?

Would you believe I tried to go back to Vodafone but as it's the same line I was advised by both to stay with eircom what shocked me most was when I told eircom I want out of the contract the girl on the phone said I would be charged for breaking the contract ..I hit the roof she had a seriouse neck to even mention it,any way a manager has called me back tonight for once and has said that he is waiting on the go ahead to get this manually turned up tomorrow I hope he's not spoofing me at this stage,with work not allowing work Over wireless it's really up to them this rule has been in place for years I guess they have their reasons,I really hope this will be sorted tomorrow or I could be on the dole queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Hopefully you get sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

mada82 wrote: »

Would you believe I tried to go back to Vodafone but as it's the same line I was advised by both to stay with eircom what shocked me most was when I told eircom I want out of the contract the girl on the phone said I would be charged for breaking the contract ..I hit the roof she had a seriouse neck to even mention it,any way a manager has called me back tonight for once and has said that he is waiting on the go ahead to get this manually turned up tomorrow I hope he's not spoofing me at this stage,with work not allowing work Over wireless it's really up to them this rule has been in place for years I guess they have their reasons,I really hope this will be sorted tomorrow or I could be on the dole queue.
    Yes be careful of this - in Eircom's smallprint they will hit you with a €100+ charge on this (I think it was €130 when I encountered it), and then send debt collectors after you if you don't pay up - even when it takes no effort on their part at all, to connect you.

ComReg are utterly useless, and telecom companies are allowed to get away with pretty much whatever they like when it comes to things like this, as they have all figured out that there are certain things that regulators are completely incapable of doing anything about - and things like this seem to remain unchanged, for decades.

There's really no difference. If you're in a rural area that's far from the exchange fixed line DSL may not be possible.

Insisting on fixed line DSL is unreasonable of your employer.

FWA is equivalent and is *not* to be confused with mobile broadband.

• Advertisement

There's really no difference. If you're in a rural area that's far from the exchange fixed line DSL may not be possible.

Insisting on fixed line DSL is unreasonable of your employer.

FWA is equivalent and is *not* to be confused with mobile broadband.
    Exactly.

That's extremely unreasonable as in a rural area your fixed line DSL quite probably runs over a wireless microwave link anyway from the exchange to the network and there are absolutely no guarantees of privacy on the internet unless you're encrypting your connection anyway. It's the public internet!!

Although the HSE wouldn't understand technology if it bit them! So that doesn't surprise me in the least.

That policy sounds like it was made up by a HR department that has absolutely no clue about technology.

A fixed line internet connection isn't like an ISDN connection dialling into a server. You're going over the public internet. That's why we encrypt everything! Even connections to webmail get encrypted.

If your organisation is relying on the fact that DSL is magically secure and not using VPNs I'd have very serious concerns about their ability to protect data.

All that matters in reality is that you've a stable, high speed connection to "the public internet".

If they're refusing to use FWA (especially a public body) that's basically totally undermining rural telecommuting and government policy without any technological logic.

I would get onto your local TD about why they're doing that.

That's extremely unreasonable as in a rural area your fixed line DSL quite probably runs over a wireless microwave link anyway from the exchange to the network and there are absolutely no guarantees of privacy on the internet unless you're encrypting your connection anyway. It's the internet!!

Although the HSE wouldn't understand technology if it bit them! So that doesn't surprise me in the least.
    That's how my exchange is connected - Wireless microwave link to Galway. 

Hi no didn't change any thing same router same socket I know the vpns and remote sessions will work over any type of Internet its just company policy that's all to be honest at this stage id be happy with just the 2 meg I need to get back to work asap I'm down 3 weeks wages as is and I doubt Eircom are going to feed my wife and kids if I lose my job
    Hi crixos30
    I hope to be back later today with update on this.
    Tony

Hi crixos30
    Tony

Thank you tony it's much appreciated

Hi crixos30
    Tony

Just PM'd you now also.
    Tony

Hi crixos30
    Tony

crixos30, I have just sent an update PM. Can you let me know if any improvement there now?
    Tony

Well OP - do you still have a job?

• Advertisement

Well OP - do you still have a job?

Hey after countless calls and comreg being absolutely useless I'm back in action thanks to the guys here on boards,never phoning the call centre again,4 weeks with no internet was a bit much

Advertisement