Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway-based tech start-up introduces Facebook-shareable QR Codes to the web

Options
  • 18-02-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Our Galway-based tech start-up has just introduced Facebook-shareable QR Codes to the web and has a pre-launch free trial on the website (Top result if you Google 'codacast' - can't post the URL yet - new user). Code scans can be tracked online. The codes can also be branded with a company logo or image...

As a start-up we would very much appreciate any feedback boards.ie members would like to offer on the design/UX of the site - we are willing to 'tweak' (and give credit where it's due) if suggestions/observations result in a code change ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For starters, there's no proper contact info (vital for trust) just an easily missed link to a minimal form and every other link goes to a sign-up form. This sign up form doesn't work giving 'Unfortunately an error has occurred :-(
    The Codacast technical team has been informed and will review it ASAP '. There also appears to no https in play for any of the forms which is a big no no security-wise.

You have to give your prospects much more information to persuade them it is worth signing up for: demos/walkthroughs/how it works, real world stories, how it adds value/what can it do for my business. This is basic UX putting yourself in your user scenarios shoes and working from those scenarios.

You are also missing things like a Privacy Policy which is pretty much mandatory if you are taking in the info and terms and conditions for the trial.

The under the bonnet code isn't great too with a lot of junk and there seems to be zero SEO work done.

In short you have a lot more work to do before you can bring this to market properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Codacast

Thanks for feedback tricky D. Agree with you on some points (clearer contact info, more background - although you may not have read the columns on the home page indicating the value to a business).

The signup form DOES work - possibly you tried to register while we were scripting the DB a few minutes ago i.e. temporary lock out :-) We have the privacy policy in place - just no link to it yet <codacast URL>/privacy.aspx. As far as under the bonnet is concerned can you point to the junk you are referring to - not sure what you mean by 'junk'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fairly straightforward, clean design. Not much to take offence with but not overly inviting either.

You could do with more explanation about what it is, what it's for. Some use cases/samples and/or an explainer video. I would guess most people will look at your site and not have a clue what you are offering. You need to make it easy for them, especially for people that aren't overly familiar with QR codes.

Therein lies your biggest challenge, the choice of QR codes is fairly brave given they've largely been a massive flop. I could count on the fingers of my left hand the number of times I've seen someone interacting with a QR code. Even worse, each of those times it was me testing them.

I'm also not sure if you're suggesting people share QR codes via Facebook or on printed media. If you're sharing them on Facebook, why?

P.S. Your bootstrap.min isn't minified

Those columns provide no where near the info required. They also link to the form when users expect that to link to some more content due to the absence of the appropriate and relevant call to action.

The form still does not work with the same error.

The code is poorly written with numerous basic errors and head-scratching usage of stuff like a zero pixel hidden iframe, non-use of html5, whole page as a form to name a few.

The no https security needs addressing immediately and before you start taking user info.

Linking the PP and uploading should only half the time it takes for me to write this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What do the QR codes do?

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time Graham,

As far as QR Codes being a flop in the past - you are right - 2 principle reasons why - 1. Having to download an app to scan and 2. Every code looking the same i.e. black 'n' white. However, as you will no doubt discover in the near future, they are making a come back - total ubiquity in China / Japan - and as you are probably aware China (and Japan) lead the curve for mobile tech.

The Codacast Facebook-shareable USP is as follows: the person scanning the code is prompted to share the code on Facebook - effectively advertising the web link (embedded in the code) to all their Facebook friends. Whether they choose to share or cancel the share dialog they are redirected to the original URL in the code anyway. So a single scan is potentially an advertisement to all of the scanner's Facebook friends :-)

Re minification of bootstrap - thanks - good spot ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Graham wrote: »

You could do with more explanation about what it is, what it's for. Some use cases/samples and/or an explainer video. I would guess most people will look at your site and not have a clue what you are offering. You need to make it easy for them, especially for people that aren't overly familiar with QR codes.

Agree 100%

What do the QR codes do?

Redirect the person scanning them (using QR Code Reader app on their phone / tablet) to a website or web link Eugene...

tricky D wrote: »
    Those columns provide no where near the info required. They also link to the form when users expect that to link to some more content due to the absence of the appropriate and relevant call to action.

The form still does not work with the same error.

The code is poorly written with numerous basic errors and head-scratching usage of stuff like a zero pixel hidden iframe, non-use of html5, whole page as a form to name a few.

The no https security needs addressing immediately and before you start taking user info.

Linking the PP and uploading should only half the time it takes for me to write this post.

Thanks for your comments Tricky D - your tone, in a similar manner to our website perhaps, needs work :-P

Codacast wrote: »
    As far as QR Codes being a flop in the past - you are right - 2 principle reasons why - 1. Having to download an app to scan and 2. Every code looking the same i.e. black 'n' white. However, as you will no doubt discover in the near future, they are making a come back - total ubiquity in China / Japan - and as you are probably aware China (and Japan) lead the curve for mobile tech.

Hmm, not convinced there's going to be a big turnaround in QR codes but that's just my opinion, maybe you're right. I wouldn't assume any sort of popularity in China/Japan will automatically transfer here, there are lots of examples where it hasn't.

How do you scan QR codes without an app? Can't say I've tried it in a while.
    The Codacast Facebook-shareable USP is as follows: the person scanning the code is prompted to share the code on Facebook - effectively advertising the web link (embedded in the code) to all their Facebook friends. Whether they choose to share or cancel the share dialog they are redirected to the original URL in the code anyway. So a single scan is potentially an advertisement to all of the scanner's Facebook friends :-)

I'm not sure I'd bother posting the QR code to Facebook when a link would do the job. I'm just never, ever, ever going to take my phone out to scan a QR code from a screen in front of me. Because of this, the QR code is only going to be useful when it's attached to something printed/hanging in front of me.

• Advertisement

Hmm, not convinced there's going to be a big turnaround in QR codes but that's just my opinion, maybe you're right. I wouldn't assume any sort of popularity in China/Japan will automatically transfer here, there are lots of examples where it hasn't.

How do you scan QR codes without an app? Can't say I've tried it in a while.

I'm not sure I'd bother posting the QR code to Facebook when a link would do the job. I'm just never, ever, ever going to take my phone out to scan a QR code from a screen in front of me. Because of this, the QR code is only going to be useful when it's attached to something printed/hanging in front of me.

Correct Graham - the whole point of the QR Codes is to print them on marketing material (real world) and have people scan them - the share on Facebook isn't meant for scanning - clicking on it simply redirects to the originally-embedded link...

We ran a promotion at a 1,000 delegate MineCraft conference (mineVention) in Galway recently and engagement was almost 100% with the QR Code on the tickets distributed to all delegates as they arrived. Admittedly, our reps were on-hand to 'educate' those who hadn't scanned a QR Code previously but this will be required less and less going forward. As far as scanning is concerned you still need to (and will continue to) download a free app from your phones app store to read the codes...

Thanks for your comments Tricky D - your tone, in a similar manner to our website perhaps, needs work :-P

My tone is because I'm giving free advice which is brief and to the point - blunt if you like but apt and valuable to you nevertheless, and based on decades of experience. I'm also cooking dinner and rushing out for football. If this was a paying gig, I'd take the time to be more diplomatic, detailed and descriptive, but unfortunately that doesn't come with the free version.;)

Anyway match starting gotta go.

gl/hth

tricky D wrote: »
    My tone is because I'm giving free advice which is brief and to the point - blunt if you like but apt and valuable to you nevertheless, and based on decades of experience. I'm also cooking dinner and rushing out for football. If this was a paying gig, I'd take the time to be more diplomatic, detailed and descriptive, but unfortunately that doesn't come with the free version.;)

Anyway match starting gotta go.

gl/hth

To be fair you could be a plumber.

Are the QR codes embedded in the image?

Are the QR codes embedded in the image?

The image IS the QR Code Eugene - the 'layout' of the black and white (or in Codacast's case - coloured) squares represents the code - which is actually repeated a few times in the image to guarantee readability - that's how we are able to put a logo in the centre of the image - it doesn't obscure the code that is read...

Even if that were the case (and I'm fairly sure it isn't) would it invalidate the feedback somehow?

Even if that were the case (and I'm fairly sure it isn't) would it invalidate the feedback somehow?

All feedback is welcome lads / lassies - even from web designers / come would-be plumbers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Codacast ignore that post I made. myself a few clients tried that site and found it was no addition. Best of luck with your idea.

Not really, I like to keep my butt crack well covered:pac:

And here's a pipe -> |

There are 100's of sites where you can generate a QR Code capefear - our USP is the Facebook prompt after scanning - first on the web to provide it! We also have online analytics so you can track the performance of each code in real-time (IP address of scanning device, location, time etc) :-)

• Advertisement

Just discovered the 'thumbs up' on Boards is a 'Thank you for the post' - not a FB like - noob fail!!!

Correct Graham - the whole point of the QR Codes is to print them on marketing material (real world) and have people scan them - the share on Facebook isn't meant for scanning - clicking on it simply redirects to the originally-embedded link...

We ran a promotion at a 1,000 delegate MineCraft conference (mineVention) in Galway recently and engagement was almost 100% with the QR Code on the tickets distributed to all delegates as they arrived. Admittedly, our reps were on-hand to 'educate' those who hadn't scanned a QR Code previously but this will be required less and less going forward. As far as scanning is concerned you still need to (and will continue to) download a free app from your phones app store to read the codes...

You have such major barriers to uptake with QR code when you consider the process.

You have to educate most people what a QR code is.
    You have to generate enough interest for someone to be prepared to try the QR code.
    That person has to find an app to read QR codes and successfully download it.
    That person has to successfully scan the QR code.

After all of that fairly significant effort, the reward is they get to share a Facebook page?

I'd really strongly recommend you conduct lots more tests where you don't have staff on hand, you will find a stark difference in uptake. Find a friendly venue/business, print QR codes for them and hang posters with QR codes around the business.

If it's a public venue, sit and watch (no helping) if/when/how the public interact with your QR codes over an extended period.

That part I highlighted in blue, I did this. It wasn't pretty and ultimately it convinced me that QR codes were just not viable for anything but the most specific (heavily supported) use cases.

You have such major barriers to uptake with QR code when you consider the process.

You have to generate enough interest for someone to be prepared to try the QR code.

After all of that fairly significant effort, the reward is they get to share a Facebook page?

I'd really strongly recommend you conduct lots more tests where you don't have staff on hand, you will find a stark difference in uptake. Find a friendly venue/business, print QR codes for them and hang posters with QR codes around the business.

If it's a public venue, sit and watch (no helping) if/when/how the public interact with your QR codes over an extended period.

That part I highlighted in blue, I did this. It wasn't pretty and ultimately it convinced me that QR codes were just not viable for anything but the most specific (heavily supported) use cases.

Graham - Diageo are currently looking at Codacast with a view to printing QR Codes on beer mats for promotions in pubs - involving every 25th/50th/100th customer (that shares the pub's website on their Facebook timeline having scanned the code) gets a free pint of a Diageo product in that pub ;-) Topaz, Ryanair and MacDonalds are also reviewing the Codacast concept ;-)

Graham - Diageo are currently looking at Codacast with a view to printing QR Codes on beer mats for promotions in pubs - involving every 25th/50th/100th customer (that shares the pub's website on their Facebook timeline having scanned the code) gets a free pint of a Diageo product in that pub ;-) Topaz, Ryanair and MacDonalds are also reviewing the Codacast concept. Quite apart from the corporates - we are talking to over 20 local businesses in Galway despite not being due to launch until April :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Codacast wrote:
    Graham - Diageo are currently looking at Codacast with a view to printing QR Codes on beer mats for promotions in pubs - involving every 25th/50th/100th customer (that shares the pub's website on their Facebook timeline having scanned the code) gets a free pint of a Diageo product in that pub ;-) Topaz, Ryanair and MacDonalds are also reviewing the Codacast concept ;-)

If I was a business owner thinking about using your product I'd be going elsewhere if I saw them talking about it online before I'd agree to use it.

Graham - Diageo are currently looking at Codacast with a view to printing QR Codes on beer mats for promotions in pubs - involving every 25th/50th/100th customer (that shares the pub's website on their Facebook timeline having scanned the code) gets a free pint of a Diageo product in that pub ;-) Topaz, Ryanair and MacDonalds are also reviewing the Codacast concept. Quite apart from the corporates - we are talking to over 20 local businesses in Galway despite not being due to launch until April :-)

It's fantastic that you've got so many companies interested you're obviously doing something right. I think it's fairly safe to say now you've got a foot in the door the real work starts.

If I represented any of those organisations here's some of the things I would be asking:
    • statistics from previous campaigns or at the very least statistics from a similar proof of concept. You really need to have them ready to show.
    • How do the public interact with the QR codes. Did they know what they are?
    • Did the public have problems when they tried to use the QR codes? How could those problems be overcome?
    • Where is your QR reader app? Why would you spend all that effort pushing some random QR app when you could be pushing your own.
    • Did the venues have problems designing/configuring their campaigns? What problems, how could they be overcome?
      What's the long term gain of a scan to the advertiser, or is it a one-off Facebook share? If it's a one-off where's your revenue stream?

Running a trial in a pub should be fairly easy if you find a friendly venue. Get your own beermats/flyers printed and offer to pay the venue for the promo pints if necessary. Spend a couple of days/evenings watching and tracking. It was a pub where I did the previously mentioned trial.

It's fantastic that you've got so many companies interested you're obviously doing something right. I think it's fairly safe to say now you've got a foot in the door the real work starts.

If I represented any of those organisations here's some of the things I would be asking:
    • statistics from previous campaigns or at the very least statistics from a similar proof of concept. You really need to have them ready to show.
    • How do the public interact with the QR codes. Did they know what they are?
    • Did the public have problems when they tried to use the QR codes? How could those problems be overcome?
    • Where is your QR reader app? Why would you spend all that effort pushing some random QR app when you could be pushing your own.
    • Did the venues have problems designing/configuring their campaigns? What problems, how could they be overcome?
      What's the long term gain of a scan to the advertiser, or is it a one-off Facebook share? If it's a one-off where's your revenue stream?

Running a trial in a pub should be fairly easy if you find a friendly venue. Get your own beermats/flyers printed and offer to pay the venue for the promo pints if necessary. Spend a couple of days/evenings watching and tracking. It was a pub where I did the previously mentioned trial.

All good points Graham - many of which we have covered already. As far as configuring campaigns we write the backend software (landing pages etc) for each campaign and direct to them once the scanner has scanned the code. Each scan typically results in a Facebook share by the scanner during the promotion. In the pilot, the MineVention FB page was the target URL - 185 likes in the 4 hours of the convention - with more attributed in the days after when FB friends of the scanner saw the post. With a client's website as the target, the benefit is clear - more visits to the website - more opps to sell / advertise etc...Revenue stream for Codacast = CPS (Cost per Scan) in the same vein as CPC...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

what does it do that say

http://www.qrcode-monkey.com or many more doesn't ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    what does it do that say or many more doesn't ?

There are 100's of sites where you can generate a QR Code gctest50 - to answer your question - our USP is the Facebook prompt after scanning - first on the web to provide it! We also have online analytics so you can track the performance of each code in real-time (IP address of scanning device, location, time etc) :-)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't push the 'first on the web' side of it (in fact I wouldn't mention it) and I'd definitely consider getting your own app written. If you're going to push hard to get an app onto a users phone it might as well be your app.

Best of luck with it Codacast.

Advertisement