Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share Utility Bills - Prepay?

Options
  • 18-02-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

3 sharing house.

Landlord wants to change to prepay with Electric Ireland.

Is this more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe the standing charge is noticeable higher but the unit rates are the same, including available discounts. I'm not 100% sure on that as things may have changed since last time I armed myself with info to fight off the prepaypower door to door floggers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Is this more expensive?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Adrian4 wrote: »
    3 sharing house.

Landlord wants to change to prepay with Electric Ireland.

Is this more expensive?

Yes, it's more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, it's more expensive. But, it could save headaches down the line with if someone is moving out and money is owed to a bill. You can agree to put a certain amount each week into the meter and split it three ways. If you find it's running out too early, then you can up the amount until you find an amount that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Yes, although people swear blind they actually are paying less, presumably because they are more conscious of usage therefore conserve power more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The daily standing charge is higher but as MouseTail says people claim they save money, probably because they are more conscious of your usage.

So it comes down to higher cost per unit used but less units used overall (potentially)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The standing charge is the same as I have always paid.
    There's no 37c extra per day to pay like Prepay power.

BUT the unit rate is the 'standard rate' that nobody bar you grandmother that has never changed her supplier pays. Every body else has left and gotten a better rate and then moved back to ESB and hopefully gotten a better rate again.

Friends are having good experiences with prepay when there's a house share as they take it in turns to top up by €30, there's 4 of them. Once it gets below €10, its up to the next person to go buy credit and put it in.

My bill and usage is less than 3% more than last year.

I pay .3370 per day standing charge. (Urban)

and .1593 per unit (I dont have night saver. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi all,

We can see there’s some interest in our Pay As You Go option. We’d be happy to answer any queries you have in the Talk to Electric Ireland Forum. You can find out more information about Pay As You Go here or you can call our dedicated Pay As You Go team on 1850 30 50 95 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm.

The unit price for electricity with Electric Ireland Pay As You Go is the same as our standard unit rate. If you've a 24 hour meter, the price is 16.59 cent a unit (excluding VAT) and 18.83 cent a unit (including VAT). If you've a Night Saver meter, the price for the day rate is 17.72 cent a unit (excluding VAT) and 20.11 cent a unit (including VAT). The price for night rate is 8.76 cent a unit (excluding VAT) and 9.94 cent (including VAT). However, you can’t sign up for any of our price plans as these would require direct debit.

The standing charge will vary depending on the type of Pay As You Go meter you have and whether you're a rural or urban customer.

If you owe any money when the meter is installed, it will be applied to the meter and taken at 25% of your top ups until cleared.

Just like a bill pay customer, Pay As You Go customers are charged for their usage, standing charges, VAT and PSO levy.

Do let us know if we can help.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can also pre-pay by paying against the account, e.g. have everyone pay €x/week at the post office (or where ever). That way, the bill shouldn't be unmanageable.

Advertisement