Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got made reduntant today-what to do now

• 18-02-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Well as title suggest..myself and 40 others , some on contract..no doubt there be nothing on news about it

Not feeling too bad at moment..perhaps it hasnot dawned on me

Do i take a few days off- or drive straight into job hunting..has it happened to you

Cheer me up AH folk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You lucky bastard!
    Take some time off, enjoy it. Cheltenham is coming up.

Then get your head together and then go job hunting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Drink ten cans and have a w*nk, release the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Start looking for work immediately imo. A lot of competition out there right now for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Get shacked up with the town slut, have six kids, develop a habit for cheap lager and domestic violence, get a white vest and tattoo your arms with that hideous blue ink they use?

You know, the scrounger lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dive right in. There will be others looking for that new job too. Don't let them beat you to it.

I hope you get sorted soon .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Sorry to hear that man.

Do something you enjoy while you are searching for something else.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you get severance pay. Enjoy yourself for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Straight to the social office tomorrow. Get signed on. It'll be three days before they start paying you. You paid your prsi so claim what you are entitled to.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd recommend the Partridge meltdown

1) Shoes off

2) Load the car with Toblerone

3) Drive to Dundee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Start a political career... Need **** all skills for that, its helps to be self centred and a straight faced liar ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

If you are due a few bob, do something you've always wanted with it, how often in life do you get a bit of cash and a load of free time?

If it happened to me Id go climb a mountain somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Sign on immediately even if it's only for the credits. If you're not already on jobs.ie, monster, linkedin etc - joinup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

You lucky bastard!
    Take some time off, enjoy it. Cheltenham is coming up.

Then get your head together and then go job hunting.

Charge in on faugheen you say...sounds like a plan

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Specialun wrote: »
    Charge in on faugheen you say...sounds like a plan

:)

Bet the whole fckin lot on the number 3 horse in the Gold cup. Sure what can go wrong?

Cant sign on as offically im not finished for three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Do a job bridge as a butchers assistant.

KungPao wrote: »
    Do a job bridge as a butchers assistant.

Would ya get free sausages and blackpudding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Would ya get free sausages and blackpudding

No but if you're a slow learner you get a cool nickname like "Eight Fingers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Straight to the social office tomorrow. Get signed on. It'll be three days before they start paying you. You paid your psi so claim what you are entitled to.

Its happened to me too so I'm sorry to hear - I know what it feels like. The above is good advice - The social welfare office are never too pleased about having to make back payments so get this sorted as soon as you can. The experience of setting foot in those filthy kips of offices will spur you into getting a job fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry to hear.

Take a week then start a dvd bootlegging business, I think there's still a market for that.

Or find a horse and develop it into a prize champion.

• Advertisement

View this as an opportunity. Hopefully you will get a decent redundancy payment in the weeks ahead.
    Start putting out your resume immediately and try to get another job. If you can get a job before the redundancy runs out, delay the start date so you can do something mad with the extra cash left.
    It's not the same as in the recession, there are jobs out there. If your situation allows it, you could look for work abroad and use the redundancy to set yourself up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

eternal wrote: »
    Drink ten cans and have a w*nk, release the pressure.
    This.

Then get your head and together and go job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Beer, long walks, hobbies and TV. Work can wait. You're "redundant" - act redundant for a bit and enjoy it. Redundant can be fun. There'll always be more work. Have some play.

Boogie nights is in..perfect film for occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Firstly don't worry. I have been sacked, made redundant or whatever three times, each time I have **** myself.
    In 6 months you will look back and know it was for the best.

Probably should have left anyway if the company is in such a bad state.

My main advice is to weigh up the job offers carefully, we are tempted to jump on the first one that comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

AmberGold wrote: »
    Firstly don't worry. I have been sacked, made redundant or whatever three times, each time I have **** myself.
    In 6 months you will look back and know it was for the best.

Probably should have left anyway if the company is in such a bad state.

My main advice is to weigh up the job offers carefully, we are tempted to jump on the first one that comes along.

Yes to this. remember that 6 months part!! So enjoy what you got while at the same time looking for a new job. Spend an hour or 2 in the morning/afternoon sending in applications, then pack up the laptop and head out for a walk/swim etc. you'll be back in work before you know it.

Don't be afraid of getting professional tips and help towards your CV and interview skills. You'd be surprised how much they can help. Put you ahead of possy. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Get shacked up with the town slut, have six kids, develop a habit for cheap lager and domestic violence, get a white vest and tattoo your arms with that hideous blue ink they use?

Get used to posts like this OP. And feel guilty if you've ever thanked a post like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Start looking for a job right away. There's a load of those b@stard water meter scabs being let go this week too. Get in before them.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

what is your line of work OP? The last time I was given the heave-ho was in 2001, I have been working for myself since barr one 3 month contract in an office job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Get your ex boss's wife pregnant - with triplets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Better that than having to leave work through ill health. Look on the positives.

If you have redundancy money coming, maybe it could be a wait of setting yourself up in business.

Enterprise board may help.

Mate of mine was suicidal after he lost his job but ended up studying food production and with his redundancy cash he actually brought a product he and his girlfriend developed to market.

Now he can't believe he how bothered he was. One door closes and all that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Anyone who says you should dive right back is full of it.

Take some time off .. at least two weeks. Then think about getting back in.

Use that time to reflect. Yes go out and blow off some steam.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

what is your line of work OP? The last time I was given the heave-ho was in 2001, I have been working for myself since barr one 3 month contract in an office job.
    Water meter installations is my guess ;)

Im in IT sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Im in IT sales
    Not for much longer!

(sorry, bad joke)

All the best for the future :)

• Advertisement

deco nate wrote: »
    Not for much longer!

(sorry, bad joke)

All the best for the future :)

Haha

I laughed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Go watch the entire series of Girls und Panzer. Seriously, 12 episodes, absolutely bonkers concept, and its way better than you might think. You'd have it watched over a weekend at a relaxed pace tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The social welfare office are never too pleased about having to make back payments so get this sorted as soon as you can. The experience of setting foot in those filthy kips of offices will spur you into getting a job fairly quickly.

This kind of attitude pisses me off. What makes you think they don't like paying arrears? The money isn't coming out of their pockets so why would they give a toss? Any excuse to have a snipe at PS workers.

The advice is right though OP, straight in to make an appointment to sign on for your Jobseekers Benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Dutch Gold seems to be the most popular brand of beer for scroungers these days. Sure whats the point in working at all when ya can get rewarded more for being a complete waste of space with 7 or 8 illegitimate sprogs. Ireland really is a great country

Sheep Lovers attitude towards life is quite refreshing indeed. Sure at the end of the day, "Ya can bate the wife but ya cant bate the craic"

Basicly OP you should take a leaf out of this guys book

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/e32b88aead4d17322711e0127601c4d0055cde6b_m.jpg

The laid back lifestyle certainly didnt do Onslow any harm(or good for that matter)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Go on the dole and stay on it until you've earned back all the tax you've paid over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Remove trousers; fetch beer; play Elite:Dangerous until your eyes bleed.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well as title suggest..myself and 40 others , some on contract..no doubt there be nothing on news about it

Do i take a few days off- or drive straight into job hunting..has it happened to you

Cheer me up AH folk

Don't worry the economy is on the rise!

*yeh right*

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Cheer me up AH folk

Take at LEAST a month if not two before looking for another position.
    Sleep and listen to soft music for a week. Then go fcuk your brains out in Magaluf while you still have a mickey. Then get back in the rat race and die a second death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

That can't be right OP. I keep hearing we have the fastest growing economy in Europe now. Unemployment is falling and exports are rising. Not to mention the booming house market. In the next budget we can even afford to lower the higher rate of income tax for those poor buggers struggling on the bigger salaries. God help them. We are the poster boys of Europe don't you know. Not like those nasty commie Greeks. All we have to do is listen to Enda and Joan and keep taking it up the arse.

So you must be confused OP. Ask your boss again. 40 redundancies just doesn't fit in to that scenario. Or maybe it's all just a dream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Hey OP are you due any severance pay?

If so I recommend after signing on (immediately) and throwing your CV onto some recuiters, using some of it to pay some outgoings upfront. throw some money onto your ESB bill (purposely over pay to put it into credit), phone UPC and ask if you can pay 3 or 4 month up front, sort out a month or two worth of loan/Morgtage/rent payments, stuff like that.

Once that's done, take a few days to go on a city break somewhere nice and just relax. Ryanair have really cheap flights to Lisbon right now, lovely city, will be nice sunny, food is great and it's cheap as chips. Go watch a match at either Benfica or Sporting while you're there too, the games rarely sell out and tickets are extremely cheap for the standard of football.

As an aside, do you work for o2?

Three will be letting a lot of 3/o2 staff go at the end of this month when their retail footprint is finally consolidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Hey OP are you due any severance pay?

If so I recommend after signing on (immediately) and throwing your CV onto some recuiters, using some of it to pay some outgoings upfront. throw some money onto your ESB bill (purposely over pay to put it into credit), phone UPC and ask if you can pay 3 or 4 month up front, sort out a month or two worth of loan/Morgtage/rent payments, stuff like that.

Once that's done, take a few days to go on a city break somewhere nice and just relax. Ryanair have really cheap flights to Lisbon right now, lovely city, will be nice sunny, food is great and it's cheap as chips. Go watch a match at either Benfica or Sporting while you're there too, the games rarely sell out and tickets are extremely cheap for the standard of football.

As an aside, do you work for o2?

Three will be letting a lot of 3/o2 staff go at the end of this month when their retail footprint is finally consolidated.

Im one of those lucky people, don't work for o2/three but with them (distribution) and there are 11 of us gone from quite a small operation due to it.

Anyone got any jobs going, I'll do anything, really ANYTHING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 kmc25_1

How about reskilling before / while you job seek? You happy in IT sales ? If yes are there specific areas you are interested in?
    Would you be interested in software development at all? The multi nationals are constantly looking for software developers.
    I was made redundant once. Put a plan together to finish off a college course while out of work. Got a job before I got going at it but it felt positive to have a plan and be choosing what I wanted.

Not saying my advice is better in general than some of the advice above. I think it depends on your personality and circumstances. It suited me better to feel like I was improving myself. I can see the good in kicking back for a while also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

pablo128 wrote: »
    Start looking for a job right away. There's a load of those b@stard water meter scabs being let go this week too. Get in before them.:pac:

It took a whole three pages before the thread was I-Winned.

Getting better, lads

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I understand OP, having been there myself.

I'm in IT sales and was made redundant in 2009, got a small payout and put the money towards up skilling myself. If you can afford to do this, I'd highly recommend it - I was hired by an IT firm in Dublin in 2010 based on my sales experience and after 3 years have started to look towards doing something other than sales.

IT sales in particular is basically fcuk or walk at the moment, and when cutbacks happen, sales are usually the first to go. For me I didn't want this to happen again so I began to look at internal roles in operations in the area I studied during my time off. These roles are considered more secure.

Might be something worth thinking about if you don't fancy being in sales the rest of your life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement