Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Beskitas 8.05 KO ITV1 and er 3e

• 19-02-2015 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

In 2007 Liverpool met the current Turkish league leaders in a Champions League tie which ended with a record setting 8-0 scoreline. Its was just the maddest game every attack seemed to end with a score - Andre Voronin had a hand in at least 4 of the goals which is testament enough to its nature! The two meet in more impoverished circumstances this time. The first of two games with a place in the last 16 of the Europa League at stake

Gerrard, Flanno, Lucas are definitely out. Sterling may be in the squad, even start by the sounds of it. Markovic is suspended for 4 games so its the Quarter finals for his return ;)

With a big game against Soton coming up on Sunday Brendan Rodgers is bound to tinker a bit but his scope to do so convincingly is modest.

Beskitas are missing their first choice goalkeeper, Demba Ba shall lead the line

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Weren't there rumours afterwards that Besiktas were being bribed to lose by loads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ba is due a fitness test for tomorrow apparently. Cant imagine us not going full strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I would like to see Rodgers make a few changes with Southampton in mind.

It will be a tough game all the same no matter who we line out with, the turks topped their group and I think they were unbeaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Might be a good game for experience - Toure & Johnson to start. I'd say Lambert too except he's too far from the pace.
    We are a bit limited with 3 midfielders out, so Hendo, Allen and Coutinho probably all start.

Migs
    --Toure-Skrtel-Sakho--
    Johnson
    Moreno
    Allen----Hendo
    Coutinho
    Lallana
    Balotelli

Subs: Ward, Can, Lovren, Ibe, Sterling, Lambert, Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In 2007 Liverpool met the current Turkish league leaders in a Champions League tie which ended with a record setting 8-0 scoreline. Its was just the maddest game every attack seemed to end with a score - Andre Voronin had a hand in at least 4 of the goals which is testament enough to its nature! The two meet in more impoverished circumstances this time. The first of two games with a place in the last 16 of the Europa League at stake

Gerrard, Flanno, Lucas are definitely out Sterling may be the squad even start by the sounds of it. Markovic is suspended for 4 games so its the Quarter finals for his return ;)

With a big game against Soton coming up on Sunday Brendan Rodgers is bound to tinker a bit but his scope to do so convincingly is modest.

Beskitas are missing their first choice goalkeeper, Demba Ba shall lead the line

Wonderful world class performance from his replacement so, the usual at Anfield :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As an Arsenal fan I'm hoping that the Thursday Sunday churn of games has its usual debilitating effect. Both Liverpool and Spurs are looking in really good form so I hope both clubs have a decent run in the Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sturridge will defo start upfront tonight i reckon. I would imagine Ibe will be involved as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im looking forward to this. I wouldnt mind Balo and Studge up front

KO is 8.05 boys !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I hope Rodgers actually makes a go of this competition, I have a feeling he won't though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

brevity wrote: »
    I hope Rodgers actually makes a go of this competition, I have a feeling he won't though.

Nonsense. Rodgers will absolutely be 'making a go' of this. A cup is a cup, a European one on your CV is not to be sniffed at. Not to mention the extremely big carrot of Champions League football next season for the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Didn't he go for it the first time he was in it bringing a strong team to Russia, he'll be going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Haven't seen this Besiktas team play but on paper they seem good. Arsenal struggled out in Turkey an Spurs lost there. It seems as if Besiktas dominated Spurs at WHL too, again going on paper.

Certainly won't be a pushover anyways. I would take the 1-0.

Still a bit iffy about playing a full strength team. I think maybe Lovren/Johnson & Borini should start this one maybe. Coutinho HAS to be rested.

This where Rodgers fell the last time hopefully we can go further this time. Much better squad now so I would expect us to get to atleast last 8 in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nonsense. Rodgers will absolutely be 'making a go' of this. A cup is a cup, a European one on your CV is not to be sniffed at. Not to mention the extremely big carrot of Champions League football next season for the winner

He didn't exactly 'make a go' of it in our biggest European game in years before Xmas when he rested 9 players for the pinnacle of CL games......

kfallon wrote: »
    He didn't exactly 'make a go' of it in our biggest European game in years before Xmas when he rested 9 players for the pinnacle of CL games......

The hammered us at home the same team would have been humiliated at the Bernabeu, he made the right call that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

rob316 wrote: »
    The hammered us at home the same team would have been humiliated at the Bernabeu, he made the right call that night.

He did in his hole, we got beat the following Saturday by Chelsea anyway!

Everyone and their dog beat us before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Why out of interest? If this years cup competitions are anything to go by then he will absolutely be "making a go" for it.

Rodgers is probably under pressure to get Top 4, he will be taking the league and Europa very serious. He has also picked very strong teams in the domestic cups throughout so far, I'd say he is determined to win something this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well he "rotated" 7 players not 9 for a start.

The starting line up was

Mignolet
    Manquillo
    Skrtel
    K Touré
    Moreno
    Can
    Lucas
    Allen
    Markovic
    Borini
    Lallana

Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson are those of importance that missed out, Gerrard too but thats debatable. Borini is the only player there for me that stands out as a weak selection, possibly Allen also.

All in all, not as bad a team as you are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rodgers is probably under pressure to get Top 4, he will be taking the league and Europa very serious. He has also picked very strong teams in the domestic cups throughout so far, I'd say he is determined to win something this season.

Win the Europa League carries the same prize in finishing 4th, in getting into the Play off Round of the next season Champions League so can give both a shot

Just read there the winner of the EL goes straight into the group stages so no tricky qualifier either, that's as good as finishing 3rd so in the EPL. This should be taken very serious and I imagine most teams will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just read there the winner of the EL goes straight into the group stages so no tricky qualifier either, that's as good as finishing 3rd so in the EPL. This should be taken very serious and I imagine most teams will.

The UEFA Europa League winners will be granted access to the play-offs of the subsequent UEFA Champions League season. The UEFA Europa League winners could even gain direct access to the group stage should the UEFA Champions League title holders also qualify via their domestic league, thus freeing up a place in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=1956131.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Besiktas fans having a bit of a party by the Mersey :eek:

I dont think they will be Besi mates with the locals

^^^^^^

Did you see what I did there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Team more or less as expected

Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Allen, Henderson, Moreno, Ibe, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge

Lovren, Lambert, Manquillo, Borini, Balotelli, Sterling, Ward

Confirmed #LFC team v @Besiktas: Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Allen, Henderson, Moreno, Ibe, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge

Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Allen, Henderson, Moreno, Ibe, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge

Lovren, Lambert, Manquillo, Borini, Balotelli, Sterling, Ward

Hi-Fives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

No johnson even on the bench ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Strong as it gets in terms of squad, but we really need another CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No Borini? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

klose wrote: »
    No johnson even on the bench ��

That's what makes any talk of Johnson getting a new contract so unbelievable.

Two 19/20 year old wingers are keeping him out of the team in his favored position

Good strong team. Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

eye bee to score and assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No Borini? :(

That's total BS man!

eye bee to score and assist

I believe you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

FYI ITV1 is just ITV now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The last two have just been build up lads, like those crappy fights on bredoremthe main event in the royal rumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

One of those gas benches.

Sterling, Borini, Lambert and Balo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well thank god Borini isn't starting.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully a decent win (2-0 would be lovely), but Liverpool rarely do things easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The picture on 3e looks like they smeared vaseline across the camera lens.

The picture on 3e looks like they smeared vaseline across the camera lens.

Pity about Clive Tyldesly, but I'm glad of UTVHD for the picture anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

greedy sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

should have passed it... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Greedy Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ibe and Sturridge look in the mood.

A few times already the player has looked to go rather than pass. Hopefully they can calm down a bit and get their heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

3e will have to do, Filmon is 90 seconds behind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement