Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Beskitas 8.05 KO ITV1 and er 3e

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can telling Sturridge to cop on and celebrate. :D

Why would sturridge celebrate does a postmans work colleague celebrate when he dilvers the mail? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Bali looked good when he came on. He could get his act together yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You're all missing the point. The key question out of this is...

What sort of eejit decided Hendo should take a penalty over Mario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

let christy take it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

syngindub wrote: »
    let christy take it !!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

slingerz wrote: »
    Ibe and Balotelli impressive tonight everyone else mar Mignolet decudely average. Besikitas were well organised and a tough nut to crack. Billic would be a good option for a premier league side

I thought Sakho was excellent tonight. Didn't put a foot wrong and played some really great passes.

Not aimed at you but it baffles me that he doesn't get any recognition for his performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I thought Sakho was excellent tonight. Didn't put a foot wrong and played some really great passes.

Not aimed at you but it baffles me that he doesn't get any recognition for his performances.

He just doesnt look comfortable on the ball enough for people to rate him. He has been whopper for us since his recent run in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Super-Rush wrote: »

He just doesn't inspire confidence for me. Recent performances against Spurs and Everton gave examples why. He seems to take the wrong decision under pressure as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

slingerz wrote: »
    Ibe and Balotelli impressive tonight everyone else mar Mignolet decudely average. Besikitas were well organised and a tough nut to crack. Billic would be a good option for a premier league side

I thought Ibe, Coutinho and Lallana all played very well in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sakho made the most passes of any player last night (79) and was the most accurate (94.9%).

Sakho made the most passes of any player last night (79) and was the most accurate (94.9%).

Another example of stats not telling the whole story. On two occasions he played poor passes to Mignolet who hurriedly kicked it nowhere. That goes down statistically as Mignolet giving the ball away.....but it was Sakho who actually caused it with poor passes.

Sakho is not comfortable on the ball. It's not a myth, it's not hyperbole, its not biased analysis. You just have too look at him to see it and enough people have noticed it at this stage. He takes awkward touches and the passes he does make are usually hit too hard, too soft or make his teammates stretch for the ball putting them under pressure.

He has plenty of good attributes but all the stats in the world wont make him Ramos with the ball at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kirby wrote: »
    Another example of stats not telling the whole story. On two occasions he played poor passes to Mignolet who hurriedly kicked it nowhere. That goes down statistically as Mignolet giving the ball away.....but it was Sakho who actually caused it with poor passes.

Sakho is not comfortable on the ball. It's not a myth, it's not hyperbole, its not biased analysis. You just have too look at him to see it and enough people have noticed it at this stage. He takes awkward touches and the passes he does make are usually hit too hard, too soft or make his teammates stretch for the ball putting them under pressure.

He has plenty of good attributes but all the stats in the world wont make him Ramos with the ball at his feet.

Can't agree with much of that to be honest and yes it is hyperbole. Yes Sakho is prone to making at least an error a game but in no way is he less comfortable on the ball than the likes of Skrtel and Lovren and the stats back that up. Can is obviously in a different league to the others with the ball at his feet but even he has made errors in recent games and given the ball away cheaply at times.

Sakho because he looks a bit awkward with long skinny legs seems to have acquired a rep for being some Djimi Traore clone yet he consistently passes the ball well. Occasionally gets himself in trouble because he always looks to play it short rather than lump it down the field. Even when under pressure. In fact if he lumped it every now and then he probably would get himself out of some bad situations but he always looks to play it. I've seen enough defenders who are not comfortable on the ball to know that their first instinct is to launch the ball under any type of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sakho passes the ball out from the back very well. He makes forward passes on the ground to midfielders in space the majority of defenders in the pl don't have this ability. The reason the system is working so well is because Can and Sakho have the passing ability to get the team moving quickly. Most CBs in the pl pass it to each other the full back or 5 yards forward to the defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

No. Your perception is that he's not comfortable on the ball based on your observation on him.

There's countless athletes in other disciplines who have an observable contrary style/technique but it works for them - who's to say it's wrong just because it looks awkward or not the same as everyone else?

He's an international professional footballer. If he was continuously uncomfortable on the ball he'd have been found out a long time ago.

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »
    No. Your perception is that he's not comfortable on the ball based on your observation on him.

There's countless athletes in other disciplines who have an observable contrary style/technique but it works for them - who's to say it's wrong just because it looks awkward or not the same as everyone else?

He's an international professional footballer. If he was continuously uncomfortable on the ball he'd have been found out a long time ago

This is faulty logic.

There are plenty of excellent, international footballers who are terrible with the ball at their feet. None of them have been "found out" because the world already knows they aren't Messi. And there is no problem in that. It's not the most important aspect to being a good defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sakho always has a high passing completion %. The stat alone tells very little as Kirby said. As with all stats taken in isolation. It doesn't mean he's the best passer in our team.

I think his passing is mostly good though. Just not 90+% perfect as some of the stats may suggest.

syngindub wrote: »
    let christy take it !!

Only seeing this now, brilliant!

If we're talking faulty logic then your 'look at him, he looks awkward on the ball, he must be uncomfortable with the ball at his feet' argument loses merit pretty quickly.

SM01 wrote: »
    If we're talking faulty logic then your 'look at him, he looks awkward on the ball, he must be uncomfortable with the ball at his feet' argument loses merit pretty quickly.

That's......not my argument. You can attribute it to me all you want but all you are doing is building a strawman.

Peter crouch looks massively awkward yet he has a good touch. Zidane was a lump and had amazing finesse and technique.

Looking awkward and gangly has nothing to do with Sakho's issue. You watch him play. He takes poor touches and makes poor passes. If he looked silky smooth and had all the shapes but was still a poor passer I would be saying the same thing. There is no need to white knight him here. It's not a conspiracy. He's not comfortable with the ball at his feet. Fans have spotted it. Pundits have done. And so have opposition managers. His stats are high for the same reason John Obi Mikel's are. And hes another poor passer of the ball too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Only seeing this now, brilliant!

Need to sort out the priority for penalty kicks, we dont need another Hendo meltdown if someone else more qualified snatches the ball off him

christy01long.gif

Well you say it here so it's fair game for me to question it.

But okay, the main point you're making (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the stats don't paint a true picture of Sakho's passing and the quality of his isn't good. I personally don't agree with this, nor do I see these awkward touches you mention. I see unorthodox biomechanics, precise passing and a player who isn't wasteful with the ball. Nor do I recall seeing a player having control issues with the weight of his passing to them.

You make comments like "He's not comfortable with the ball at his feet. Fans have spotted it. Pundits have done. And so have opposition managers." as if it's fact and adds substance to your argument when it's just bluster and hot air. I've heard fans and pundits say he looks ungainly but ungainly does not equal uncomfortable / poor passer.

By the way I have no specific allegiance or affinity to the footballer, I just don't see any merit in what you're saying so I've no interest conspiracies or white knighting you mention.

Advertisement