Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gandalf wrote: »
    So Mays tigress turns out to have sponge teeth. Very weak sanctions against the Russians.

It's only a start & way too early to announce anything but the diplomatic basics. You don't warn people in advance. The UK has a seriously well developed intelligence system. They will know a huge amount more than they say. They won't supply samples etc until they are 100% clear about where this stuff was produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

http://abcnews.go.com/International/uk-expelling-23-russian-diplomats-spys-poisoning/story?id=53736754

It looks like Russian assets in the UK may be getting frozen, and further sanctions to be announced by 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Chrongen wrote: »
    Russia's response will be interesting. No doubt it will be measured and well thought out and will effectively hurt Teresa May and Britain for her rash and cavalier behaviour.
    Its a dangerous game trying to look big on the world stage to impress the yanks.
    I only discovered today that BP has a 20% share in Russian energy giant Rosneft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

And it seems nobody can explain why Russia would want to "off" a has-been.

Why would Russia do such a thing and leave such a trail?

To send a very clear message

Other members of the family have died in the last 2 years under suspicious circumstances yet it hasn't garnered much international attention. Using polonium 210 and military-grade nerve agents to kill "traitors" gets far more attention.

Whether it's blatantly annexing territory, sparking an internal war, meddling with elections, national doping, sheltering wanted men, having journalists/lawyers/opposition/spies jailed and worse.. there are no checks and balances in Russia, nothing to hold Putin to account, nothing approaching independent media, no genuine opposition that isn't under house arrest or prison (or worse), the Duma is just a rubber stamping outfit. It doesn't affect his ratings in the slightest. The largest voting block is apathetic and the next largest voting block is heavily nationalist - who strongly support these types of actions

This has been going on for years - he is only ever held to account by the international community. Modern day Russia simply does not have the means. There is next to nothing the average Russian can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its a dangerous game trying to look big on the world stage to impress the yanks.
    I only discovered today that BP has a 20% share in Russian energy giant Rosneft.

You do realise your economics are in the gutter ,
    Sieze the billions of cash and property belonging to Putins mafia in the UK and suddenly putin will start to feel pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gatling wrote: »
    I know Gandalf touched on the world cup ,but after the invasion , occupation of Crimea and eastern Ukraine and along with the Shooting down of MH17 , which had Seth Blatter personally flying to Moscow to guarantee that Russia wouldn't be touched over their actions ,I wouldn't have expected anything further ,it was shown with the Olympics doping scandal ,russia believes they are immune from any action ,

Don't forget one of the main sponsors of the Champions League are a Russian company. FIFA and UEFA have been well paid off by the Kremlin and it's lackeys. There is no way Russia should have ever been given the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Didn't American forces wipe out 400+ russian soldiers very recently in Syria ,
    You are watching too many fantasy movies.

na1 wrote: »

Happened in Syria fact ,

But russia went very quite on the incident took them a week to say they were only mercenaries except till other russian soldiers confirmerd they got annilated against American forces ..

Happened in Syria fact ,

But russia went very quite on the incident took them a week to say they were only mercenaries except till other russian soldiers confirmerd they got annilated against American forces ..

Naw the real number was apparently 10-20, here's a link to an article from Der Spiegel.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/american-fury-the-truth-about-the-russian-deaths-in-syria-a-1196074.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook#ref=rss

The false numbers were put out by characters like Igor "Strelkov" Girkin, remember him from the Ukrainian incursion by Russian troops, sorry I mean patriots.

I know Gandalf touched on the world cup ,but after the invasion , occupation of Crimea and eastern Ukraine
    You need to learn history. Occupation of Crimea started in 1995 when the Independent Republic of Crimea(1992—1995) was annexed by the new state of Ukraine (1991-...)
    The President of Crimea was illegally dismissed by Ukrainian authorities. By that time the Republic of Crimea have asked Russia for support, but the requests were rejected at that time by Yeltsin
    In 2014 the independent Republic of Crimea held a referendum to join Russia, and the majority of the population have supported that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

What's your opinion on climate change deniers?
    Do they get a pass if they bash Russia?

No I dare say we can unite in a shared belief of climate deniers being fairly deluded. Similar modus operandi for both, take the bulk of professional opinion and academic work and simply write it off as 'biased or flawed or Jewish' whilst substituting it for the ramblings of some nut on the net. So here we are, a shared opinion, yay :D

Happened in Syria fact ,

ORLY? Any statements that support that?

Happened in Syria fact ,

ORLY? Any statements that support that?

In 2014 the independent Republic of Crimea held a referendum to join Russia, and the majority of the population have supported that.

Bs now run along there ted ,

You need to learn history. Occupation of Crimea started in 1995 when the Independent Republic of Crimea(1992—1995) was annexed by the new state of Ukraine (1991-...)
    The President of Crimea was illegally dismissed by Ukrainian authorities. By that time the Republic of Crimea have asked Russia for support, but the requests were rejected at that time by Yeltsin

Nope you need to learn international law. The only legal way for Crimea to leave the Ukraine was by national referendum. That never happened so Russia's actions were illegal. But hey we have covered this numerous times already with other IRA accounts ;)

Nope you need to learn international law. The only legal way for Crimea to leave the Ukraine was by national referendum. That never happened so Russia's actions were illegal. But hey we have covered this numerous times already with other IRA accounts ;)
    Really? What is national referendum? The ~90% people of Crimea have voted.
    Or do you mean all-Ukrainian referendum?

UK warning people to be careful if they are travelling to Russia & to expect orchestrated anti UK protests etc. More sanctions/actions to be announced this evening.

Well that one was declared as illegal. The only legal way for the secede from the Ukraine was by a national referendum.

Yes that is the only way for Crimea to secede from Ukraine. The so called vote in Crimea has been widely debunked as a farce and not a valid vote and illegal. This has been covered numerous times before I suggest you review the extensive threads from back then.
    So the Scottish referendum was illegal? And Brits allow the violation of so called "international law" (BTW, where can I read it?)

Putin says this & wonders why the UK blame him

Putin briefly dropped his image as Russia’s tough but merciful czar to make clear that he could forgive misdeeds by wayward subjects but “not everything.” Asked what could not be forgiven, Mr. Putin said bluntly, “Betrayal.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/world/europe/skripal-putin-poisoning-russia.html

• Advertisement

So the Scottish referendum was illegal? And Brits allow the violation of so called "international law" (BTW, where can I read it?)

Lol given the Scottish referendum was run by the British government according to their constitution it was legal. Article 73 of the Ukrainian Constitution is unequivocal: "Alterations to the territory of Ukraine shall be resolved exclusively by the All-Ukrainian referendum." so as this didn't happen the vote that took place was illegal. I'd suggest that you read back over the numerous threads back then as this has been discussed here already although I doubt you care ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You do realise your economics are in the gutter ,
    Sieze the billions of cash and property belonging to Putins mafia in the UK and suddenly putin will start to feel pressure
    Just shows what you know! Why did Britain allow these oligarchs into the country in the first place? These mafia as you call them are anti Putin which is the reason why they cleared out of Russia with their loot.
    Go ahead and seize the billions, who cares! It would serve them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just shows what you know! Why did Britain allow these oligarchs into the country in the first place? These mafia as you call them are anti Putin which is the reason why they cleared out of Russia with their loot.

Are all of them anti-Putin?
    I thought Abramovich knew which side his bread was buttered on?

Apparently Usmanov and Abramovich are close to Putin so not all the oligarchs in the UK are anti Putin. I'd love to see Abramovich get done to see Chelsea get tanked but that's just my lower football supporting segment of my brain taking over :)

Lol given the Scottish referendum was run by the British government according to their constitution it was legal. Article 73 of the Ukrainian Constitution is unequivocal: "Alterations to the territory of Ukraine shall be resolved exclusively by the All-Ukrainian referendum." so as this didn't happen the vote that took place was illegal. I'd suggest that you read back over the numerous threads back then as this has been discussed here already although I doubt you care ;)
    Are we talking now about "international law" or "Ukrainian Constitution"?

Apparently Usmanov and Abramovich are close to Putin so not all the oligarchs in the UK are anti Putin. I'd love to see Abramovich get done to see Chelsea get tanked but that's just my lower football supporting segment of my brain taking over :)

Non of them are. You don't get to be one without Vlads approval & according to experts, paying him his share.

He's worth in excess of 40 billion according to this report:

The most often cited estimate comes from a former mid-level Kremlin adviser named Stanislav Belkovsky. In 2007, he claimed Putin had a fortune worth at least $40 billion—a figure that would put him in the top 10 of Forbes magazine’s ranking of billionaires.

http://time.com/money/4641093/vladimir-putin-net-worth/

Well we all know Russia's definition of international law. "We have more tanks than you" ;)

Well we all know Russia's definition of international law. "We have more tanks than you" ;)

So your previous statement about "violation of international law" was not true?
    So the Russia (or actually the Crimea) has violated the Ukrainian Constitution?
    That's also being disputed, the Republic of Crimea never formally accept the Ukrainian Constitution.
    And Ukraine never signed the border demarcation with Russia anyway. So formally there were no officially acknowledged  borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Discodog wrote: »
    Putin says this & wonders why the UK blame him

Putin briefly dropped his image as Russia’s tough but merciful czar to make clear that he could forgive misdeeds by wayward subjects but “not everything.” Asked what could not be forgiven, Mr. Putin said bluntly, “Betrayal.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/world/europe/skripal-putin-poisoning-russia.html

The difference is the UK has not yet provided anything that would categorically show Putin and Kremlin ordered this attack. There are 150 million people in Russia so how they know this attack was not carried out by Anti Putin people inside Russia? Skipral was a UK spy since 2010 he could had bad relationships with other people who wanted him dead. Russia is an easy scapegoat in 2018..

• Advertisement

BTW, what is the NATO-s definition of international law?
    The Yugoslavia, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan  and Iraq are just curious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement