Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Navalny and his brother were convicted in December 2014 of money laundering and defrauding their business partner. Three years before the election. Under Russian law, a candidate cannot run for election if convicted by a Russian court.
    D you have every single last detail of that court case?

I mean that's what people want pro-Putin posters want to see immediately, only a week or two after the attack, in the UK... so surely they have every one of the details on hand and have read through them for Navalny's trial and can produce them for us immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

To claim he had no opposition is wrong (video below) Putin is just well liked by his countrymen and women who vote for him. I'm a fan of his foreign policy. Russia domestic policy is far from perfect but we seem to often ignore its rival ongoing issues with race and gay rights. America had 100 years of slavery, 50 years of apartheid and still they can't sort out race issues over there. The cheating by Hilary Clinton party so that Bernie Sanders would lose the election, that was deliberate fraud.

How about the race & homophobic issues in Russia ?

The USA is no saint & Trump is an idiot but don't make out that Putin is any better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Long before the day the iraqi army were encouraged to run away and leave all their gear behind for Isis/daesh/whatever they are calling themselves today
    Amazing how the terrorists "found" hundreds of Toyota trucks in the middle of the desert to load all of these weapons on to.

That's not 'whataboutery' is it? Need to be careful!

Discodog wrote: »

The USA is no saint & Trump is an idiot but don't make out that Putin is any better
    I saw someone say something homophobic before in the US, so the whole country is no different to Russia where being gay is considered the same as being a paedophile. #Kremlogic

So beloved that on top of routinely banning/imprisoning the opposition, Dear Uncle Leader Vlad only needs supporters to vote for him 2 or 3 times each.

nintchdbpict000393751721-1.jpg

nintchdbpict000393751708-1.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=960

nintchdbpict000393751693-1.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=960

nintchdbpict000393751697-1.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=960

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Amazing how the terrorists "found" hundreds of Toyota trucks in the middle of the desert to load all of these weapons on to.

That's not 'whataboutery' is it? Need to be careful!

Indeed,this poor plumber ended up getting death threats...

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-12-15/how-texas-plumbers-truck-wound-isis-hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Beasty wrote: »
    Damned if you ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence that's in one direction. But yes, there is the remotest chance that he's right and the rest of the World is wrong. There's also a chance I could reach the age of 200. Now that does sound preposterous and I'm not holding my breath on it....

Lets see how right you are.

Russia election process had 77 candidates, not a small number of people

Primaries were held in two rounds, the first round took place from 2 to 23 November, and the second round – from 24 to 30 November.

77 candidates were reduced to 9 on election day. Candidates with different parties agendas and ideas.

Nine candidates
    Sergey Baburin
    Russian All-People's Union

Pavel Grudinin
    Communist Party

Vladimir Zhirinovsky
    Liberal Democratic Party

Vladimir Putin
    Independent

Ksenia Sobchak
    Civic Initiative

Maxim Suraykin
    Communists of Russia

Boris Titov
    Party of Growth

Grigory Yavlinsky
    Yabloko

Now that we have found out your wrong Putin had no opposition. Let us look at Putin main opposition opponent (Aleksei Navalny) who was stopped running in the Russian election.

First off if you're convicted of a crime you can not run for election! Western media says stopping his rival from running for president is horrible and proves the election is unfair?

What kind of man is Aleksei Navalny the west is so supportive of? Atlantic a US newspaper outlet from Boston wrote about him

"Controversially, Navalny has participated in the annual Russian March, a parade uniting Russian nationalist groups of all stripes. He has also endorsed a nationalist-led campaign called Stop Feeding the Caucasus that has called for ending federal subsidies to the "corrupt" and "ineffective" governments of Chechnya and other North Caucasus republics

"He also supported Russia in its war against Georgia in August 2008, using a derogatory term for Georgians in some of his blog posts and calling for all Georgians to be expelled from Russia. He has since apologized for using the racist epithet but says he stands by the other positions he took at that time.

"He has at various times called for deporting illegal immigrants and introducing a visa regime for the countries of Central Asia.

"Engelina Tareyeva, who worked with Navalny when he was a member of the liberal Yabloko party before he was expelled in 2007, has accused him of routinely using racial slurs and basing his relations with people on their ethnicity. "I consider Aleksei Navalny the most dangerous man in Russia," Tareyeva has written. "You don't have to be a genius to understand that the most horrific thing that could happen in our country would be the nationalists coming to power."

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/is-aleksei-navalny-a-liberal-or-a-nationalist/278186/

Is this the kind of man you want controlling Russia nuclear arsenal?

Still waiting on the full details and transcripts of his entire court case, otherwise by the standards of many Putin supporters, Navalny's trial was a sham trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Billy86 wrote: »
    Still waiting on the full details and transcripts of his entire court case, otherwise by the standards of many Putin supporters, Navalny's trial was a sham trial.

the correct term is "show trial". it is a russian specialty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I never said I was supportive of him, but simply that his exclusion from the election was indicative of the approach taken by Putin and his cronies.

I have little interest in his own agenda, and care as much about his "potential" as a leader as I do for Putin. However Putin is the controller here. What he says goes. He will manipulate both with propaganda and physical force to ensure he retains power. There is nothing approaching democracy in Russia.

Is the "Russian model" one that you would like to see operated in Ireland? I guess it would be one way of shutting down this thread (and probably the whole site)

You can suck up to him as much as you want. You can plead his case for him as you wish. You can be his propaganda mouthpiece here. Don't think you're going to convince me mind.....

• Advertisement

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Russia's foreign policy also included annexing Crimea.. You'll no doubt claim that it wasn't anything to do with them.

65 percent of the population identify themselves as Russian in Crimea. I not sure why you keeping saying it was Ukrainian land? It only returned to Ukraine after the Soviet Union collapsed. Putin called an election and the people voted for a return to Russian rule. Ukraine even recognised it special status by allowing thousands of Russian troops to be stationed at Sevastopol.

Don't worry though, with the high standard of evidence that the Putin supporters in here hold I am sure they have held Dear Leader to the same standard and so can give us the daily minutes of the trial and all details of every piece of evidence therein. They'll be posting it any moment now...

Beasty wrote: »
    I never said I was supportive of him, but simply that his exclusion from the election was indicative of the approach taken by Putin and his cronies.

I have little interest in his own agenda, and care as much about his "potential" as a leader as I do for Putin. However Putin is the controller here. What he says goes. He will manipulate both with propaganda and physical force to ensure he retains power. There is nothing approaching democracy in Russia.

Is the "Russian model" one that you would like to see operated in Ireland? I guess it would be one way of shutting down this thread (and probably the whole site)

You can suck up to him as much as you want. You can plead his case for him as you wish. You can be his propaganda mouthpiece here. Don't think you're going to convince me mind.....

Aleksei Navalny was convicted of a crime under Russian law his not allowed to run. Putin did not stop him Russian law stopped him. And we don't want another crazy nationalist running Russia into the ground. It those not benefit the wider world or Russian people.

RTE gives more airtime to the bigger parties than smaller parties when the election occurs here. So its nonsense to say Putin is controlling the media.

Discodog wrote: »

Russia recognised gay rights in 1993. What upsetting people in the West (Russia) has a law banning gay media in public. The law main purpose is to protect Russia children from viewing it.

65 percent of the population identify themselves as Russian in Crimea. I not sure why you keeping saying it was Ukrainian land? It only returned to Ukraine after the Soviet Union collapsed.

So it was ukranian land then, given that it was returned to the Ukraine?
    Putin called an election and the people voted for a return to Russian rule.

What right did putin have to call an election in a foreign country?
    Ukraine even recognised it special status by allowing thousands of Russian troops to be stationed at Sevastopol.

that applied to the port only and not to the Crimea as a whole. They were allowed to station troops there. they did not rule there.

The European Court of Human rights (ECHR) refused to recognize the embezzlement case against Russian activists Aleksey and Oleg Navalny as politically-motivated.

The Russian Justice Ministry welcomed the move in a Tuesday statement. “The ECHR has refused to acknowledge the presence of political motives in the actions of the national law enforcement agencies for bringing the Navalny brothers to account for the crimes they committed,” justice ministry representatives told TASS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Now that we have found out your wrong Putin had no opposition. Let us look at Putin main opposition opponent (Aleksei Navalny) who was stopped running in the Russian election.

First off if you're convicted of a crime you can not run for election! Western media says stopping his rival from running for president is horrible and proves the election is unfair?

Yes and so does the European Court of Human Rights
    The Strasbourg-based ECHR said Navalny and his brother Oleg’s convictions for fraud and money laundering were based on an unforeseeable application of criminal law and that the proceedings were arbitrary and unfair.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-navalny-echr/russian-opposition-leaders-fraud-conviction-arbitrary-europes-top-rights-court-says-idUSKBN1CM1D7

weisses wrote: »

That a sidenote about a fair trial in Russia. The European Court of human rights did not recognise those charges were politically motivated something you guys are claiming on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Russia recognised gay rights in 1993. What upsetting people in the West (Russia) has a law banning gay media in public. The law main purpose is to protect Russia children from viewing it.

*Furtive eyebrow raise*

And pray tell, what are these 'gay media' of which you speak?

So it was ukranian land then, given that it was returned to the Ukraine?

that applied to the port only and not to the Crimea as a whole. They were allowed to station troops there. they did not rule there.

The people in Crimea decided to not be part of Ukraine after the coup. Go watch the news from that area back then. The Ukranian army was sending in its army to quell the uprising in Crimea. Russia moved into to stop the bloodshed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Russia election process had 77 candidates, not a small number of people

Primaries were held in two rounds, the first round took place from 2 to 23 November, and the second round – from 24 to 30 November.

77 candidates were reduced to 9 on election day. Candidates with different parties agendas and ideas.

Nine candidates
    Sergey Baburin
    Russian All-People's Union

Pavel Grudinin
    Communist Party

Vladimir Zhirinovsky
    Liberal Democratic Party

Vladimir Putin
    Independent

Ksenia Sobchak
    Civic Initiative

Maxim Suraykin
    Communists of Russia

Boris Titov
    Party of Growth

Grigory Yavlinsky
    Yabloko

What kind of man is Aleksei Navalny the west is so supportive of? Atlantic a US newspaper outlet from Boston wrote about him

"Controversially, Navalny has participated in the annual Russian March, a parade uniting Russian nationalist groups of all stripes. He has also endorsed a nationalist-led campaign called Stop Feeding the Caucasus that has called for ending federal subsidies to the "corrupt" and "ineffective" governments of Chechnya and other North Caucasus republics

Is this the kind of man you want controlling Russia nuclear arsenal?
    Anybody but Vladimir Putin is who they want, those who repeat the same few phrases that they heard on BBC so called news, those whose knowledge of Russia is so vast that they could not name more than two Russian cities. Vladimir Putin is the "bad man" and that is the extent of the arguement for most of those who have never stepped foot in Russia is in their lives and don't know a single Russian as they cheer on a CIA stooge like Navalny. They probably cannot even pronounce his name.

The people in Crimea decided to not be part of Ukraine after the coup. Go watch the news from that area back then. The Ukranian army was sending in its army to quell the uprising in Crimea. Russia moved into to stop the bloodshed.
    Russia moved in long before that. Oh sorry, "Russians on holiday"...

Still waiting on all those fine details you must have of the Navalny trial by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

It was already known, long before the "election" that putin would win one way or another. I hear his mates have all done very well in the new russia. Quite a character and if you mess with him, he will kill you!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Russia moved in long before that. Oh sorry, "Russians on holiday"...

The February 2014 revolution that ousted Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych sparked a political crisis in Crimea, which initially manifested as demonstrations against the new interim Ukrainian government, but rapidly escalated. In January 2014 the Sevastopol city council had already called for formation of "people's militia" units to "ensure firm defence" of the city from "extremism".[82][83]

Crimean parliament members called for an extraordinary meeting on 21 February. Crimean Tatar Mejlis chairman Mustafa Dzhemilev said that he suspected that the meeting was arranged to call for Russian military intervention in Crimea.[84] In response to this, the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said that it would "use severe measures to prevent any action taken against diminishing the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine"

The February 2014 revolution that ousted Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych sparked a political crisis in Crimea, which initially manifested as demonstrations against the new interim Ukrainian government, but rapidly escalated. In January 2014 the Sevastopol city council had already called for formation of "people's militia" units to "ensure firm defence" of the city from "extremism".[82][83]

Crimean parliament members called for an extraordinary meeting on 21 February. Crimean Tatar Mejlis chairman Mustafa Dzhemilev said that he suspected that the meeting was arranged to call for Russian military intervention in Crimea.[84] In response to this, the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said that it would "use severe measures to prevent any action taken against diminishing the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine"

so you accept that Crimea was Ukraine sovereign territory?

I recognise the Crimean people right to decide who they are ruled by. Clearly, the majority of Crimeans want to be ruled by Russia. So no I don't recognise Crimea belonging to Ukraine.

I recognise the Crimean people right to decide who they are ruled by. Clearly, the majority of Crimeans want to be ruled by Russia. So no I don't recognise Crimea belonging to Ukraine.

so Crimea was never Ukraine sovereign territory? you said as much yourself that it was. Now it is not. What changed was the invasion of russian troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No, you can't say anything positive about being gay. You can't even say it's ok to be gay.

And viewing "it"? What is "it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Was Khrushchev's decision to hand over Crimea from Russia to Ukraine without consulting a single citizen of Crimea legitimate and democratic?
    Yes or No?

Why was one the first acts of the newly independent Ukraine in 1991 the granting of a Sovereignty/Autonomy Referendum to Crimea?
    It was clear recognition of the fact that Crimea is ethnically Russian. That's why.
    Because he knew the outcome would be similar to the 1991 Referendum - a landslide.

• Advertisement

so Crimea was never Ukraine sovereign territory? you said as much yourself that it was. Now it is not. What changed was the invasion of russian troops.

In 1783, Crimea became a part of the Russian Empire Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, Crimea became an autonomous republic within the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic in the USSR.

300 years it belonged to Russia.

With the collapse of the Soviet Union, Ukraine was formed as an independent state in 1991 and most of the peninsula was reorganized as the Autonomous Republic of Crimea.

Even after the collapse of the Soviet Union Ukraine recognised Crimea special status.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement